Board index » cppbuilder » Re: opinions for a new computer system

Re: opinions for a new computer system


2005-11-24 12:34:48 AM
cppbuilder59
David Perkins wrote:
Quote
I'd go dual core with a couple of SATA NCQ drives in striped raid mode
and another as a back-up.

Reviews bang on about most software not being able to take advantage
of the the dual cores, which is true enough, but I'd like to do other
things as well as compiling.
With my compiling tool, I can use both chips in compiling. So, I don't know
how many other things I could do while I'm using both chips to compile.
Jonathan
 
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

tinyabs wrote:
Quote
>Intel Pentium M Processor 760 2.0GHz - 533Mhz FSB / 2MB L2
>AOpen i915GMm-HFS - DDR2 533Mhz / SATA2
>2x Kingston DDR2-533 512MB
I think forgot this one.
They are fast. Once overclocked though.
Quote
>AMD Athlon64 4000+ - 1MB L2
>Gigabyte K8NF-9 - nForce4 / SATA / DualChannel DDR400
>Kingston Dual Channel DDR400 2X512MB
1MB L2 doesn't help much. You can only get 5-7% increase in speed
under the most intensive and specific application.
I thought that this Athlon was basically out, especially as I could get a
X2.
Quote
>AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+
>Gigabyte K8NF-9 - nForce4 / SATA / DualChannel DDR400
>Kingston Dual Channel DDR400 2X512MB
>
I personally wait for M2 processors from AMD, arriving in Q2 2006. (I
got an old A64 3000)
Well, I only have a P3 Celeron 1.2Ghz, 394MB PC133/100 SDRAM, 40GB ATA66,
and WinXP Home. So, I'd prefer getting my machine in about a month.
Quote
>Western Digital SATA 10Krpm 74G 8M
>Seagate SATA 7200RPM 80G 8M
>
It's overkill to use Raptors unless u have money to burn. Instead a
7200RPM drive is sufficient. I personally use a Maxtor 250G SATA 16M
buffer.
I don't have money to burn, so I'm going to stick with a 7200RPM.
Jonathan
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

roman modic wrote:
Quote
2. Dual Core x86-64 bit AMD Opteron 165 (Socket 939!)
www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/show.asp
with 2MB cache! Go for O. 175 (2200 MHz) if your budget allows it...
I'll see what Opterons I can get here.
Quote
3. Samsung Spinpoint P120 250 GB SATA (cool and quiet)
www.storagereview.com/articles/200511/SP2504C_1.html
Seagate for me. And I don't need that much space.
Quote
4. RAM: 2048 MB (If you plan to user virtual machines... of course
you do! ;)
2048 will cost quite a bit, I'll probably start with 1024.
Jonathan
 

{smallsort}

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

Jonathan Benedicto wrote:
Quote

I checked up between OCZ and Kingston, and they seem to be even matched.
Kingston won because it is cheaper.

Jonathan


OCZ is much easier to overclock to insane levels.
.a
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:
Quote
OCZ is much easier to overclock to insane levels.
Ahh, thank you for that. I'll try to get it then.
Jonathan
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

"Jonathan Benedicto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
>I personally wait for M2 processors from AMD, arriving in Q2 2006. (I
>got an old A64 3000)

Well, I only have a P3 Celeron 1.2Ghz, 394MB PC133/100 SDRAM, 40GB ATA66,
and WinXP Home. So, I'd prefer getting my machine in about a month.
Not to mention that by then, there'll be something even better you can
wait for.
It was always thus. And from what you have, even a real-cheapo system is
going to be quite a speed boost.
Alan Bellingham
--
ACCU Conference 2006 - 19-22 April, Randolph Hotel, Oxford, UK
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

I can get a Opteron where I live. Kinda expensive, but I could do it.
Now the choice is between:
AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+
Gigabyte K8NF-9 - nForce4 / SATA / DualChannel DDR400
AMD Opteron X2 170 2.0GHz / 2MB Cache / 1000MHz
Gigabyte K8N - nF4 / SLI / SATA / RAID / DualChannel DDR400
What do you think?
Jonathan
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

Jonathan Benedicto wrote:
Quote
Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:

>OCZ is much easier to overclock to insane levels.


Ahh, thank you for that. I'll try to get it then.

Jonathan


If you go to OCZ website, there is a link to their support/performance
forums. There is ton of good info on overclocking, even for specific
motherboards.
.a
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:
Quote
If you go to OCZ website, there is a link to their support/performance
forums. There is ton of good info on overclocking, even for specific
motherboards.
Thank you, I'll remember this.
Jonathan
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

Hello!
This is informative thread: S939 Opteron VS Athlon 64 X2
forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm
Here is another one:
forums.livingwithstyle.com/t232299-need-processor-reccomendation.html
HTH, Roman
"Jonathan Benedicto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
I can get a Opteron where I live. Kinda expensive, but I could do it.

Now the choice is between:

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+
Gigabyte K8NF-9 - nForce4 / SATA / DualChannel DDR400

AMD Opteron X2 170 2.0GHz / 2MB Cache / 1000MHz
Gigabyte K8N - nF4 / SLI / SATA / RAID / DualChannel DDR400

What do you think?

Jonathan


 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

Alan Bellingham wrote:
Quote
It was always thus. And from what you have, even a real-cheapo system
is going to be quite a speed boost.
Yeah, so maybe I'll just get a Pentium D, and then upgrade later.
Thank you for all your input.
Jonathan
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

roman modic wrote:
Quote
Hello!

This is informative thread: S939 Opteron VS Athlon 64 X2
forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm

Here is another one:
forums.livingwithstyle.com/t232299-need-processor-reccomendation.html
Thank you, this is interesting info.
Jonathan
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

Alan Bellingham wrote:
Quote
Compiling doesn't speed up (not yet, anyway ...). But when some code
goes into a tight loop without yielding? Yep, the time when even
Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't seem to respond? On a dual processor machine, it's
just one processor that gets wedged, and I can carry on normally, and
pull up Task Manager to see what's hung and just kill it.
My own experience with SMP is similar: The machine does not become unresponsive as
often. An app can get out of control without the whole desktop becoming very slow.
I want my next machine to have two dual cores. SMP is good.
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

Quote
I want my next machine to have two dual cores. SMP is good.
That was my thinking when I specced my server a couple of months ago. I
went for a dual CPU opteron 244 system, thinking that I could always
upgrade it to a couple of faster dual core chips later.
 

Re:Re: opinions for a new computer system

David Perkins < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
That was my thinking when I specced my server a couple of months ago. I
went for a dual CPU opteron 244 system, thinking that I could always
upgrade it to a couple of faster dual core chips later.
Ah, now where do I get dual-core socket-A CPUs?
I suspect I'll need a mobo upgrade.
Alan Bellingham
--
ACCU Conference 2006 - 19-22 April, Randolph Hotel, Oxford, UK