Lost funcationality with WideString

2006-02-04 02:28:22 PM
cppbuilder38
BDS2006 is the first version of C++ I have purchased since BCB4, the other
versions had more problems than benefits.
In trying to recompile my applications under this new environment, but I've
noticed that Borland has changed many (if not all) of it's database
rountines to now take WideStrings.
I understand the reasoning behind it, it makes it more international, but
WideString has far, far less functional than is predecessor, AnsiString.
41 functions/propertys (AnsiString) to 13 functions/propertys (WideString).
None of my applications will now compile!!
I can't even do an UpperCase with WideString.
How is everyone else getting around this Borland fumble?
Thanks

Re:Lost funcationality with WideString

"Relaxin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
41 functions/propertys (AnsiString) to 13
functions/propertys (WideString).
What WideString lacks in member methods directly in the class, the VCL's SysUtils and StrUtils units make up for with standalone functions that take string objects as parameters.
Besides, the AnsiString methods delegate their operations to those same units internally anyway, so you are not really losing any runtime functionality at all, you just have to call it differently when using WideString instead of AnsiString. Borland expanded those units in BCB 6 to handle WideString and AnsiString fairly equally in terms of the number of operations that are implemented.
I can't even do an UpperCase with WideString.
I don't have the files in front of me at the moment, but there is either an UpperCase() overload that takes a WideString parameter, or there is a separate WideUpperCase() function available.
Gambit

At 23:29:26, 06.02.2006, Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:

"Relaxin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>41 functions/propertys (AnsiString) to 13
>functions/propertys (WideString).

What WideString lacks in member methods directly in the class, the
VCL's SysUtils and StrUtils units make up for with standalone functions
that take string objects as parameters.
Also take a look at the WideStrUtils and WideStrings units, in BDS2006.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"Some editors are failed writers, but so are most writers."

{smallsort}