Re: How do you pronounce Delphi?

2005-01-04 05:11:15 AM
cppbuilder4
Ron Sawyer wrote:
I have always pronounced it: Del-FI but recently heard it pronounced
Del-FEE.

That's the pronunciation used a few years back after the price was
raised... <G>
David Erbas-White

Re:Re: How do you pronounce Delphi?

"Ron Sawyer" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I have always pronounced it: Del-FI but recently
heard it pronounced Del-FEE.
I have heard it go both ways many times, but I always use the latter myself.
Gambit

{smallsort}

"Ron Sawyer" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
I have always pronounced it: Del-FI but recently heard it pronounced
Del-FEE.
In Greece, they use the latter - and they should know it :-)

Re:Re: How do you pronounce Delphi?

>I have always pronounced it: Del-FI but recently heard it pronounced
>Del-FEE.

In Greece, they use the latter - and they should know it :-)
In Greece in particular it should be pronounced as DEL-PHOI. Furthermore,
Americans say DEL-FI and all the rest say DEL-FEE.

Jennifer Ashley Kuiper wrote:
In Greece in particular it should be pronounced as DEL-PHOI. Furthermore,
Americans say DEL-FI and all the rest say DEL-FEE.
^^^^^^^
Which, of course, is the correct way to say it.
LP,
Dejan

DS wrote:
Jennifer Ashley Kuiper wrote:

>In Greece in particular it should be pronounced as DEL-PHOI.
>Furthermore, Americans say DEL-FI and all the rest say DEL-FEE.
^^^^^^^

Which, of course, is the correct way to say it.

<obscure Monty Python reference>
Actually, it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove".
</obscure Monty Python reference>
--
Ken
planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/kencamargo/

Re:Re: How do you pronounce Delphi?

Hi,
in Austria and I think everywhere in the german
spoken region (Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, ...)
it is pronounced as DEL_FE (short spoken FE wheras FEE would be
very long).
Greetings Roman
Ron Sawyer wrote:
I have always pronounced it: Del-FI but recently heard it pronounced
Del-FEE.

Re:Re: How do you pronounce Delphi?

I don't think anyone uses a long 'del_fee' - I guess the OP just wanted to
distinguish the 'e' sound from the 'eye' sound.
Just checked my dictionary - the final vowel [I] is pronounced as in 'busy'
[BIZI],'sieve' [SIV] or 'women' [WIMIN].
Then again, it *is* an English Dictionary... (do you get American
Dictionaries in the US?)
More amusingly, I'd forgotten that the Delphic oracle's main claim to fame
was the ambiguity of the answers it gave...
"Delphic/Delphian :
1: Relating to Delphi or it's oracle.
2: Obscure or ambiguous"
- Roddy

"Roddy Pratt" wrote:
More amusingly, I'd forgotten that the Delphic oracle's main claim to fame
was the ambiguity of the answers it gave...

"Delphic/Delphian :
1: Relating to Delphi or it's oracle.
2: Obscure or ambiguous"
I think this relates to Oracle. 'Who wants to talk to Oracle uses Delphi'.
So don't shoot the messenger!<g>
Peter
PS. What does your dictionary say about SQL Server? ;-)

Re:Re: How do you pronounce Delphi?

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Kenneth de Camargo" <INVERT:rb.moc.arret@jcrk>wrote:
Actually, it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove".
and it's spelled "Raymond Luxury Yacht"
--
-David

Re:Re: How do you pronounce Delphi?

Wow, I didn't expect there to be such divergence on this pronunciation (but
then again, I am American).
America has a long tradition of pronouncing printed words phonetically.
Since Delphi was developed by an American company I would assume most at
Borland (US)pronounce it "eye" rather then "ee", "eh", or "ih". Not that
this is an indication of correctness.
But, then again, I don't think the original project manager (Anders?) was
American (or American born). So what do I know?
- Clayton

Re:Re: How do you pronounce Delphi?

Almost everyone I have heard say the name uses a hard 'e' sound as in
Dell' - phee where the 'ee' is as the 'ee' in the word 'meeting'. And
that is also how I say it.
But, then again, I don't think the original project manager
(Anders?) was American (or American born)....
Anders came from Scandinavia. However 'where he was from' is an issue that
has many different opinions among people. <g>
. Ed
news:41e4099e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

David Dean wrote:
In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Kenneth de Camargo" <INVERT:rb.moc.arret@jcrk>wrote:

>Actually, it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove".

and it's spelled "Raymond Luxury Yacht"
I thought it went amiss! :)
--

Ron Sawyer wrote:
I have always pronounced it: Del-FI but recently heard it pronounced
Del-FEE.

When Borland's Delphi product came out, the company Delphi (Del-FI)
Automotive was already in existence. I used the FI pronunciation since
I was familiar with the company.