How to recompile VCL?

2004-09-07 05:27:57 PM
cppbuilder23
Quality Central 4319 reports a problem with GetEnvironmentVariable() an
shows a workaround (in SysUtils.pas).
How can I tell my IDE to recompile the package after I have edited
SysUtils.pas?
Helmut

Re:How to recompile VCL?

I think the solution is to make sure your project ISN'T using runtime
packages (ie static linking) and then add the modified version of the
.pas file to the project. The linker will use the .pas files from the
project before ones in the compiled libs.
HTH
Russell
C.N.Taur wrote:
Quality Central 4319 reports a problem with GetEnvironmentVariable() an
shows a workaround (in SysUtils.pas).

How can I tell my IDE to recompile the package after I have edited
SysUtils.pas?

Helmut

Re:How to recompile VCL?

Hi Russell
and thank you for your info.
The project is static, and I added SysUtils.pas to it. Now compiling it
results in the error message:
"[Pascal Fatal Error]: Package 'SysUtils' is needed, and could not be
found".
My guess: it results from the first line of SysUtils.pas which is
unit SysUtils;
Helmut

C.N.Taur wrote:
>Quality Central 4319 reports a problem with GetEnvironmentVariable() an
>shows a workaround (in SysUtils.pas).
>
>How can I tell my IDE to recompile the package after I have edited
>SysUtils.pas?
>
>Helmut

{smallsort}

Re:How to recompile VCL?

Question to Borland (or anyone who knows about that):
QC 4319 reads as if there would be a patch or update available for delphi.
Isn't there a patch or update available for CBuilder?

C.N.Taur wrote:
Quality Central 4319 reports a problem with GetEnvironmentVariable() an
shows a workaround (in SysUtils.pas).
How significant is the change to SysUtils.pas? Is it just one routine.
If you only need to fix one routine, there is a trick you can use if you
statically link your project: just recode that one routine in C++
somewhere in your project.
This technique is used in this FAQ
www.bcbdev.com/faqs/faq6.htm
Go to the section that says "Final Note (C++Builder 1.0 only)". A ways
down from there, you will see a version of TApplication::CreateHandle
written in C++.
H^2

Re:How to recompile VCL?

Thanks Harold
it worked - after playing some other tricks with the function names
GetEnvironmentVariable() and GetEnvironmentVariableA().
C.N.T.
Harold Howe [TeamB] wrote:
C.N.Taur wrote:

>Quality Central 4319 reports a problem with GetEnvironmentVariable() an
>shows a workaround (in SysUtils.pas).

How significant is the change to SysUtils.pas? Is it just one routine.

If you only need to fix one routine, there is a trick you can use if you
statically link your project: just recode that one routine in C++
somewhere in your project.

This technique is used in this FAQ

www.bcbdev.com/faqs/faq6.htm

Go to the section that says "Final Note (C++Builder 1.0 only)". A ways
down from there, you will see a version of TApplication::CreateHandle
written in C++.

H^2

Re:How to recompile VCL?

it worked - after playing some other tricks with the function names
GetEnvironmentVariable() and GetEnvironmentVariableA().
Cheers to the preprocessor. The cause of, and solution to, all of C's
problems.
PS: the cool people will certainly know the true origins of the quote I
stole this from.
H^2