Using both BCB6 and BCB2006

2006-01-07 06:25:45 PM
cppbuilder26
Hi,
using a virtual desktop, I'm verifing that BCB2006 pro was not 100%
compatible with my projects and with the thirdy-parts VCL components
I'm using.
So I will'try to install BCB2006 without to remove BCB6 pro,
before to do this ,
I like to know if something has tried this operation,
for some feedback.
Many thanks,
Andrea Peri.

Re:Using both BCB6 and BCB2006

It works just fine here, C5, C6 and 2006 installed on the same machine.

At 11:25:45, 07.01.2006, Andrea wrote:

using a virtual desktop, I'm verifing that BCB2006 pro was not 100%
compatible with my projects and with the thirdy-parts VCL components
I'm using.

So I will'try to install BCB2006 without to remove BCB6 pro,

before to do this ,
I like to know if something has tried this operation,
for some feedback.
No problem. I have D5, BCB5, D6, BCB6, D7, D8, D2005 and BDS2006 on this
machine without any interference. Just be sure to install each in their
own (sub)directory, and to install the newer product last.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write

{smallsort}

Re:Using both BCB6 and BCB2006

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
D2005 and BDS2006
What about the BPL-directory? It's the same. And the .dcp files without a
(version-)suffix are in conflict with each other.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

At 12:03:41, 08.01.2006, Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:

>D2005 and BDS2006

What about the BPL-directory? It's the same.
What bpl directory?
And the .dcp files without
a (version-)suffix are in conflict with each other.
I have all Borland .dcp files in the \lib subdirectory of each
installation. They don't conflict.
IOW, I have:
D:\Borland
BDS
3.0
Bin
dcp -- for my own .dcps
Imports
lib
4.0
Bin
dcp -- for my own .dcps
Imports
lib
Borland shared
BDE
BDS
dbExpress
Shared Assemblies
3.0
4.0
CBuilder6
Bin
dcp -- for my own .dcps
Imports
lib
Oh, I don't use the xxx\Borland Studio Projects\bpl directory at all. And
anyway, if you give them all suitable suffixes, dclusr90.bpl and
dclusr100.bpl don't conflict.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"In all large corporations, there is a pervasive fear that someone,

Re:Using both BCB6 and BCB2006

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Andreas\Eigene Dateien\Borland Studio
Projects\Bpl
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
Oh, I don't use the xxx\Borland Studio Projects\bpl directory at all.
But most users do.
anyway, if you give them all suitable suffixes, dclusr90.bpl and
dclusr100.bpl don't conflict.
It's not the .bpl filename. The problem is with the .dcp files which do
not have a suffix:
MyPackage.dpk with {$SUFFIX '10'} compiles to: MyPackage10.bpl and
MyPackage.dcp
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

At 12:37:30, 08.01.2006, Andreas Hausladen wrote:
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Andreas\Eigene Dateien\Borland Studio
Projects\Bpl
Not in my case. All .bpls are set to go to $(BDS)\lib (or $(BCB)\lib, or
$(DELPHI)\lib). One of the first things I set as defaults for any project.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"1001 words say more than one picture" -- Chinese proverb

At 12:41:06, 08.01.2006, Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:

>Oh, I don't use the xxx\Borland Studio Projects\bpl directory at all.

But most users do.
The .bpls should then get a suitable suffix. They should not go to a
shared bpl directory.
MyPackage.dpk with {$SUFFIX '10'} compiles to: MyPackage10.bpl and
MyPackage.dcp
Then make sure they don't land in the same directories. I have source
subdirectories for each of my Borland products:
D:\Source
BDS2006
dotNet
CSharp
<all C# project subdirs>
Delphi
<all Delpi for .NET project subdirs>
Win32
Cpp
<etc...>
Delphi
<etc...>
CBuilder6
<all BCB6 project subdirs>
It is never good to use the same directory for projects of different
products, IMO.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction."

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
It is never good to use the same directory for projects of different
products, IMO.
That was not the case for Delphi 1 to 7. They had all own BPL directories
(even if they were under C:\Program Files"). But Delphi 8, Delphi 2005 and
BDS 2006 share the same location by default.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

At 12:57:24, 08.01.2006, Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:

>It is never good to use the same directory for projects of different
>products, IMO.

That was not the case for Delphi 1 to 7. They had all own BPL
directories (even if they were under C:\Program Files"). But Delphi 8,
Delphi 2005 and BDS 2006 share the same location by default.
Sure, but it is easy to create a project directory of your own, and store
projects there. Something I did since Delphi 2.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
Sure, but it is easy to create a project directory of your own, and store
projects there. Something I did since Delphi 2.
It's no problem for me (I have even removed the "Borland Studio Projects'
folder that the installer forces to exit in the German version where it
directory is called "Borland Studio-Projekte".)
But I know many JVCL users who had this problem with the shared bpl
directory.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

At 13:10:52, 08.01.2006, Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:

>Sure, but it is easy to create a project directory of your own, and
>store projects there. Something I did since Delphi 2.

It's no problem for me (I have even removed the "Borland Studio
Projects' folder that the installer forces to exit in the German
version where it directory is called "Borland Studio-Projekte".)
But I know many JVCL users who had this problem with the shared bpl
directory.
Yeah well, I think anyone calling themselves a programmer should think a
bit about how to organize their projects. <g>
I do use the Borland Studio Projects directory, but only for simple
(often console) test programs, usually to answer a post in these
newsgroups (I usually test code before I post it). Although, in BDS2006
you can finally change the directory from inside the IDE, so I set it to
D:\Source\BDS2006.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"A witty saying proves nothing."

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
At 13:10:52, 08.01.2006, Andreas Hausladen wrote:

>Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
>

>>Sure, but it is easy to create a project directory of your own, and
>>store projects there. Something I did since Delphi 2.
>
>It's no problem for me (I have even removed the "Borland Studio
>Projects' folder that the installer forces to exit in the German
>version where it directory is called "Borland Studio-Projekte".)
>But I know many JVCL users who had this problem with the shared bpl
>directory.

Yeah well, I think anyone calling themselves a programmer should think a
bit about how to organize their projects. <g>
Do you perhaps think that a developer of programming tools ought to do
the same???
David Erbas-White

Re:Using both BCB6 and BCB2006

Thanks for feedbacks.