Moving BCB 3.0 Automation to BCB 4.0 .What a dirty trick to play on someone

I had a fully functioning Automation in a DLL compiling and working under
BCB 3.0. I constructed the Automation DLL under BCB 3.0 by first using the
ActiveX Library wizard followed by the using the Automation Object Wizard.
Everything working great until I upgraded to BCB 4.0. After the upgraded I
tried to rebuild the source code with BCB 4.0. I failed! The BCB 4.0 was
{*word*89} on the BCB 3.0 wizard generated code. To make matters worse it was
now complaining that something was wrong with the type library that was
created by  BCB 3.0. So! I re-entered about a total 50 function and
properties (that works out to be about 80 C++ methods) under BCB 4.0 type
library system. When I hit refresh, the shell for the methods that were
generated had flaws. For some reason some C++ function were missing the
usual try catch block some member function and properties. in fact, some of
the functions were incorrectly generated in that they did not have the
minimal "return S_OK".

I noticed that for Automation DLL with small interfaces the problem did not
occur. This problem seems to only occur when you have lots of functions,
properties and enumeration's defined using the type library and you hit
refresh.

To make a long story short I am now back BCB 3.0. BCB 4.0 is now history
until we feel that it is a stable product. Does anyone have similar problems
moving ActiveX code generated by BCB 3.0 to BCB 4.0? and how have you solved
the problem?

I have not reported the problem to INPRISE yet, since I am hoping that I
just over looked something in moving code from BCB3.0 to BCB 4.0

Michael

Re:Moving BCB 3.0 Automation to BCB 4.0 .What a dirty trick to play on someone

Hi,
I moved 6 large automation objects from BCB3 to BCB4 in about 2hrs, its
important to read readme.txt in the CBuilder4 directory, which has a section:-
Upgrading C++Builder 3 COM Server Projects

When I had done that, I had to go through my code and change TVARIANT_BOOL to
TOLEBOOL and VARIANT to TVariant. And then everything built ok.

cheers,
John