Chip Card

2005-05-04 02:26:59 AM
cppbuilder16
Hello
I need to develop an application that uses chip card,
unfortunately i'm new about this. Anybody know how does
it work chip card memory, if it's something similar to a
file system or more similare to magnetic badge?
Any idea or web site where can i find infos about chip smart cards?
I know that there are some card readers/writers that provide
c++ library to build a program but unfortunately no infos about data
storage in the card.
thank you in advance.
Francesco

Re:Chip Card

In article <4277c273$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Francesco wrote:
I need to develop an application that uses chip card,
It would help to know whatsort of card, and what sort of application.
I know that there are some card readers/writers that provide
c++ library to build a program
If the card is a CPU card and you are developing for Windows you can use
the WinSCard functions in Windows itself. Otherwise your cardreader vendor
will probably provide libraries to communicate with the card and reader.
Some serial readers can be accessed just be reading/writing the serial
port.
... but unfortunately no infos about data storage in the card.
It depends very much on the type of card. Most CPU cards use the filesystem
laid out in ISO 7816 (especially part 4). Other cards use proprietary data
layouts -- see the datasheet for the card.
Cheers,
Daniel.

Re:Chip Card

Hi Daniel,
Thank you for the answer, I need to develop a fidelity application to
collect point of each client, customer fidelity card. I was thinking to
use chipcard instead of magnetic card cause i can store more data.
I think use ISO 7816 can you advise me any good site where
i can find infos about the filesystem structure or how
to store data on it? (part 4, input commands, output commands and so on)
thanks, Francesco
Daniel James wrote:
In article <4277c273$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Francesco wrote:
>I need to develop an application that uses chip card,

It would help to know whatsort of card, and what sort of application.

>I know that there are some card readers/writers that provide
>c++ library to build a program

If the card is a CPU card and you are developing for Windows you can
use the WinSCard functions in Windows itself. Otherwise your
cardreader vendor will probably provide libraries to communicate with
the card and reader. Some serial readers can be accessed just be
reading/writing the serial port.

>... but unfortunately no infos about data storage in the card.

It depends very much on the type of card. Most CPU cards use the
filesystem laid out in ISO 7816 (especially part 4). Other cards use
proprietary data layouts -- see the datasheet for the card.

Cheers,
Daniel.

{smallsort}

Re:Chip Card

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Francesco wrote:
... can you advise me any good site where
i can find infos about the filesystem structure or how
to store data on it?
There are many links from the FAQ page for the public newsgroup
alt.technology.smartcards, which is available (in web form) at
www.mobile-mind.com/htm/scfaq.htm
Once you have chosen a card you will be able to learn more about the
filesystem and the commands available on that card from them card
manufacturer's documentation. I think you need to determine what cards may
be suitable for your application before you look too closely at the
programming aspects. Most modern cards follow ISO 7816, but there are
differences in implementation.
Cheers,
Daniel.