Re: If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

2006-05-30 10:16:23 PM
cppbuilder100
Randall Parker wrote:
So IF you did upgrade was it worth the money?
Yes :-) I really find BDS to be a significant improvement over BCB4/5/6. I
much prefer the de{*word*81}, the "auto braces", project manager, the docked IDE
etc. the list is long :-)
Jonathan
------------------------
TwineCompiler, blazingly fast C++ compiles on ANY machine:
www.jomitech.com/
------------------------

Re:Re: If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

Andrue Cope [TeamB] wrote:
The first two, yes. I remember joking with a colleague about how
pointless they were and then due to management upheaval I had to go
back to BCB6.
It is surprising how quickly you come to rely on them <g>
The highlight line I didn't like and I still can't see
the point of it.
All I can say is it works very well with my colour scheme - which is
not standard out-the-box ;?
I use a black background for my editor, and set the highlight line to a
very dark blue (0x000020) It is close enough to black to be
unobtrusive in use, yet make finding the cursor extremely easy every
time I look away from the screen for a second, or change code windows,
etc.
I don't like the new VCL palette though. It seems too cluttered.
Jury is still out on that one, but having 2 screens definitely helps.
I run all my non-editor windows docked and maximized on my second
screen. There is no problem at all from clutter there, but the object
inspector actually has TOO much space, so clicking the down-button for
the combo box on list-fields can be awkward.
Lol, I can't comment on the C++ help because every time I tried to use
it I got Visual Studio help. The rest of it seemed okay but only if
you could actually find what you were looking for.
Actually C++ help doesn't bite me personally as I refer to the Standard
PDF (or latest draught) whenever I need to look something up ;?
For VCL help I will still turn back to BCB6 if I need anything
non-trivial though (unless it is one of the new components, Category
Buttons and Flow Panels rock ;?
--
AlisdairM

Re:Re: If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

Remy Lebeau \(TeamB\) wrote:
the Welcome screen gets annoying very quickly.
I haven't figure out how to disable it yet.
May not be worth the effort. I frequently close it, but the IDE
actually works better with it present for some reason - less likely to
disappear or hide behind other apps.
- Leo

{smallsort}

Re:Re: If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

Henry Hansen wrote:
If anyone can tell me how to get my
component palette back under the menu where it belongs,
I sure would appreciate it.
Can't. Use this as the excuse to get a 24" wide-screen monitor so
that you have room to put it on the side of the screen and still see
your edit window.
Even better if you add a second monitor for the designer.
- Leo

Re:Re: If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

Personally, I am starting to like
it, though the Welcome screen gets annoying very quickly. I haven't
figure
out how to disable it yet.
In the BDS 4 registry, remove "$(BDS)\Bin\startpageide100.bpl" from "Known
IDE Packages"
Personally, I rather like it. :-)
- Roddy

Re:Re: If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

I am happy with BDS2006 and feel it was a very worthwhile upgrade.
When I started using it I hated the new IDE but now that I am used to
it, going back to BCB6 is painful. One of my favorite new features is
live templates. My least favorite 'feature' is the help system.

Re:Re: If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

I am very happy with the new BDS2006 IDE. (Apart from the help)
Rgds Pete

Mark Jacobs wrote:
Roddy Pratt wrote:
>I thought you had not upgraded to BDS2006, Mark?

I have the demo version. What beleaguers me about this product is
that there is so much wrong with it, but with little or no fixes for
it being brought out. It is taking them too long to get to a stable
release.
It ain't half cute though! :-)
It is definitely a step in the right direction. Let's just get these pesky
bugs ironed out and we'll be rolling again, on the crest of the Win32 C++
development wave!
--
Mark Jacobs
jacobsm.com

Re:Re: If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

Randall Parker wrote:
It is hard to get a sense of the satisfaction of people with BCB 2006
because a few people complain and it is hard to tell whether there's
a large body of silent majority satisfied users.

