Re: BCB 6 Make turns out Build

2005-09-06 02:37:39 PM
cppbuilder29
If your files are on a network storage, this could be a time problem.
I've encountered this behaviour with the server being a minute in the
future (from the view of my desktop) and therefore every file saved
was newer than the local time.
So when I had to save the project file BCB did a complete rebuild.
HTH
Matthias
On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:58:07 +0800, "PVGolez" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:

<Repost>

I had been working with a project for six months and encountered a problem
when doing a MAKE. Everytime a Make Project Command is invoked all
of the source files are recompiled and linked as if a Build was invoked.
Even a compile of a just-compiled (no change) cpp file would be recompiled
as if it was changed.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,

PVGolez

Re:Re: BCB 6 Make turns out Build

Hi,

PVGolez wrote:

<Repost>

I had been working with a project for six months and encountered a problem
when doing a MAKE. Everytime a Make Project Command is invoked all
of the source files are recompiled and linked as if a Build was invoked.
Even a compile of a just-compiled (no change) cpp file would be recompiled
as if it was changed.

What could be the problem?

I have the same problem. No changes to files. Files are located on a
local hard disk. Use of precompiled headers is optimized. Every time I
do make it recompiles most of the .cpp files (takes around 5 minutes for
each make :( )

{smallsort}

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Muzaffar Mahkamov wrote:
PVGolez wrote:
>Hi,
>
><Repost>
>
>I had been working with a project for six months and encountered a problem
>when doing a MAKE. Everytime a Make Project Command is invoked all
>of the source files are recompiled and linked as if a Build was invoked.
>Even a compile of a just-compiled (no change) cpp file would be recompiled
>as if it was changed.
>
>What could be the problem?

I have the same problem. No changes to files. Files are located on a
local hard disk. Use of precompiled headers is optimized. Every time I
do make it recompiles most of the .cpp files (takes around 5 minutes for
each make :( )
Me too except my compile takes 4 minutes and this doesn't happen every
time. The project has about 16000 lines of code.
seismo malm

Re:Re: BCB 6 Make turns out Build

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...

<Repost>

I had been working with a project for six months and encountered a problem
when doing a MAKE. Everytime a Make Project Command is invoked all
of the source files are recompiled and linked as if a Build was invoked.
Even a compile of a just-compiled (no change) cpp file would be recompiled
as if it was changed.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,

PVGolez

Hi,
possible a header file included in most of the cpp files has been
modified, or the date/time of the file is not correct.
Hans zandbergen

Re:Re: BCB 6 Make turns out Build

What Mr Zandbergen's describes is almost certainly the reason for that
behavior.
Try doing these things.
Because you have been developing for a while it is likely that you will say
"these things are already ok". Please don't say that. Go through the
drill.
Yes, it is "overkill" in that most likely only one of the items mentioned is
the cause of the problem. However I do not know which one so list them all.
Check your computer's date and time. Don't say "I know it's right", check
it including the year and month. If you've interest in an exact value, you
can get the time to the second from here:
www.time.gov/
Set the project to use a precompiled header file specific to the project.
For example, if the project name is ABC then set the precompiled header name
to be ".\ABC.csm" (or .pch).
Check the date and time for each of the header files of the libraries and
packages that you are using which were not part of what the compiler
supplied.
Repeat the above with the files in the project directory.
Also do a
dir /s /od /p
on the compiler's INCLUDE directory and make sure that the latest (the last
shown) files in each directory have dates and times that are not in the
future.
For any file which has a time or date in the future you can set it to the
current time and date with a command like this:
touch filename.ext
Delete the *.il? and *.tds files in the project directory.
For each *.pas or *.asm file in the project, check that you have the
corresponding *.obj file. Then remove the *.pas and *.asm files from the
project and add the corresponding *.obj files to the project.
Repeat the above for any *.rc files, adding the correcsponding *.res files
to the project. NOTE: the ProjectName.RES file is created by the IDE and
should not be added to the list of files in the project.
Now do a Project|Build (or make -B) and go have a cup of coffee while it
builds. I think that afterwards the always-rebuild-all problem will have
dissapeared.
. Ed
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...