[Linker Error] & VCL50.BPL

2004-10-22 04:03:43 AM
cppbuilder53
trying to compile and link a stand alone executable using BCB5. 2
difficulties, 1 intermittent, the other always.
First the fixed error: when the executable is successfully compiled and
linked and i attempt to run it on another machine, i get the following error
message "The dynamic link library VCL50.BPL could not be found ....". i
assume this is some sort of run time library. how are the project options
changed so that the exe created will be a stand alone for any machine.
second, the intermittent problem. i seem to be getting a linker error
during some builds/makes. the message is as follows "[Linker Error] Fatal:
Access Violation. Link Terminated". i seem to be able to sometimes re-start
BCB and/or machine re-boot and attempt again to get a successful link.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Steve

Re:[Linker Error] & VCL50.BPL

Steve,
Go into your Project Options...
On the Linker tab, uncheck "Use Dynamic RTL". On the Packages tab, uncheck
"Build With Runtime Packages". Rebuild the project and the executable
should be standalone.
For the linker error, are you saving any of your projects in directories
with non-alphanumeric characters in the name? The + sign is a common one,
but others like ?, |, etc., can also cause problems.
-- YH --

Re:[Linker Error] & VCL50.BPL

Unchecking the "Packages" did the trick. I had figured out the "Dynamic
RTL", but not Packages. I will check about the characters in the file and
directory names. I know there are no "+" signs, but there easily could be
spaces and/or "-" signs.
Thanks for your very quick and helpful response,
Steve

--
Please confine your posts to the newsgroups and DO NOT reply to this
e-mail

{smallsort}

Re:[Linker Error] & VCL50.BPL

2. I had the same problem. Changing from detailed map file to no map
file solved the problem.
Lars
steve_k wrote:
[...]

still not able to resolve the linker error problem. for the current
project, it will not link at all now
I tried the other suggestion "...Changing from detailed map file to no map
file solved the problem.", to no avail. I wondered if it might not be a PC
configuration issue, so I loaded one of my other projects in, a DLL, it
linked everything just fine. the project giving difficulty however is an
exe, for whatever that is worth.
the obj files for the DLL project that links properly have sizes as follows:
file1.obj 7kb
file2.obj 10kb
file3.obj 18kb
file4.obj 30kb
the unlinkable project has obj file sizes as follows:
file1.obj 38kb
file2.obj 95kb
file3.obj 15kb
file4.obj 109kb
in addition to a few res files supplied with the IDE. this is such a small
exe project that I can't imagine there are difficulties with sizes, however,
I guess it could be broken down some more if that is a likely culprit.
if there are any more ideas on what to look for, much appreciated
thanks again