network speed limiting

2005-04-08 09:51:59 PM
cppbuilder74
Hi,
I need to develop a program which can limit network usage/bandwidth, as I on our lan we have a 100 mbps connections, a lot of people are moving a lot of data about, I'd like to be able to limit the speed of the data transfer if I can to a defined value, but Iím not too sure as to where I need to start looking or what to research.
Thanks for your time,
MwnN

Re:network speed limiting

"MwnN" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I need to develop a program which can limit network usage/bandwidth,
as I on our lan we have a 100 mbps connections, a lot of people are
moving a lot of data about, I'd like to be able to limit the speed of the
data transfer if I can to a defined value, but I'm not too sure as to
where
I need to start looking or what to research.
The only way to limit bandwidth usage across the network is to install
routers that support that.
Otherwise, you have to install software on each individual machine. Which
means writing your own (or finding third-party) NDIS drivers that hook the
socket stack directly. But then, that only applies to TCP/IP sockets, and
not other network protocols like NetBEUI (I don't think, anyway).
Gambit

Re:network speed limiting

Thanks for the info Gambit,
I did a bit of searching about the ndis drivers and am in the
process of ordering the windows DDK. Do you know of any
borland components or anything like that, that I could use in
order to get kick started, i came accross SocketView ActiveX
Packet Filter TDI but that was about it.
Thanks again,
MwnN

"MwnN" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:42567e6f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I need to develop a program which can limit network usage/bandwidth,
>as I on our lan we have a 100 mbps connections, a lot of people are
>moving a lot of data about, I'd like to be able to limit the speed of the
>data transfer if I can to a defined value, but I'm not too sure as to
where
>I need to start looking or what to research.

The only way to limit bandwidth usage across the network is to install
routers that support that.

Otherwise, you have to install software on each individual machine. Which
means writing your own (or finding third-party) NDIS drivers that hook the
socket stack directly. But then, that only applies to TCP/IP sockets, and
not other network protocols like NetBEUI (I don't think, anyway).

Gambit

{smallsort}