Board index » cppbuilder » Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..


2004-11-18 10:34:31 AM
cppbuilder13
Bought BORL stock because I believed in them. Bought it because they
were a company making development tools that I loved to use, and knew to
be the best. Bought them because they had promise.
Suffered these past 3 or 4 years watching idiot PHB's lead Borland into
complete oblivion.
Gotta say, feels great to get out...
--Steve (I'll still use BCPPBuilder damnit!)
 
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

Amazing!... that you found someone to buy your BORL.. They must be from
other planet...
Quote
Bought BORL stock because I believed in them. Bought it because they were
a company making development tools that I loved to use, and knew to be the
best. Bought them because they had promise.

Suffered these past 3 or 4 years watching idiot PHB's lead Borland into
complete oblivion.

Gotta say, feels great to get out...

--Steve (I'll still use BCPPBuilder damnit!)
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

Stephen Waits wrote:
Quote

Bought BORL stock because I believed in them. Bought it because they
were a company making development tools that I loved to use, and knew to
be the best. Bought them because they had promise.

Suffered these past 3 or 4 years watching idiot PHB's lead Borland into
complete oblivion.

Gotta say, feels great to get out...

--Steve (I'll still use BCPPBuilder damnit!)
<mental note>
Strong BORL buy signal.
</mental note>
 

{smallsort}

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

Danzer < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Quote
<mental note>
Strong BORL buy signal.
</mental note>
As of right now:
BORL BORLAND SFTWARE 11.65 +0.17%
--
Chris (TeamB);
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

I actually think BORL is a strong buy. if it goes down to 10, i'm
buying it.
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:45:34 -0500, Mike Margerum < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:
Quote
I actually think BORL is a strong buy.
Why? The stock hasn't done anything since 1997 and is currently at a
52 week high. Wait six months and buy it at $8/sh.
---
Michael McCulloch
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

Michael McCulloch wrote:
Quote
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:45:34 -0500, Mike Margerum < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:

>I actually think BORL is a strong buy.

Why? The stock hasn't done anything since 1997 and is currently at a
52 week high. Wait six months and buy it at $8/sh.
Exactly. Those of us who've been in this stock for a long time know
that 11.50 is pretty good. It might breakout.. but generally it seems
to just be riding along with the rest of the market.
In my eyes, I no longer see value in this company, a company I once
strongly evangelized as the best development tool developer in the
world. Sad day...
--Steve
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

Michael McCulloch wrote:
Quote
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:45:34 -0500, Mike Margerum < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:

>I actually think BORL is a strong buy.

Why? The stock hasn't done anything since 1997 and is currently at a
52 week high. Wait six months and buy it at $8/sh.

---
Michael McCulloch
I bought at $4.75. What the heck, I'll let it ride.
-Michael
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

Stephen Waits wrote:
Quote

Exactly. Those of us who've been in this stock for a long time know
that 11.50 is pretty good. It might breakout.. but generally it seems
to just be riding along with the rest of the market.

In my eyes, I no longer see value in this company, a company I once
strongly evangelized as the best development tool developer in the
world. Sad day...

--Steve
Since this entire thread is moving toward off-topic, I will continue the
trend. I am a trader and lurk in this and other Borland newsgroups
because all of my technical analysis tools are written in BCB. My
comment had nothing to do with the value of Borland as a company. It
was more of a contrarian viewpoint along the lines of the old trading
axiom "buy fear and sell greed".
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

begin 5 years ahead of anyone else in the ALM front. Only reason.
Michael McCulloch wrote:
Quote
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:45:34 -0500, Mike Margerum < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:


>I actually think BORL is a strong buy.


Why? The stock hasn't done anything since 1997 and is currently at a
52 week high. Wait six months and buy it at $8/sh.

