Command line build-ing (newbie question)

2004-02-14 12:01:39 AM
cppbuilder72
Hello,
I want to learn more about command line building
(compiling & linking).
Can you please suggest me some web site to start.
I need that beacuse of easier maintenance of large
projects and easier maintenance of the projects'
shared code.
That means I badly need to avoid the automatism
that is related between Project1.Bpl & Project1.Cpp.
Thanks.

Re:Command line build-ing (newbie question)

You might try doing it this way:
Start by reading a light overview of compiling and linking:
www.mulroy.org/oview.htm
Pull up the help that came with the compiler and type BCC32 into the edit
control under the Index tab to get to a page which shows the command line
options for the compiler.
Repeat the above with ILINK32 in the edit control for the linker's command
line syntax and options.
Then look at some of the command lines used by the batch files and make
files in the various demos in this zip file:
www.mulroy.org/hello.zip
Read the documentation on make.exe
www.clipx.net/ng/make4/index.php
www.dmi.unict.it/~pappalar/lab3/makedoc_2.pdf
Find the names of the various startup code object files and libraries by
typing STATIC RUNTIME LIBRARIES into the help's edit contol.
You can convert your *.bpr project file to a *.mak make file with the
Bpr2Mak.exe utility that came with C++ Builder. Run the program without any
command line arguments to see help on how to use it.
. Ed
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

"Vladimir Stefanovic" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hello,
I want to learn more about command line building
(compiling & linking).

Can you please suggest me some web site to start.
Vladimir,
If you want a simple, good introduction to using Borland's command line
tools, see
web.archive.org/web/20011031092635/www.pharo.onlinehome.de/Bcc55.html
This will give you a good start!
Regards,
Andrew Fenton

{smallsort}

Re:Command line build-ing (newbie question)

Hi,
Thanks to both of you for the quick answer to my
question. I have lots of material to study now.
I am a newbie to BCB command line compiling but
I have lots of experience in development in such a
working environment.
I used to work in a team that has released:
'Development Assistant for C' www.ristancase.com
one of the ultimate C language case tools ever.
By the way - the code was pure OWL :) !
All the build process was made via command line