Does DDE work?

2005-09-15 07:35:40 AM
cppbuilder49
I'm still looking for a simple IPC mechanism and I'd thought I would look at
DDE (yes I know it
is ancient). Does the DDE Server component actually work? I set it up and
got my DDE client
(a dll) to connect to it fine, and send an execute command apparently
without error, but none of
the DdeServerConv events get activated.

Re:Does DDE work?

"Jeff McKay" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm still looking for a simple IPC mechanism
The WM_COPYDATA message is about the simpliest ting you can use. Whether or
not it suits your needs depends on what exactly you want to accomplish,
though.
I'd thought I would look at DDE (yes I know it is ancient).
Does the DDE Server component actually work? I set it up
and got my DDE client (a dll) to connect to it fine, and send
an execute command apparently without error, but none of
the DdeServerConv events get activated.
You did not say how exactly you set up the server, or show how the client is
connecting to it.
Gambit

Re:Does DDE work?

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 02:35:40 +0300, Jeff McKay < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I'm still looking for a simple IPC mechanism and I'd thought I would
look at
DDE (yes I know it
is ancient). Does the DDE Server component actually work? I set it up
and
got my DDE client
(a dll) to connect to it fine, and send an execute command apparently
without error, but none of
the DdeServerConv events get activated.

Hi there,
I had MASSIVE problems with DDE, but I managed to sort them out. Most of
the problems, as I discovered, were that I didn't understand the DDE
protocol too much.
My app is used as a DDE server (written in BCB++5) and another app reads
from it (written in VB6). What I basically do is the following:
-Create a form and apply a name to it (important!)
-Create a few TDdeServerItem objects on that form and apply names to them
(also important!)
-Compile the program and make a note of the prog's filename (need I say
"important"?)
-Drop a few textboxes in VB
-In their "Linktopic" property I set up the prog's name and form's name
(without the .exe extension) in the format "program|form", for example
"term|MyTestForm"
-In their "Linkitem" property I type the names of the TDdeServerItem
objects.
-It's a good idea for the BCB program to be running at this state, and
also it must be on the path of the VB project.
-Then, I just change the "Linkmode" property of the VB textboxes from '0'
to '1' or '2'. If all everything went well, the textbox will be updated.
Having the BCB app act as a client shouldn't be much different from this..
Hope this helps,
George Nakos
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: www.opera.com/mail/