BDS 2006 Problems?

2006-03-21 04:16:31 AM
cppbuilder110
I recently upgraded to BCB 2006 Enterprise (against my better judgement). I
had problems registering it (the reg server went down...nice!).
Afterwards, I created a new Intraweb service app using the wizard and ran it
using F9.
An exception popped up saying "installation as a service is not supported in
the evaluation edition". Also, the port number for standalone Intraweb apps
is at random...just like the eval version.
What's up with this? I thought Enterprise BDS included the full version of
intraweb?
This was a new PC that never had any dev tools on it, including
Intraweb.....

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

What's up with this? I thought Enterprise BDS included the full version of
intraweb?
They were still adding BCB2006 support in Feb, so I'd recommend that you
contact atozed support. They'll probably need to update your Intraweb
serial number.

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

Ahh...never mind. Borland shipped the wrong version of intraweb with BDS
2006 on the factory CD's.....I am working with AtoZ to get it
fixed.....ironic thing is, that package is why I upgraded this time!
Imagine that! So all the intraweb stuff is locked into eval mode even
though I purchased the Enterprise version.....
Nice.........I really, really, really wanted to expect something different
this time around....you'd think with my history (started using TP 1.0 in
college and have used everything borland since) I would have learned by now.
Already the IDE has locked up, and the linker froze at 99% CPU usage...had
to kill it. All this fun on a vanilla XP PC freshly prepared from scratch
using a "hello world" application to test it. Argh.......last time it took
me a long time months to get BCB stable...had to read through all the
newsgroups and blogs to get the "tricks" to make it work. "Don't use code
completion, apply this linker patch.....".....great....here we go again.....
Sorry for my pessimism.....
"Johnny Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I recently upgraded to BCB 2006 Enterprise (against my better judgement).
I had problems registering it (the reg server went down...nice!).

Afterwards, I created a new Intraweb service app using the wizard and ran
it using F9.

An exception popped up saying "installation as a service is not supported
in the evaluation edition". Also, the port number for standalone Intraweb
apps is at random...just like the eval version.

What's up with this? I thought Enterprise BDS included the full version
of intraweb?

This was a new PC that never had any dev tools on it, including
Intraweb.....

{smallsort}

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

Hi Johnny:
Johnny Smith wrote:

Nice.........I really, really, really wanted to expect something different
this time around....you'd think with my history (started using TP 1.0 in
college and have used everything borland since) I would have learned by now.
Already the IDE has locked up, and the linker froze at 99% CPU usage...had
to kill it. All this fun on a vanilla XP PC freshly prepared from scratch
using a "hello world" application to test it. Argh.......last time it took
me a long time months to get BCB stable...had to read through all the
newsgroups and blogs to get the "tricks" to make it work. "Don't use code
completion, apply this linker patch.....".....great....here we go again.....

Sorry for my pessimism.....

Have you installed the BCB update?..
This kind of complains really impresses me.. I don't know.. I must be
very lucky since I don't have problems in respect to BDS 2006.. Many
people with "supercomputers" with more than 1GB (compared to my obsolete
PIII 256MB Ram) complains in performance, stability, usability, etc. of
the IDE.. problems that I (fortunately?) didn't have until now.. with
the sole exception of excessive memory leaking..
Saludos,
Hector.

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

Your not alone. 5 enterprise versions were purchased where I work and they
were shelved. The compiler was blowing up on my boss with a simple button
on a form (I think). There were numerous other problems of course. I
downloaded the trial and it did not seem to be too bad but I did miss the
code examples that I used to have with BCB 5. So you could shoot yourself
in the foot and be optimistic about it. Just say "Ahh, that felt good".
LOL
"Johnny Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Sorry for my pessimism.....

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

Boian Mitov wrote:
Yeah... BCB 2006 is not a pretty picture :-(
I still stand by my impression it is a good step forward from previous
BCB.
Was I satisfied with previous BCB? No, but they were 'good enough' for
me to keep coming back for the next one.
Am I satisfied with BCB2006? See previous answer! It is not perfect,
just as every BCB has its faults. It may take a little warming to as
the faults you get used to are different with each new version ;?
But on the balance, I have found this to be one of the better upgrades.
--
AlisdairM(TeamB)

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

Boian Mitov wrote:
I agree! :-) As I stated I am cautiously optimistic! I like the
product, but so far I am still sticking with BCB 6 for primary
development ;-) .
We just moved over for our next release <g>
BCB2006 came out at the wrong time (for us) in the last development
cycle.
--
AlisdairM(TeamB)

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

Larry Griffiths wrote:
Your not alone. 5 enterprise versions were purchased where I work and they
were shelved. The compiler was blowing up on my boss with a simple button
on a form (I think). There were numerous other problems of course. I
downloaded the trial and it did not seem to be too bad but I did miss the
code examples that I used to have with BCB 5. So you could shoot yourself
in the foot and be optimistic about it. Just say "Ahh, that felt good".
LOL

And they are for sale ?
How much ??

