Board index » cppbuilder » Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...


2005-10-13 12:26:41 AM
cppbuilder5
vavan wrote:
Quote
Closed - Test Case Error <g>

Something is closed - it quotes properly now :)
 
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Pete Fraser < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
What about middle posting?
I have no idea what you are talking about. I even
scrolled down to the bottom and read Alan's posting
but it gave me no clue what this question is derected
at.
Quote
[...]
I also prefer top posting as it stops me having to waste time reading
the top of the post before answering. This, if anything, stops me
answering bottom posted questions as they take longer to read.
You can simply skip over everything that starts with
">", if you don't need context. However, if the quotes
are rightly trimmed, there's no need to skip.
Quote
It takes long enough reading through NGs without having to
scroll to the bottom of an article. [...]
Right. So why bury important context there???
Quote
Rgds Pete
FWIW, you have just shown one reason why top-posting is
bad: I can't see any correlation between any of your
paragraph's and any of Alan's. Interlaced posting would
have avoided that.
Quote
[...]
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Alan,

The bottom stuff to me is optional reading. [...]
But I don't want to find out what you consider
optional or not by reading all teh stuff at the
bottom. /Please/ take the time to properly trim
the damn quotes and make clear what you are
referring to!
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

{smallsort}

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
I doubt this style of reply below will help you understand my argument any better
because you really do not want to see it.
At least it helped in understanding what you were referring
to a lot better.
Quote
Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:
[...]
>Hey, sorry for not being able to read minds!

Nonsense. You are putting the advancement of your argument ahead of understanding the
other side.
Nonsense.
Quote
>>As for "they will find it": You just proved my point. It is work for
>>the reader to look for the responses after the quotebacks.
>
>No. It's not. It's a lot more work to start reading a reply, then
>hunting for the question.

If a statement stands on its own you do not need to know what it is in response to.
But what we do here is /discussing/. Except for the
first posting in a thread rarely ever stands any
statement on its own. Most are responses to statments
made earlier and by otehr persons.
Quote
If you have just read the previous message you do not need to read the quoted back
part and reading it wastes your time and mental energy.
But I need. I might have read Alex' posting before I
debugged this damn bug and have forgotten about it.
Or it might have been yesterday. Or (as it is in this
case) I might have been away from the group for a
couple of days and had completely forgotten about the
whole debate.
Quote
[...]
If a person can't write stand-alone responses that speak for themselves then often
that is a sign that person is being the lazy one.
If we all started two write responses that would stand
alone and not need the postings they respond to, then
that would mean I would need to stop reading here, as
such postings would need to be a lot longer in order to
fill in the needed context.
Quote
[...]
Schobi
P.S.: Thanks for posting in the right way! :o>
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Hendrik Schober wrote:

>I have, in many years in the usenet, yet to read a
>reasonable explanation why top-posting is better than
>bottom-posting.

Both Ed Mulroy and myself have explained some reasons in this thread. I guess you do
not consider those reasons "reasonable".
Which ones are they?
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Ed Mulroy < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
What inferior product am I using?

. Ed
[...]
The one that makes it easy for you to top-post
and overquote so much and hard to do it the
right way.
Schobi
P.S.: I said it already -- get OE-QuoteFix, fiddle
with its settings for 5mins, and you're done.
It makes readin news easier, and it makes it
easier to post appropriately. (Although I have
to admit that it doesn't trim automagically.
You will still have to think on your own. <g>)
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Pete Fraser < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Now come on guys, lets stop complaining about something trivial
and get on with helping other people. This thread is
a) completely off-topic
b) a waste of bandwidth and
c) a waste of time reading it

Rgds Pete (a top poster)
Which of Rudy's arguments are you referring to?
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Alex Bakaev [TeamB] < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:

>
>I mean for instance the extremely loud music coming out of car windows
>passing by.

They have that in Germany too? ;)
For Thomas and Rudy: Musikdampfer.
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Some of the bottom posters are religious zealots. They do not like top posting. They
think their esthetic reaction is definitive.
They do, OTOH, provide logical arguments for their
preference. And AFAICS none of them overquoted in
this thread -- while top-posters did quite often,
even though they /knew/ that this was one of the
arguments against it.
Quote
[...]
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
I get tired of repeating myself. I have explained many times various reasons for
preferring top posting. [...]
You have repeatedly stated that you have repeatedly
stated such arguments. I haven't found any, though.
So if you could please repeat them or at least post
some msg IDs, I migh tbe able to consider them.
Thanks.
Quote
[...]
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>Rudy,
>
>Condescend away.


For what it's worth, if it takes too much effort to figure out a
post's context, I ignore it entirely too.
Me too. (And I seem to be a lot stricter with this
than you.)
Quote
[...]
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

OK, I personally use OE to read mail and news groups.
I use it because it keeps all my 'correspondence' in once
application and searching is much easier. I have yet to
find an application that does as good a job with communications.
I tried Thunderbird and it was dreadful. I lasted a week with that
before giving up.
I don't have a lot of time to read newsgroups - I have real work
to do. When trawling the NGs I scroll through the list of subjects, giving a
quick
glance on the message pane to get a rough idea of the question.
When people bottom post, any replies are out of view which means
scrolling the message view (which doesn't have focus) and thus
takes longer. For this reason alone, I tend not to answer posts
which are botom posted, so people who bottom post are less
likely to benefit(?!) from my wisdom.
That's just my reason(excuse?)
Of course, if someone knows of an app that does mail/news
better than IE then I'm always open to suggestions.
(I bet I'll get flamed for that one)
Rgds Pete
"Hendrik Schober" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
Pete Fraser < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>I also prefer top posting as it stops me having to waste time reading
>the top of the post before answering. This, if anything, stops me
>answering bottom posted questions as they take longer to read.

You can simply skip over everything that starts with
">", if you don't need context. However, if the quotes
are rightly trimmed, there's no need to skip.
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Alex Bakaev [TeamB] < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Randall Parker wrote:
[...]
Strangely enough, you didn't address the main issue in my post below!
I just had to catch up with half of the thread and
found that he kept doing this. Of course, it's a
lot easier to do (or wrongly being accused of) this
when you don't make clear what you are referring to.
(Which for example Ed at least often does by repeating
the point he refers to in interlaced-style.)
Quote
[...]
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

"Hendrik Schober" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Quote
For Thomas and Rudy: Musikdampfer.
:-)
The term rather reminds me of reggae musicians, though.
 

Re:Re: DeXter C++ Quality Central bugs resolved so far...

Pete Fraser < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
So do I.
Quote
OK, I personally use OE to read mail and news groups.
So do I.
Quote
[on trying Thunderbird] I lasted a week with that
before giving up.
So do I.
Quote
I don't have a lot of time to read newsgroups - I have real work
to do.
If you want a look at the question, then top-posting
is what makes that hard.
Quote
When trawling the NGs I scroll through the list of subjects, giving a
quick
glance on the message pane to get a rough idea of the question.
Not if they trimmed their quotes properly.
Quote
When people bottom post, any replies are out of view which means
scrolling the message view (which doesn't have focus) and thus
takes longer.
FWIW, if I read an answer to a question that I don't
know, I'll often skip the posting.
Quote
For this reason alone, I tend not to answer posts
which are botom posted, so people who bottom post are less
likely to benefit(?!) from my wisdom.
[...]
Rgds Pete
[...]
Schobi
P.S.: Now try to make sense of this Mrs. Cake-style
and see if answer-before-question still makes
sense to you. <g>
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving"
Terry Pratchett