SQL Links .dll FIles

2006-02-25 08:38:09 AM
cppbuilder9
This is getting absurd now. There doesn't appear to be ant SQL Links .dll
files shipped with BDS2006. This can't be right can it?
So,
No Merge Modules even though they are mentioned in the documentation
No BDE merge module despite this being the suggested method of deployment in
the documentation.
No SQL Links .dlls despite them being mentioned in the documentation.
The Web App De{*word*81} Executable created by the IDE causes an AV when it is
executed.
Is it me or is BDS 2006 a really poor quality product? I can't believe that
it is only me finding these things. It is actually preventing me from doing
my job now. :(
Andy

Re:SQL Links .dll FIles

Andy Walker wrote:
This is getting absurd now. There doesn't appear to be ant SQL
Links .dll files shipped with BDS2006. This can't be right can
it?

Yes it is right. Borland announced 8 years ago that the BDE was being put into
maintenance mode and nearly 4 years ago that the SQL Links drivers would no
longer ship. Borland has been up front for a very long time as to the future of
the BDE.
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's

{smallsort}

Re:SQL Links .dll FIles

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:
Andy Walker wrote:
>This is getting absurd now. There doesn't appear to be ant SQL Links
>.dll files shipped with BDS2006. This can't be right can it?

Yes it is right. Borland announced 8 years ago that the BDE was being
put into maintenance mode and nearly 4 years ago that the SQL Links
drivers would no longer ship. Borland has been up front for a very long
time as to the future of the BDE.

community.borland.com/article/0,1410,28688,00.html
--

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:
Yes it is right. Borland announced 8 years ago that the BDE was
being put into maintenance mode and nearly 4 years ago that the SQL
Links drivers would no longer ship. Borland has been up front for a
very long time as to the future of the BDE.
Note that the previous BCB release WAS just over 4 years ago! And many
customers are upgrading from version 5, released 2 years before that.
This may be ancient history for the Delphi community, but a little
pointer for the BCB customers who have missed out on the last 4 years
evolution might be useful.
(As we don't use relational databases ourselves, I was not aware of the
issues either.)
--
AlisdairM(TeamB)

Re:SQL Links .dll FIles

Andy Walker wrote:
This is getting absurd now. There doesn't appear to be ant SQL
Links .dll files shipped with BDS2006. This can't be right can
it?
As you already have been informed all these are considered obsolete now.
So you will have to stick with older version of BCB. In the mean time
you should plan migration of your legacy app to BDS 2006 if you wan't to
use new product.
I know this does not help you but it is the only thing you can do.
Darko

Re:SQL Links .dll FIles

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Andy Walker wrote:
>This is getting absurd now. There doesn't appear to be ant SQL
>Links .dll files shipped with BDS2006. This can't be right can
>it?

Yes it is right. Borland announced 8 years ago that the BDE was being put into
maintenance mode and nearly 4 years ago that the SQL Links drivers would no
longer ship. Borland has been up front for a very long time as to the future of
the BDE.

Fair enough but they might have mentioned it to remind me. The
last BCB product I purchased WAS OVER 5 years ago and my
current project has been ongoing for 7 years. I wouldn't call
it a legacy app but it is now based on an obsolete technology!
So, anybody fancy helping me to convert my BDE app to
dbExpress? :) :)
Has anybody done this recently? What sorts of thing do I need
to look out for? My main issue it that I use TUpdateSQL
components and there isn't an alternative in dbExpress. :(
Thanks for the info Jeff.
Andy

Re:SQL Links .dll FIles

Andy Walker wrote:
Has anybody done this recently? What sorts of thing do I need
to look out for? My main issue it that I use TUpdateSQL
components and there isn't an alternative in dbExpress. :(

For the most part since ClientDataset is smart enough you do not need UpdateSQL
components. When you are not straight updating a table though you can add an
event in the Providers BeforeApplyUpdates and do you own more complex updating.
Thanks for the info Jeff.

Andy