Precompiled header problem in C++Builder 5

I have a fairly large project (130,000+ lines, many source and header files) in which my precompiled header settings suddenly became inoperative. Build time went from about 2 minutes on an 800 MHz machine to about 40 minutes. I have been unable to find any reason for it. The identical set of project and source files compiles using precompiled headers in 7 or 8 minutes on my 300 MHz laptop, so it doesn't appear to be project or compiler option settings (I've checked them several times). Normally I only use my laptop when I have to work off site (it doesn't compete well with a real keyboard, dual monitors, etc!). I know I need to upgrade to version 6, but in the mean time I'm losing a lot of time. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make precompiled headers work again? What else should I check? Is there anything in the registry that could be set wrong (I've looked, but I didn't find anything obvious)? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Re:Precompiled header problem in C++Builder 5

"Bob McCurdy" <bmccu...@povn.com> wrote:

>I have a fairly large project (130,000+ lines, many source and
>header files) in which my precompiled header settings suddenly
>became inoperative. Build time went from about 2 minutes on an
>800 MHz machine to about 40 minutes.

If you still use the default file for precompiled headers that
resides somewhere in the BCB directories, change that to a local
name (e.g. "myheaders.csm"). Otherwise all projects share one
file and switching between them makes compile times huge.

Re:Precompiled header problem in C++Builder 5

Try compiling your project with extended  error information (Project
Options->Compiler).
This may reveal when the problem occurs.

"Bob McCurdy" <bmccu...@povn.com> wrote in message

> I have a fairly large project (130,000+ lines, many source and header

files) in which my precompiled header settings suddenly became inoperative.
Build time went from about 2 minutes on an 800 MHz machine to about 40
minutes. I have been unable to find any reason for it. The identical set of
project and source files compiles using precompiled headers in 7 or 8
minutes on my 300 MHz laptop, so it doesn't appear to be project or compiler
option settings (I've checked them several times). Normally I only use my
laptop when I have to work off site (it doesn't compete well with a real
keyboard, dual monitors, etc!). I know I need to upgrade to version 6, but
in the mean time I'm losing a lot of time. Does anyone have any ideas on how
to make precompiled headers work again? What else should I check? Is there
anything in the registry that could be set wrong (I've looked, but I didn't
find anything obvious)? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Re:Precompiled header problem in C++Builder 5

I sometimes get this problem with my pre-compiled headers.

What normally happens is that I include some new file/component that
includes maths.h (or is it math.hpp?)  Anyway, one of these files has
something like static const int SomeVale=0.0993  etc

Turn on detailed compiler output and see if it says it cannot make the
pre-compiled headrs because there is code in a header file.

HTH

"DP" <daveperkins@_woo-hoo"-'#-bigfoot.com> wrote:
>I sometimes get this problem with my pre-compiled headers.

>What normally happens is that I include some new file/component that
>includes maths.h (or is it math.hpp?)  Anyway, one of these files has
>something like static const int SomeVale=0.0993  etc

>Turn on detailed compiler output and see if it says it cannot make the
>pre-compiled headrs because there is code in a header file.

>HTH

Thank you! Thank you! That was the problem. The latest version of "ZipBuilder.h" contains some initialized strings! And those guys should know better! Anyway, things are back to normal, buildwise, since I have excluded ZipBuilder.h from the precompiled headers list.

Other Threads