'Final Output' directory problem

Hi,

I am having a problem with the Final Output directory in my project.  I
have the executable placed in a directory below the project source
directory.  However the IDE takes it upon itself to change the directory
based on where the last file was opened.  So the next time I try to
build the project the directory is invalid.  It is a annoyance.  Does
anyone have a work-around?  I could always go back to putting the exe in
the source directory.
Thanks in advance

John Clark

Re:'Final Output' directory problem

John,

What are you putting in the Final Output edit box?  I created a temp project
and placed the source in "C:\Test".  I created a subdirectory "C:\Test\Exe".
Then, I modified the project's Final Output path to be ".\Exe".  I have
compiled, saved, closed, and reopened three times and the path is still
".\Exe" and the executable still shows up correctly there.  Are you doing
something different than this?

- Clayton

Re:'Final Output' directory problem

This was a bug in BCB4 that was fixed in BCB5. I'm assuming your using 4?
The IDE will always change your paths to be relative and it usually messes
them up. However, if your path is on another drive, the IDE will leave it
alone. So, the workaround is to map a drive letter and use it specify your
paths as fully qualified. Add this to your autoexec (Win9x, not sure how to
do it on NT):

subst w: c:\winapps

Then if your path is c:\winapps\fred\bin, change it to w:\fred\bin.

    - Bill

Bill Zitomer
R.I. Soft Systems - http://www.risoftsystems.com
ScreenSaver.com - http://www.screensaver.com
Screen Greetings - http://www.screengreetings.com
Virus Myths - http://www.vmyths.com

"John Clark" <cla...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> Hi,

> I am having a problem with the Final Output directory in my project.  I
> have the executable placed in a directory below the project source
> directory.  However the IDE takes it upon itself to change the directory
> based on where the last file was opened.  So the next time I try to
> build the project the directory is invalid.  It is a annoyance.  Does
> anyone have a work-around?  I could always go back to putting the exe in
> the source directory.

> Thanks in advance

> John Clark

Re:'Final Output' directory problem

Try to use the UNC path for final output:
e.g.: \\PC58\C\Test instead of C:\Test
> I am having a problem with the Final Output directory in my project.  I
> have the executable placed in a directory below the project source
> directory.  However the IDE takes it upon itself to change the directory
> based on where the last file was opened.  So the next time I try to
> build the project the directory is invalid.  It is a annoyance.  Does
> anyone have a work-around?  I could always go back to putting the exe in
> the source directory.

Re:'Final Output' directory problem

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Bill Zitomer wrote:
> This was a bug in BCB4 that was fixed in BCB5. I'm assuming your using 4?
> The IDE will always change your paths to be relative and it usually messes
> them up. However, if your path is on another drive, the IDE will leave it
> alone. So, the workaround is to map a drive letter and use it specify your
> paths as fully qualified. Add this to your autoexec (Win9x, not sure how to
> do it on NT):

> subst w: c:\winapps

> Then if your path is c:\winapps\fred\bin, change it to w:\fred\bin.

>     - Bill

> --
> Bill Zitomer
> R.I. Soft Systems - http://www.risoftsystems.com
> ScreenSaver.com - http://www.screensaver.com
> Screen Greetings - http://www.screengreetings.com
> Virus Myths - http://www.vmyths.com

> "John Clark" <cla...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,

> > I am having a problem with the Final Output directory in my project.  I
> > have the executable placed in a directory below the project source
> > directory.  However the IDE takes it upon itself to change the directory
> > based on where the last file was opened.  So the next time I try to
> > build the project the directory is invalid.  It is a annoyance.  Does
> > anyone have a work-around?  I could always go back to putting the exe in
> > the source directory.

> > Thanks in advance

> > John Clark

Re:'Final Output' directory problem

Actually, the bug still exists in BCB5, or at least one a lot like it.  The
IDE always wants to change "Final output" directories to relative paths, and
always wants to change "BPI/LIB output" directories to absolute.  I just
want the IDE to leave these fields alone.  If I put an absolute path, I want
it to stay absolute.  If I put a relative path, I want it to stay relative.
I know it is trying to be helpful and intelligent, but it just messes things
up.

- Dennis

"Bill Zitomer" <bzito...@risoftsystems.com> wrote in message

> This was a bug in BCB4 that was fixed in BCB5. I'm assuming your using 4?
> The IDE will always change your paths to be relative and it usually messes
> them up. However, if your path is on another drive, the IDE will leave it
> alone. So, the workaround is to map a drive letter and use it specify your
> paths as fully qualified. Add this to your autoexec (Win9x, not sure how
> do it on NT):

> subst w: c:\winapps

> Then if your path is c:\winapps\fred\bin, change it to w:\fred\bin.

>     - Bill

> --
> Bill Zitomer
> R.I. Soft Systems - http://www.risoftsystems.com
> ScreenSaver.com - http://www.screensaver.com
> Screen Greetings - http://www.screengreetings.com
> Virus Myths - http://www.vmyths.com

> "John Clark" <cla...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,

> > I am having a problem with the Final Output directory in my project.  I
> > have the executable placed in a directory below the project source
> > directory.  However the IDE takes it upon itself to change the directory
> > based on where the last file was opened.  So the next time I try to
> > build the project the directory is invalid.  It is a annoyance.  Does
> > anyone have a work-around?  I could always go back to putting the exe in
> > the source directory.

> > Thanks in advance

> > John Clark

Other Threads