---
Michael McCulloch
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

I just wish they'd cut the architect price. I think they have a winner
there.
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

Mike Margerum wrote:
Quote
begin 5 years ahead of anyone else in the ALM front. Only reason.
ALM is garbage. PHB's love it.. developers need development tools.
--Steve
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

"Stephen Waits" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
Exactly. Those of us who've been in this stock for a long time know that
11.50 is pretty good. It might breakout.. but generally it seems
You must be kidding. It's not the lowest moment for BORL, but the stock was
nothing but garbage for more than a decade. It was going down all the way
from 1992, when it closed above $86. There were progressively weaker and
weaker rallies in '93 - 27, in '96 - $21, in 2000 - $20, in 2002 - $18. Now
it's retracing 8-14 range where it's basically locked. It did rally lately
in sympathy with the market, but this stock has no future, as well as the
company itself under the current management.
-----------------------------------------------------
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the
average voter -- Winston Churchill
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

Pardon my jumping in but you say "ALM is garbage". Why?
"PHB's love it" - What is a "PHB"?
. Ed
Quote
Stephen Waits wrote:
>begin 5 years ahead of anyone else in the ALM front.
>Only reason.

ALM is garbage. PHB's love it.. developers need
development tools.
 

Re:Sold all my BORL and feel great about it..

Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
Quote
Pardon my jumping in but you say "ALM is garbage". Why?

"PHB's love it" - What is a "PHB"?

. Ed


>Stephen Waits wrote:
>
>>begin 5 years ahead of anyone else in the ALM front.
>>Only reason.
>
>ALM is garbage. PHB's love it.. developers need
>development tools.


Boy Ed...what a topic for me to "chime in" on. A subject I hold near and
dear to my frigid heart. Where to start...where to start....I'll boil
actually.
It's all about CONTROL. "Process Control" as a matter of fact.
Management for years think has a "Control fixation". Everyone has this
or that development methodology to throw at the "problem" of software
development ( Agile , XP, MOA, CDA , etc. ), but the fact of the matter
isn't so much in my 20+ years in this business in WHAT methodology you
employ, so much as the APPLICATION OF the methodology you employ.
Managers jump on this or that, thinking it's the "Best thing to happen
to development next to the discovery of the New World". They don't
necessarily learn the full implication of any given methodology before
embarking down the primrose path they take, they usually end up
dictating that decision to the developers ( Who usually whine about it.
And to those you who do, "Quit it, or I'll turn this car around, and no
one gets to go the merry-go-round". ), who for the most part, have
nothing to say about it.
The problem with "MOST" software development organizations is that
management wants to controls practically every bodily function related
to the production of software. I can't say as I necessarily blame them,
but it's to their discredit that they have these "Control issues". IF
most management were actually competent in fostering productive
development environments ( even while pushing a methdology they only
understand by "name" ), more good software would be produced, on time (
realistic time ), and closer ( on budget...who came up with the initial
costs figures ? Oh, that's right, the same guy who thinks "XP" refers to
the latest M$ OS, and thinks "eXtreme Programming" is software
development done while rock climbing a butte in New Mexico ) to budget.
SO. What does all that ranting have to do with ALM. I'm glad you asked,
ALM is just ONE MORE ridiculous attempt by management to "get their
control on" ( my apologies to those who came up with the vernacular
phrase "get their freak on" ). What is wrong with it, is that most ALM
implementations require a complete though process makeover, not only to
how the vast majority of developers have been taught in universities (
please, by all means, correct me if I'm wrong, but no major UNI that I
know of, provides an undergrad course in "Application Lifecycle
Management" ), but also how people work as, PEOPLE. ALM hopes to
engender a generation of developers who fit Boz Eloy's impression of
what we are:
1. We're not creative, we just do what we're told.
2. We have no creative thought to add to the process.
3. Only the Architect has the "overall vision" ( Yeah, Right, don't make
me laugh already ).
4. Only management has the mandate to control "the process".
Think I'm kidding, look it up online yourself. Go to sdmagazine.com, and
look for an interview with him and Dale, from Sept 2004.
ALM is a nice idea, but frankly, works only in concert with a
"sweatshop" style of development organization. From reading this, and
other newsgroups and forums for years, I think I can safely say that in
the "western world", that just isn't going to fly. ALM hopes to impose
stricter controls over a process that isn't as clearly cut as
mechanical, as most management folks have the dilusional impression that
it is.
You can disagree with that assessment, but hey, you're welcome to work
for a "sweatshop" organization if you want. Knock yourself out.
Marcelo Lopez