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

Yeah... BCB 2006 is not a pretty picture :-( . It was released before
it was ready, and they are still struggling with the patches. On the
bright side however at least the IDE is way much better than D2005 so
there is some improvement, and there are a lot of features added both in
Delphi and BCB. I am cautiously optimistic that we may see improvements,
in the right direction jugging by the Delphi improvements.
I guess I am just too optimistic ;-) .
Cheers,
Boian Mitov

AlisdairM wrote:
I still stand by my impression it is a good step forward from previous
BCB.

Was I satisfied with previous BCB? No, but they were 'good enough' for
me to keep coming back for the next one.

Am I satisfied with BCB2006? See previous answer! It is not perfect,
just as every BCB has its faults. It may take a little warming to as
the faults you get used to are different with each new version ;?

But on the balance, I have found this to be one of the better upgrades.

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

Nicely put. And I agree completely :(
"Johnny Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Well, I do have to agree with some of the other posters that this is a very
nice upgrade! I am a *longtime* borland supporter, so don't get me wrong!
I held off the MS brigade for a looong time because I was convinced Borland
products had a lot of advantages. I do like the new IDE very much! I have
developed well over hundreds of applications using the BCB line at my last
job, so I am quite familiar with Borland! I developed multithreaded
application servers using BCB4 with some complex COM stuff, so I am not a
BCB newbie by any means.

I'm just tired......tired of becoming a complete "expert" of the tools I use
in order to use them in the first place. Tired of having to rely on the
newsgroups to get a $3000+ piece of software to work like it's supposed
to......tired of having to purchase an expensive support contract to get any
kind of support at all.....tired of buying tools that I recommended to
management, and then missing deadlines because the stuff doesn't work out of
the box without some tweaking that I don't have time to do.....and then
being chewed on for using those tools at all! Tired of being the C++
outcast to the Delphi guys......I've been at this for 20 years and I guess I
have just run out of patience......

I never have got the intraweb stuff to work. Borland hasn't responded to
the case I opened....the IW folks suggested installing their version. I
did....it won't compile now, it's missing a header file....nice....

Maybe I am alone in this...but I just wish things were different......I
guess I should always allow several weeks to get any new tools up and
running these days. By the time I get through the newsgroups, get replies
from tech support, get deep into the tool so I can figure out what's up, get
the add-ons working.....it just takes a lot of time to set up a new
development environment I guess?

By the way...am I one of the few Borland C++ guys left? It's been a lonely,
lonely road without traveling the Delphi path......maybe that's been the
problem all along? I know BCB was not the "star" at Borland....Delphi has
always been....would things be that much better heading down the C# or
Delphi path?

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

[...]

Well, I'm still out here, after 20+ years of using Borland products, but
I certainly share your exhaustion. On the plus side, the new IDE is
kinda growing on me, and I think there is a lot of potential for the
product. I think I expected more "out-of-box" quality from this upgrade.
I've had too many lock ups, too many linking problems, a lot of
quirkiness. And the Help...let's not even go there. Given the price
(reasonable, but not cheap) and the push back in release date, I figured
a lot the little stuff would have been worked out.
But I persevere. I've spent much more time getting things figured out
than I should have, but things are decent. I'm eagerly awaiting the next
patch.
It did dawn on me a few weeks ago that I do have a full Delphi
environment now, so I did go buy a Delphi book so I could get into some
of the more sophisticated areas of the language. I, too, wonder
sometimes if that path might not be a bad alternative....

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

Hello everyone,
I've been using C++Builder since version 1.0. I just upgraded to BDS2006
three weeks ago I think. I have an app with approx. 250,000 lines of code and
a .dll. I've had a few problems but for the most part it seems reasonable.
I should point out that not everything I've had to deal with could be
technically considered to be Borland's fault. For example, they seem to have
tightened up the language rules. And then there are XP compatibility changes.
Stuff like that.
Ok, the help files are a disaster. (how'd that happen?)
Yes, there seem to be some great stuff in there too. (when I can find
the time to check it out...) The local variables display is a potential time
saver.
As far as spending a few weeks making the transition to the upgrade. I
don't remember ever not having to do that... B)
Hey I work in a building full of civil engineers. They have tens of
thousands in software to chose from (at least) these guys do 98% of their
work on a twenty-five year old app!
Not me. But I can relate...
Good luck,
Bruce Larrabee

Re:BDS 2006 Problems?

I started a new project about 6 months ago in BCB6 because of my
famliarity with it and the pretty cheap components for reporting, grids,
and indy. After using the WTL for a different project, i'm realizing
that BCB is bringing less and less to the table for me. I was hoping
BDS 2006 was going to be more compliant so I could use boost. Doesn't
sounds like it will be.
So now, I have to decide whether i'm going to continue with BCB6 and
it's pitiful IDE and lousy C++ compliance or if I should go with vstudio
2005 and use the WTL. The WTL is a step back from the VCL but I don't
build super complicated guis and I dont use datasets at all.
At least the de{*word*81} sounds greatly improved in BDS 2006 so i'll
probrably spring for the pro upgrade just to get that.
As an aside, I built my first net app in C#/visual studio 2005. All I
can say is WOW. What a natural progression it is to move to c#. I was
moving full steam 3 days into an oreilly book. The generic collections
support rocks and the C# language is really clean. The IDE dam near
writes the code for you.
If the .net 2.0 runtime was installed on most pcs and mature, I might be
using that for this project.