So IF you did upgrade was it worth the money?
Yes.
If it was not worth the money what arre the causes of your
dissatisfaction?
N/A.
If you are net dissatisfied are there things about BCB 2006 that are
still quite desirable to you?
N/A.
If it was worth the upgrade cost what are the causes of that feeliing
of satisfaction as well?
Everything works as it should, better than last version in general. I
like the new code editor. Code completion and folding works very well
here.
If you were on net satisfied are there things that still detract from
your dissatisfaction that you'd most like to see improved?
N/A.
Please do not reply if you did NOT upgrade.
N/A. <g>
--
Ken
planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/kencamargo/

Pete Fraser wrote:
I am very happy with the new BDS2006 IDE. (Apart from the help)
Amen. For the exception too. :)
--

Randall Parker wrote:
Please do not reply if you did NOT upgrade.
Qualifications: I have BDS Enterprise at work and BDS Architect at
home and have been using it since the initial release. Upgraded from
BCB6.....BC++3.0. All of my BCB6 projects have been imported into BDS
(not rebuilt in BDS - imported).
In short:
BDS is an improvement on BCB6 in all ways except for the help. Some
other things are not perfect, but most of those features are
completely missing in BCB6. I like it, and I moved from BCB6 with no
regrets.
More detail:
Biggest change is the completely redone IDE. Takes some adjustment
both of your habits and of the IDE itself to get comfortable and to
find out what configuration is best for you. The new IDE requires
more screen space than BCB6 - largely because of the tool palette,
which is larger in any configuration you try. Recommended: dual
monitors and/or a 1920x1200 display (I have both for home and work).
The IDE is more like CBX/BC2005 than like BCB6, but then I really
liked CBX. Designer is embedded in the editor by default (as in CBX),
but can be configured to float as in BCB6. Entire desktop can be
configured to be docked into a single unit or to be separate windows
as in BCB6. Also, windows can be "unpinned" so that they collapse
until the mouse pointer approaches them. Desktop configs can be named
and saved. It is also possible to choose options for the
configurations that don't work - form gets covered by editor when you
choose a component, etc. I'm very happy now with floating designer
and mostly undocked desktop configuration.
Biggest improvement for me is the de{*word*81}. Runs fast and reliably.
Doesn't seem to have problems with showing the correct line of code
that's running. Tooltip inspector is vastly improved - allows
inspecting members of objects and members of members (as does the
watch pane). Keeping many watches open does not slow execution.
Code templates are a nice addition - type in "if " and it
automatically supplies the rest of the block. You can add your own
templates or edit the ones that are there to match your
style/preferences. They can be automatic or invoked with a Tab.
After several months I still have not turned off the code completion
feature - a testimonial to the fact that it is relatively fast and
unobtrusive. I really like "Code Parameters" which shows the
parameters listed in the declaration of any function that you call -
unfortunately it mysteriously seems to stop working occasionally.
Designer has one big improvement - guidelines. Instead of using a
grid that never seems to align things the way I want, controls can use
"guidelines" that align them with other controls - either
top/center/bottom/left/right or text baseline (great for label/edit
alignment). There also spacer guidelines to maintain the same
distance between controls. This makes designing the form much faster
- best to turn off the snap to grid as it interferes with guidelines.
I already said that the tool palette is larger. By default it's on
the side of the screen and 2 inches or so wide. Cuts down on screen
space, but it is really much more convenient than constantly switching
tabs, especially when some of the tabs may be off the screen.I have
mine configured so that the controls I use are almost all visible all
of the time, which I find to be a great convenience. It also allows
search by name which is a great feature - (controls just disappear as
you type each letter in the name).
Uses Dinkumware. Much better STL implementation, but may require soma
code changes. If it does, then your code was probably not strictly
conforming to the standard, so this is basically good. Biggest thing I
found is that vector iterators no longer implicitly cast to pointers,
but I'm sure there are other differences.
Help sucks. Partly due to switch to generally sucky HTML help - I've
never found this to be as easy to use as older win help. Most or all
of the help content from BCB6 appears to be there as well as a good
intro to the new IDE, but stuff is just more difficult to find. Also
- inexcusably and incomprehensibly - all of the links to types (used
as return values, parameters, etc) are missing, so you have to search
again for them - a real PITA. So keep your BCB6 help - you'll want it
from time to time.
Bottom line:
Worth it.
- Leo