Re: What's the improvement of C++Builder 2007???

2007-06-18 11:36:46 AM
cppbuilder82
In article <4675a461$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Frank J" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I understand that you have to stick by your product, but if you could pull
yourself away from it for about a week
and look at this product as a whole from the outside, there is no way you
could think of C++ as a...
"Vibrant, bustling and robust product with a large community supporting it
and that has company that will do what it takes to make C++ the best."
I was a customer long before I was an employee, so I have a pretty
good idea of an outsider's perspective. I've seen a tremendous amount of
improvement, and I see more coming in the future. I believe that you'll
also see progress that has been a direct result of my participation in
this newsgroup.
I don't mean to offend you, but I'm just speaking how I see it.
I'm not offended, but I'd rather see constructive criticism than
unwarranted slating. I'll do what I can if you offer suggestions, but
I'll disagree with you when you say things I am sure are not true. You
claims were:
1) C++Builder is dead
2) CodeGear does not want to spend resources on C++Builder
The first should be obviously false since we just released a new version
this past month.
The second is also false, we are adding resources to the C++Builder
team, not taking them away.
--
-David Dean
CodeGear C++ QA Engineer

Re:Re: What's the improvement of C++Builder 2007???

David Dean [CodeGear] wrote:
In article <4675a461$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Frank J" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...]
I was a customer long before I was an employee, so I have a pretty
good idea of an outsider's perspective. I've seen a tremendous amount of
improvement, and I see more coming in the future.
Well I agree that BCB has improved. I'm currently evaluating BCB 2007
and some points I've recognized (from my first tries):
a) IDE doesn't hang anymore if you kill a debugged application from the
task manager
b) IDE Compiler is much faster (especially for large projects)
c) Code Insight (speed) seems to have improved a lot
d) Compiler is more compliant
(Very) Good work - keep it up.
I'm evaluating BCB 2007, because one project (of us) doesn't compile
anymore with BCB. Now I have some, well let's call it other minor
problems to compile some libraries of our project.
Some are caused because the Compiler is more compliant. So far this is
positive, we simply have to change the code to be standard compliant ;-).
Though BCB complains about some template code using static_cast, which
it only compiles, when we are calling directly the type cast operator
function. This doesn't mean to be a new behavior of BCB 2007, but also
BCB 2006 complained about some static_casts used in combination with
std::string.
Has anybody experienced the same ? Perhaps we have some macros from BCB
6 or parts of an old boost library we are using, which are causing this ?
I believe that you'll
also see progress that has been a direct result of my participation in
this newsgroup.
[...]
I fully agree :-)
Andre

Andre Kaufmann wrote:
a) IDE doesn't hang anymore if you kill a debugged application from
the task manager
Really ? I'll try it :-)
b) IDE Compiler is much faster (especially for large projects)
c) Code Insight (speed) seems to have improved a lot
True! One time I practically did not use Code Insight (in BCB5) due to
extremely low speed (Code Insight was resurrected by Andreas's plug-in
- thank you very mach Andreas!). Now it works as a lightning.
(Very) Good work - keep it up.
Why "(Very)"? It's really very good work :-)
--
Alex

{smallsort}

Re:Re: What's the improvement of C++Builder 2007???

Hi, David,
I think, I do not want to argu if the product is dead or not. But at least
it is moving.
I just want to know why CodeGear ignores our highly-demanded requests and
did nothing with them till now. If CG cares us and want us to support, at
least they need to respond our voices somehow.
Regards.
Q.
"David Dean [CodeGear]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Frank J" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>They hate to spend the resources on a dead product!

C++Builder is neither dead, nor are there resources being taken away
from the C++ team. You are so wrong it is almost funny.

--

In article <4677dad6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Qimiao Lu" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I just want to know why CodeGear ignores our highly-demanded requests and
did nothing with them till now. If CG cares us and want us to support, at
least they need to respond our voices somehow.
Please be specific about which highly demanded requests, so that I
can try to answer. I am trying to make sure that customers' voices are
being heard. I can't get you everything right away, but I will be
pushing hard to make sure that customers aren't ignored.
--

David Dean [CodeGear] wrote:
The second is also false, we are adding resources to the C++Builder
team, not taking them away.
Any word on a C++ Product Manager?
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'

Re:Re: What's the improvement of C++Builder 2007???

In article <468002f6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Any word on a C++ Product Manager?
I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say about this. There have been
interviews. The CEO wants the position filled. I'll be happy when the
position is filled.
--

David Dean [CodeGear] wrote:
In article <468002f6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Any word on a C++ Product Manager?

