how much for a program?

hello all..I hopw this is in the right newsgroup..
someone asked me to write a program like
www.weblogexpert.com
www.loganalyzer.net
practically a log analyzer for webserver..the guys wants to know how much a
such program will cost to him.
I dont know an exact value before beginning the work...how do you orient in
situations like this?
approximately how much would you ask for a such program? and if he wants
sources too??
thanks in advance!

Re:how much for a program?

"M0L0Ch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
approximately how much would you ask for a such program? and if he wants
sources too??
decide how many lines your program will be, estimate how many hours you need
to spend in writing it, multiply by $100, or whatever is your competitive
rate and you arrived at cost.

Re:how much for a program?

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>approximately how much would you ask for a such program? and if he wants
>sources too??

decide how many lines your program will be, estimate how many hours you
need
to spend in writing it,
this is the problem..I dont know how many hours/lines it may take...
I'd say one month or two, more or less..too much?
multiply by $100, or whatever is your competitive
rate and you arrived at cost.

{smallsort}

Re:how much for a program?

One would need pretty detailed description of the requirements / features...
and whether the one who wants you make one needs it for internal use or for
resseling or for bundling or or or....
whether you will be creating new versions with additional features ...
No way to help without enough information...
Yahia

Re:how much for a program?

here are a link to the features required
www.weblogexpert.com/features.htm
they will sell the prog to their customers (they're a hosting company)
and probably no new versions since they've asked for the sources too..
really thanks for your help!!
"Yahia El-Qasem" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
One would need pretty detailed description of the requirements /
features...
and whether the one who wants you make one needs it for internal use or
for
resseling or for bundling or or or....

whether you will be creating new versions with additional features ...

No way to help without enough information...

Yahia

Re:how much for a program?

depending on the experience you have... on the tools available / are allowed
to be used... I think they all would have at least to be royalty free
distributable and have to come with full source.... and even better if the
components you use are freeware...
you will need :
a) local DB engine : like dbisam / nexusdb / accuracer ( all commercial )...
or firebird ( freeware )
b) internet components : like ipworks ( commercial )... or Indy / ICS ( both
freeware )
c) some charting components
d) some detailed information about the log file formats...
if you have some robust experience with text file parsing etc. you will
perhaps need something between 2 and 3 months development time...
an alternative would be to search for a freeware log analyzer tool with full
source and customize that...
Just my 2 cents...
Yahia

Re:how much for a program?

Estimate the time it will take to implement each feature and the time of
integrating
all the features into one application, testing, debugging, etc. Then add all
those times to
get the total amout time T (hours). Then multiply T by your hourly rate
(Dollars/hour)
Cost = T * Dollars
"Vision is the ability to predict and take advantage of it" Rodolfo, 2003
"M0L0Ch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
here are a link to the features required
www.weblogexpert.com/features.htm
they will sell the prog to their customers (they're a hosting company)
and probably no new versions since they've asked for the sources too..
really thanks for your help!!

"Yahia El-Qasem" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>One would need pretty detailed description of the requirements /
features...
>and whether the one who wants you make one needs it for internal use or
for
>resseling or for bundling or or or....
>
>whether you will be creating new versions with additional features ...
>

>No way to help without enough information...
>
>Yahia

Re:how much for a program?

"Yahia El-Qasem" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
depending on the experience you have... on the tools available / are
allowed
to be used... I think they all would have at least to be royalty free
distributable and have to come with full source.... and even better if the
components you use are freeware...
thank you very much..at least I've an idea.

you will need :

a) local DB engine : like dbisam / nexusdb / accuracer ( all
commercial )...
or firebird ( freeware )
why not borland's BDE?
if you have some robust experience with text file parsing etc. you will
perhaps need something between 2 and 3 months development time...

not so robust but I've some experience.. :)

Re:how much for a program?

thank you very much..
in particular I was seeking opinions on the estimation of the time required
for a such project...
"Rodolfo Frino" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Estimate the time it will take to implement each feature and the time of
integrating
all the features into one application, testing, debugging, etc. Then add
all
those times to
get the total amout time T (hours). Then multiply T by your hourly rate
(Dollars/hour)

Cost = T * Dollars

"Vision is the ability to predict and take advantage of it" Rodolfo, 2003

"M0L0Ch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>here are a link to the features required
>www.weblogexpert.com/features.htm
>they will sell the prog to their customers (they're a hosting company)
>and probably no new versions since they've asked for the sources too..
>really thanks for your help!!
>
>"Yahia El-Qasem" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>One would need pretty detailed description of the requirements /
>features...
>>and whether the one who wants you make one needs it for internal use
or
>for
>>resseling or for bundling or or or....
>>
>>whether you will be creating new versions with additional features ...
>>

>>No way to help without enough information...
>>
>>Yahia

Re:how much for a program?

Rodolfo Frino wrote:
Estimate the time it will take to implement each feature and the time of
integrating
all the features into one application, testing, debugging, etc. Then add all
those times to
get the total amout time T (hours). Then multiply T by your hourly rate
(Dollars/hour)

Cost = T * Dollars

You forgot to add "Then take your final estimate of hours and multiply
by two. This number will then equate to some small, but finite,
percentage of the hours that it actually takes..."
David Erbas-White

Re:how much for a program?

BDE is complicated to install and : if you have more than one program using
BDE esp. different BDE-version then you ARE in trouble... another point : it
is outdated and no more supported... its performance is not that good...
I used one time in my career the BDE for a program... and discarded it when
I delivered the next version because it caused too much problems...
the options I mentioned are embeddable into you app... so no messing around
with different versions or installation routines...
and usually : better performance than BDE and they all have good support :-)
Yahia

Re:how much for a program?

the options I mentioned are embeddable into you app... so no messing
around
with different versions or installation routines...
eheheh :-)
and usually : better performance than BDE and they all have good support
:-)

Re:how much for a program?

M0L0Ch wrote:
someone asked me to write a program like
www.weblogexpert.com
www.loganalyzer.net
practically a log analyzer for webserver..the guys wants to know how much
a such program will cost to him.
Oh. Eehm. Start out with the webalizer source code, develop extra modules
which you let him pay and contribute them to webalizer project. Don't write
the thing from scratch. That would be a waste of money.
--
Ruurd

Re:how much for a program?

wow!! thankss!! :)
Oh. Eehm. Start out with the webalizer source code, develop extra modules
which you let him pay and contribute them to webalizer project. Don't
write
the thing from scratch. That would be a waste of money.

--

Ruurd

Re:how much for a program?

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 23:28:26 +0100, "Yahia El-Qasem"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
the options I mentioned are embeddable into you app... so no messing around
with different versions or installation routines...
and usually : better performance than BDE and they all have good support :-)
has anyone tried using the new embeddable version of MySQL with a BCB app?
O:-)