Lint

Looking at the various standards documents (see posting on language ng)
one recuring feature is the first C Programmer Commandment:

1.Thou shalt run lint frequently and study its pronouncements with care,
for verily its perception and judgement oft exceed thine.

Does anybody know and use Lint and if so does the BCB5 editor give the
same degree of analysis?

Any comments gratefully accepted,
Geoff Marshall

Re:Lint

I use Lint (Version 7.5) with VC++ and while it has found many things for me
such as not deleting objects, it also drags up a load of stuff that you
don't need to know about - especially unreferenced function parameters.
I have not tried Lint with Builder, but I would expect it to find reams of
problems due to some of builders non-standard syntax.

Paul Cheetham

"Geoff Marshall" <Geoff_Marsh...@gemsys.co.uk> wrote in message

> Looking at the various standards documents (see posting on language ng)
> one recuring feature is the first C Programmer Commandment:

> 1.Thou shalt run lint frequently and study its pronouncements with care,
> for verily its perception and judgement oft exceed thine.

> Does anybody know and use Lint and if so does the BCB5 editor give the
> same degree of analysis?

> Any comments gratefully accepted,
> Geoff Marshall

Re:Lint

"Paul Cheetham" <P...@Cheetham.dabsol.co.uk> writes:
> I use Lint (Version 7.5) with VC++ and while it has found many
> things for me such as not deleting objects, it also drags up a load
> of stuff that you don't need to know about - especially unreferenced
> function parameters.  I have not tried Lint with Builder, but I
> would expect it to find reams of problems due to some of builders
> non-standard syntax.

Gimpel has added specific capabilities to handle the Borland syntax
extensions.  It will not "{*word*88}" on them, but it does no checking for
them either.  The parser is simply smart enough to know how to ignore
them gracefully.

--
Chris (TeamB);

Other Threads