I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say about this. There have been
interviews. The CEO wants the position filled. I'll be happy when the
position is filled.
It's good to know there's still a position, and CodeGear is attempting to
fill it.
--

"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
It's good to know there's still a position, and CodeGear is attempting to
fill it.

No, It's bad to know that there's STILL a position that hasn't been filled.

news:46813deb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>It's good to know there's still a position, and CodeGear is attempting to
>fill it.

No, It's bad to know that there's STILL a position that hasn't been filled.
I was quite honestly under the impression that CodeGear had given up on
the very idea of a C++ Product Manager, and was happy letting the Delphi
Product Manager call the shots for all of the RAD product group.
For me, it's good news that the position hasn't been eliminated. Of
course, I'd like to see a strong, preferably well liked by the C++
community, even better if it's the "unhappy, disaffected, naysayers"
community, person already hired into that position. But I'll take
whatever good news I can get.
--
-Brion
There's no such thing as 'one, true way;'
- Mercedes Lackey

Re:Re: What's the improvement of C++Builder 2007???

I can repeat it again although it appeared on the root of this topic.
The toppest request of "class explorer" (QC #: 23836,
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx in BDS2006 from C++ Builder
users has not been added back to this version.
Q.
"David Dean [CodeGear]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
In article <4677dad6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Qimiao Lu" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>I just want to know why CodeGear ignores our highly-demanded requests and
>did nothing with them till now. If CG cares us and want us to support,
>at
>least they need to respond our voices somehow.

Please be specific about which highly demanded requests, so that I
can try to answer. I am trying to make sure that customers' voices are
being heard. I can't get you everything right away, but I will be
pushing hard to make sure that customers aren't ignored.

--
-David Dean
CodeGear C++ QA Engineer
<blogs.codegear.com/ddean/>

Re:Re: What's the improvement of C++Builder 2007???

In all major companies all over the world there will be positions to be
filled. Humans are dynamic why should things be 'bad' in CodeGear if a
position is to be filled?

message news:46813deb$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

In article <46816ee3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Qimiao Lu" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
The toppest request of "class explorer" (QC #: 23836,
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx in BDS2006 from C++ Builder
users has not been added back to this version.
Yes, this is the highest voted QC report for C++. I'll push to make
sure it has high visibility internally.
--

In article <46816a60$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I was quite honestly under the impression that CodeGear had given up on
the very idea of a C++ Product Manager, and was happy letting the Delphi
Product Manager call the shots for all of the RAD product group.
I respect Nick and like what he has done for Delphi, but he is not
the person we need to be making decisions about the C++ product line. We
need our own version of Nick.
I'd like to see a strong, preferably well liked by the C++
community, even better if it's the "unhappy, disaffected, naysayers"
community
Nudge them all to apply. I don't mind if we turn over the apple cart
if we're doing it to fix the wheels.
--

David Dean [CodeGear] wrote:
In article <46816a60$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>I was quite honestly under the impression that CodeGear had given up on
>the very idea of a C++ Product Manager, and was happy letting the Delphi
>Product Manager call the shots for all of the RAD product group.

I respect Nick and like what he has done for Delphi, but he is not
the person we need to be making decisions about the C++ product line. We
need our own version of Nick.
I didn't mean to be demeaning the current Delphi Product Manager, it's my
impression the C++ Product Manager position has been vacant longer than
the Delphi Product Manager position. My comment was irrespective of the
people in the positions.
Then again, if there ever had been a C# Product Manager, I wonder if the
roadmap would look quite like it does today.
>I'd like to see a strong, preferably well liked by the C++
>community, even better if it's the "unhappy, disaffected, naysayers"
>community

Nudge them all to apply. I don't mind if we turn over the apple cart
if we're doing it to fix the wheels.
All I can do is help remind people there's a position to apply for. If
they don't like how the situation is now, do something to make a
difference. Change from the inside! Viva la revolucion! Or something to
that effect. I suppose you're the best possible candidate to tell us
whether or not it's possible. ;-)
Say, for instance, that David Erbas-White was appointed C++ Product
Manager. I don't doubt for an instant that he'd do everything in his
power to do what he thought was right for the C++ product line. And I
don't think *anyone* out here would suspect he was a "Borland TApologist",
or whatever the code word is for brown-nosing sycophant. From my
perspective, someone like that would have more credibility from the get go
when they say "I'm trying, I'm really trying, but it's harder than you'd
believe and I just can't tell you the real story" than someone who's been
a sunshine and flowers, "Inprise is a great idea, Webvolutionaries is
wonderful, WebSnap will rule the world" kinda community member. Not that
they wouldn't both try their hearts out, just that one would be more
credible.
I *know* for an absolute fact that I would not be an appropriate candidate
for the job. I wonder whether Howe or Mulroy have considered it?