Re: Borland was too late for me.

2005-03-25 07:20:24 AM
cppbuilder53
[no snip to speak of]
I guess I'm requesting the same. What was inappropriately quoted?
Rob
"Alex Bakaev [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Robby Tanner wrote:
[big snip]

Please, quote appropriately.

Thanks,
.a

Re:Re: Borland was too late for me.

Robby Tanner wrote:
[no snip to speak of]

I guess I'm requesting the same. What was inappropriately quoted?

Rob

You quoted entire message to add one line of your text.
.a

Re:Re: Borland was too late for me.

Well at least you were real helpful. That's like saying read the Library
of Congress. But thanks anyway..
Boian Mitov wrote:
Hi Tim,

Read MSDN. It is old news.
Cheers,
Boian

tim wrote:

>Oh I certainly didn't mean to imply one is better than the other. :)
>Putting all your eggs into any proprietary, whether it be VCL or VB,
>technology is inherently risky.
>
>Also, you mentioned C# not being pushed and MS going back toward C++.
>How did you reach that conclusion? I'd like to read something about that.
>

>cheers,
>

>tim

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Borland was too late for me.

Boian Mitov wrote:
Hi Tim,

Read MSDN. It is old news.
Cheers,
Boian

tim wrote:

>Oh I certainly didn't mean to imply one is better than the other. :)
>Putting all your eggs into any proprietary, whether it be VCL or VB,
>technology is inherently risky.
>
>Also, you mentioned C# not being pushed and MS going back toward C++.
>How did you reach that conclusion? I'd like to read something about that.
>

>cheers,
>

>tim
One may also read how C++ is the only language in Visual Studio 2005 to
ship without a class designer, how silly bugs from VC 7.0 still won't be
fixed in VC 8.0 (for instance the C++ compiler ignores the Conditional
attribute which means Debug.Assert() calls aren't removed from release
builds), etc.
All the talk about C++\CLI becoming the main language for the .NET
Framework is a load of cr*p, there's nothing Microsoft would love more
than steering you away from C++ and into a language they are able to
control more closely.

George Gombos wrote:
All the talk about C++\CLI becoming the main language for the .NET
Framework is a load of cr*p, there's nothing Microsoft would love more
than steering you away from C++ and into a language they are able to
control more closely.
They control C++/CLI fully. That's the only MS-provided language where
all the features of the .NET 2.0 framework are implemented, and that's a
fact. The only .NET language that supports real destructors and stack
syntax for managed objects, which doesn't require us to use try finally
in every other line.
I don't think MS wants to steer away from C++, as even themselves have
most of their applications written in C++. They care more about the
platform (WinForms at this moment, Avalon in the future) than the
language. Of course many programmers will still write 90% of their code
in standard C++, and use .NET only as a library wrapper and for the GUI
(or won't use .NET at all).
Tom

Re:Re: Borland was too late for me.

Hi Tim,
I will give you some tips ;-) . Read the C++ and C# main articles. In
the next version C++ will be the only language to support the full set
of features of .NET 2.0 . Stack type objects as example are not planned
for C#. The statement from the M$ speakers at the last BorCon ware that
C++ now is the system language for .NET, and they do not plan to support
the full scale of the new features in any other languages. The rumor is
that there are a lot of M$ products written in C++, and the teams did
not feel like rewriting it all in C# or something...
Cheers,
Boian

"tim" wrote:
Also, you mentioned C# not being pushed and MS going back toward C++. How
did you reach that conclusion? I'd like to read something about that.
msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/default.aspx
Peter

Re:Re: Borland was too late for me.

I'm not sure which response you're referring to. The last two times I've
submitted a message, the "entire message" I quoted was maybe all of six
lines; which didn't strike me as overly intensive.
Please provide an example of what appropriate quoting would have looked like
using the message that prompted your request.
Thanks,
Robby Tanner wrote:
>[no snip to speak of]
>
>I guess I'm requesting the same. What was inappropriately quoted?
>
>Rob

You quoted entire message to add one line of your text.

.a

Re:Re: Borland was too late for me.

Robby,
He is right to complain. You added a single line at the bottom of all this. You had 3
levels of conversation and then at the bottom one whole sentence. That is bad practice.
"Dennis Jones" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

>"Robby Tanner" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:4241fa9a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>>>days,
>>>
>>>You probably meant something different, but that's an amusing statement,

>out

>>>of context and all...

>Ha! Yes, I didn't even realize how funny that was until you pointed it
out.

>What I meant was, technical support was provided free-of-charge to those
who
>purchased the product.
I thought it was something along those lines....

Robby Tanner wrote:
Please provide an example of what appropriate quoting would have looked like
using the message that prompted your request.

Thanks,
Rob

I see that Mr. Parker has provided the sample.
Best Regards,
Alex

Re:Re: Borland was too late for me.

Now I know which one. How should I have done it differently?
Robby Tanner wrote:
>Please provide an example of what appropriate quoting would have looked
like
>using the message that prompted your request.
>
>Thanks,
>Rob

I see that Mr. Parker has provided the sample.

Best Regards,
Alex

Re:Re: Borland was too late for me.

"Randall Parker" <SNIP></SNIP>wrote in message <SNIP></SNIP>
<SNIP>
<SNIP>
<SNIP>
</SNIP>*
*Although removal of "He is right to complain" only saved 9 characters, not
considering this footnote.
You added a single line at the bottom of all this.
"All this"? We are talking about the same very few lines aren't we?
You had 3 levels of conversation and then at the bottom one whole
sentence.
Bringing the total to five whole sentences.
That is bad practice.
Very dilligent editing would still only be the difference between 1 and 5
lines; a net difference at most of 5. How much energy is one to put in to
perfecting appropriate quoting over a handful of ASCII characters? I'm
usually fairly good at chopping out garbage.
My misgivings aside, sorry for all the hardship I caused.
Rob

Robby Tanner wrote:
Now I know which one. How should I have done it differently?

Rob

You wouldn't have top posted :) Well, when one has to scroll a screen to
get to just one added sentence, then too much was quoted. Newsreaders of
old wouldn't have allowed to make such post at all.
Regards,
.a

Re:Re: Borland was too late for me.

In article <4243201f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Andre Kaufmann wrote:
The minimum functionality i need is to define the project build order,
so that my (own) library projects are built at first.
Have you tried Rght Click on the (sub) project, BuildSooner/Later? Or
just edit the PROJECTS line in the .bpg file?
Mike

Re:Re: Borland was too late for me.

What does top posted mean? There are some nuances and terms I'm just not
familiar with.
Rob
"Alex Bakaev [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Robby Tanner wrote: