Problem with 5.5 commandline tools(Turbo incremental Linker)

2004-01-03 06:29:45 AM
cppbuilder38
I've tried everything in my ability to figur out this problem.
I have installed both updates that are given on this site but it didn't seem to take an effect.
the error goes as follows :
! Fatal: Error detected (LME279)
! Fatal: Error detected (LME347)
with both VIDE and Interface_C.
Help would be apreciated; thanks.

Re:Problem with 5.5 commandline tools(Turbo incremental Linker)

One man who had that pair of errors got rid of them by rebootong Win98. His
guess as to why was that Win98 doesn't do a very good job of handling memory
and wouldn't give the linker as much memory as it wanted.
While I agree with that, if you are calling the linker yourself I also think
this might help. Add the option /Gn to the ilink32 command line to suppress
the generation of state files (*.il? files).
. Ed
nuclearjoker wrote in message
news:3ff5fee9$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

I've tried everything in my ability to figur out this problem.
I have installed both updates that are given on this site but
it didn't seem to take an effect. the error goes as follows :

! Fatal: Error detected (LME279)
! Fatal: Error detected (LME347)

with both VIDE and Interface_C.
Help would be apreciated; thanks.

Re:Problem with 5.5 commandline tools(Turbo incremental Linker)

guess as to why was that Win98 doesn't do a very good job of handling
memory
and wouldn't give the linker as much memory as it wanted.
Really? in 128 MB memory machine, Win98 have 64 MB free memory. when the
machine install Win9x, the free memory only 10 MB. I still use Win98(updated
IE6 SP1, MPlayer 9 and patched).

{smallsort}

Re:Problem with 5.5 commandline tools(Turbo incremental Linker)

FYI: 128 M is not a lot of memory. Win98 itself uses more than half of
that (Win95 with IE5 takes>80M without MPlayer and both Win98 and IE6 are
bigger). The 64M free that you speak of is what is free from the total of
memory and virtual memory on the disk. On my 128M Win98 machine I set up a
128M fixed swap file to get more stability.
Memory has gotten cheap these days. If I were still running Win98 I'd
probably load in as much memory as the mother board would hold. My wife's
Win98SE machine has 192M, the motherboard's limit, and the change helped a
lot.
I looked up our machines on Crucial (www.crucial.com/), saw the types
of memory and how much could fit and ordered it. At least look up your
machine there to see what kind of memory (SDRAM, DDR, PC133, PC100, parity
or no parity etc) and how much your machine can take and what kind of price
it might cost. Crucial is not the absolute cheapest but I like them because
there's no question about quality (they don't buy memory from others, they
manufacture it themselves).
With 128M of memory the machine does a lot of swapping between disk and
memory during a compile and link of any but the smallest program. Other
limitations are independent of how much memory in the machine. As I
remember it Win98 is built on a 16 bit foundation and limits the resource
record table to a 64K segment (one each for GDI and data memory tables). It
does not take a huge program for the number of selectors allocated during
the linker's allocations to fill the table. I was a Win98 fan until my
machine died and the replacement had Win2K. The difference in stability
between a 128M Win98 machine and a Win2K or XP machine suprised me. My
replacement machine came with Win2K and 128M (and Win2K is much bigger than
Win98). Even with 128M the stability was much greater. I upgraded to XP
Pro and increased the memory to 512M and am very happy with its performance.
My wife's Win98SE machine now annoys me <g>
. Ed
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...