Should I upgrade BCB 1 to BCB 4?

We are currently using BCB 1.0
So far so good. Everything works.
But just curious to know - Is it worthwhile to upgrade to BCB 4.0??
What are the greatest advantages over BCB 1.0?
How many times BCB 4.0 is faster than BCB 1.0 - both development time
and exe speeds?

How much does BCB 4.0 upgrade costs (professional version)

al

Re:Should I upgrade BCB 1 to BCB 4?

Multiple yes. You can search these forums as the subject has been
discussed many times. The only thing I'd point out is that it's best to
recreate projects anew in BCB4, rather than opening old BCB1 ones.

Alex

--
HotSend - portable documents technology
http://www.hotsend.com/

Re:Should I upgrade BCB 1 to BCB 4?

: Al Dev <alav...@yahoo.com> wrote:

First of all disclaimer: I never used BCB1 seriously (only its cousin
Delphi 2), so take what I say with a grain of salt.

>But just curious to know - Is it worthwhile to upgrade to BCB 4.0??
>What are the greatest advantages over BCB 1.0?

Since you apparently are only interested in the Professional version
of BCB4, I will exclude the benefits of the Enterprise version from
this list:

* Follows the ANSI C++ standard - it is an investment into the
  future.

* An fine de{*word*81} kernel, with Inspector windows where you see all
  members of a class all at once, nicely laid out.

* Customizable code templates. You enter, for example "tc", press
  Ctrl+J and it will be expanded to

     try {

     }
     catch( ) {

     }

  For me this is a MAJOR time-saver. How often have I typed this?!
  Every once in a while I need to go back to older IDEs. Horrific.
  No code templates there.

* CodeInsight - get automatic parameter information for method calls;
  ever wondered what the parameters for ShellExecute were? Type in
    ShellExecute(    and wait (or press Ctrl+Shift+Space). You will
  get the parameters ShellExecute expects.

* CodeInsight - code completion.

* Code navigation features - you click on a variable and end up where
  it has been declared. You click on a type, and get where it has been
  defined.

* Code Explorer and Class Hierarchy windows - see a condensed view
  of what your source code contains and easily add members to existing
  classes.

* Packages (added already in BCB3) - installing a component no longer
  takes ages due to BCB1 compiling the complete component library;
  only the one affected package is being rebuilt.

* VCL 4.0 - much enhanced. Many more Win32 controls wrapped. Many
  useful properties such as Constraints and Anchors allow you to
  visually edit what you previously had to code by hand laboriously.

* Enhanced database wrapper - an abstract layer has been introduced
  allowing for more pluggability of custom solutions.

* Windows NT Service wizards - and easily wrapped in VCL classes.

* Probably a couple of things I have forgotten - please check the
  web site at http://www.borland.com/

BCB4 is not free of issues:

* Probably a higher memory footprint; the (unreliable) NT task manager
  claims that BCB4 requires about 17 MB of virtual memory to start up

* To use CodeInsight properly, you will want to have a reasonably fast
  processor.

>How many times BCB 4.0 is faster than BCB 1.0 - both development time
>and exe speeds?

EXE speed - probably not any faster.

Development time - listed above as part of benefits. I would not want
to be without these features any more. I have been much more
productive in the recent incarnations of the IDE compared to the old
IDEs.

Al, I may appear overly enthusiastic, in particular about the
CodeInsight features. I was sceptical, too, when I first used them (in
Delphi 4, then later in BCB4). Once you have adopted them in your
usage pattern, you will not want to miss them.

Obviously BCB4 is not the best thing since the invention of sliced
bread, but it comes close ;-)

You may want to read this group and the .language group a bit in order
to learn about the problems people have upgrading. Surprisingly, there
have only been relatively few problems, although some of them are
severe. Each of these problems appears to have an easy work-around,
though.

>How much does BCB 4.0 upgrade costs (professional version)

Please have a look at the Borland.com web site at
http://www.borland.com/ - should be around USD 249, but I may be
wrong. Please verify this.

I believe on the web site you will also find a link where you can get
hold of a trial version, through C++ Report magazine, IIRC. Try it. In
my humble opinion BCB4 sells itself (why do make such of a fuss of it
then?). Please note that the trial protection scheme appears to
introduce some artefacts resulting in bugs/problems which are limited
to the *trial* edition.

Phew. Done with the sales talk. And I even believe in what I have
written ;-)

--
Stefan Hoffmeister      http://www.econos.de/
Due to time constraints I cannot give free face-to-face advice.

Re:Should I upgrade BCB 1 to BCB 4?

Hello All,

Al Dev <alav...@yahoo.com> schreef in artikel
<36FBF703.770DF...@yahoo.com>...

> We are currently using BCB 1.0
> So far so good. Everything works.
> But just curious to know - Is it worthwhile to upgrade to BCB 4.0??

Well, having just received BCB4 prof. last friday, I can't give you real
indepth information at this point, but first impressions, coming from a
BCB1 standard edition is in one word, wow...<g>

> What are the greatest advantages over BCB 1.0?

Again at first glance, many more properties for the known components, that
let you tailor your application and their behaviour to your demands even
more. (expect some studying to take full advantage of them).

> How many times BCB 4.0 is faster than BCB 1.0 - both development time
> and exe speeds?

Hmm, speed while develloping is probably highly dependant on the system
you're using. I for one will probably invest in some Ram since my humble
32Mb does indeed trigger a lot of disk swapping when doing a run. Compiling
and Linking is quite fast though. Also the de{*word*81} steps a lot faster
through the code then what I experienced with BCB1.
The differences in speed of the produced executables is probably
neglectable, allthough you seem to have the opportunity to optimise for
certain processor types like in the old days of Turbo C++...;-))

> How much does BCB 4.0 upgrade costs (professional version)

Hmm, if you're a registered user you'll probably get an offer from Inprise
by letter, otherwise I wouldn't know.

--
Greetings from sunny Amsterdam

                Jan

email: bijs...@worldonline.nl
http://home.worldonline.nl/~bijster

Re:Should I upgrade BCB 1 to BCB 4?

Visit http://shop.borland.com/shop/catdtl/0,1063,100,00.html for pricing
information.

Anduin Withers
borland.com

Al Dev wrote:

> We are currently using BCB 1.0
> So far so good. Everything works.
> But just curious to know - Is it worthwhile to upgrade to BCB 4.0??
> What are the greatest advantages over BCB 1.0?
> How many times BCB 4.0 is faster than BCB 1.0 - both development time
> and exe speeds?

> How much does BCB 4.0 upgrade costs (professional version)

> al

Other Threads