Looking for an Animated Gif Component

Does anyone know of a good component for displaying animated GIF's smoothly?

Thanks in advance.

Re:Looking for an Animated Gif Component

> Does anyone know of a good component for displaying animated GIF's smoothly?

RxLib, at http://rx.demo.ru has one. But:

1] It can be quite cranky to install. Follow the instructions *carefully* and *don't*
email me for help.

2] Regardless of what kind of application you create, and who's component you use, you're
*supposed* to pay a usurious royalty to the {*word*76}-sucking leeches at Unisys. See:

http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory//lzwfaq.html

for the complete and ugly details.

| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:[email protected])    |
| http://www.buddydog.org                           |

There's a new language called C+++.  The only problem
is every time you try to compile your modem disconnects.

Re:Looking for an Animated Gif Component

According to Netscapes Lawyers: displaying gif images does not require a
license from unysis.
From what I understand Netscape is not licensed to display gifs and has
not been sued.

--
Thank you,
Albert Fowler

"A man is as happy as he chooses to be...."
                                 Abraham Lincoln
 _____________________________________
|                                     |
|           Code Generation           |
|    http://www.codegeneration.com    |
| mailto:[email protected] |
|                                     |
|            Albert Fowler            |
|         44634 N 14th Street         |
|      Phoenix, Arizona 85027 USA     |
|           (623) 465-0357            |
|_____________________________________|

Re:Looking for an Animated Gif Component

> According to Netscapes Lawyers: displaying gif images does not require a
> license from unysis.
> From what I understand Netscape is not licensed to display gifs and has
> not been sued.

Sorry, but that doesn't make it legal. The below link makes it quite clear
that creaing or displaying compressed GIFs without permission violates
Unisys' patents. Yech.

> > http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory//lzwfaq.html

This pretty much sums it up:

The answer is simple.
 In all cases, a written license agreement or statement signed by an authorized Unisys representative
 is required from Unisys for all use, sale or distribution of any software (including so-called
 "freeware") and/or hardware providing LZW conversion capability (for example, downloaded
 software used for creating/displaying GIF images).

Now, I'm no lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, so *you* can fight them in
court it you want....

| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:[email protected])    |
| http://www.buddydog.org                           |

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of Smart?
 - Anonymous

Jonathan Arnold wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>This pretty much sums it up:

>The answer is simple.
> In all cases, a written license agreement or statement signed by an

authorized Unisys representative
> is required from Unisys for all use, sale or distribution of any software

(including so-called

> "freeware") and/or hardware providing LZW conversion capability (for
example, downloaded
> software used for creating/displaying GIF images).

I read somewhere in The GIMP documentation (Gnu IMage Processing) that this
program does not use LZW compression, leaving you aside from Unisys long
arm.

I tried GIMP for image handling and it worked ok, just as Adobe Photoshop. I
got GIMP included with Red Hat Linux 6.0.

Rodolfo M. Raya

 MAXPROGRAMS
 Member of IBM Solution Developer Program
 Microsoft MSDN ISV Program Member
 [email protected]
 http://www.maxprograms.com

Re:Looking for an Animated Gif Component

> I read somewhere in The GIMP documentation (Gnu IMage Processing) that this
> program does not use LZW compression, leaving you aside from Unisys long

That's right - it isn't GIF per se that is copyrighted, it is the LZW compression
used in many, if not most, GIFs that is. Sure, you can do GIFs that don't have
compression - read and write them to your heart's content. But unfortunately,
the ones you create will be big, and most GIFs out there are compressed.

In article <[email protected]>, "Rodolfo M. Raya" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I read somewhere in The GIMP documentation (Gnu IMage Processing) that this
>program does not use LZW compression, leaving you aside from Unisys long
>arm.

>I tried GIMP for image handling and it worked ok, just as Adobe Photoshop. I
>got GIMP included with Red Hat Linux 6.0.

Unisys claims that these uncompressed GIF libraries violate their patent.

I suggest that everyone dump GIF as fast as possible, boycott Unisys, and
start using PNG.

John - N8086N
Big brother is watching. Disable cookies in your web browser.
Wise man says "Never use a bank with the initials F. U."
Are you interested in a professional society or
guild for programmers? Want to fight section 1706?

See www.programmersguild.org
Newsgroup: us.issues.occupations.computer-programmers

EMail Address:
[email protected]_c_o_l_o_s_s_e_u_m_b_u_i_l_d_e_r_s._c_o_m_

Other Threads