Sudden appearance of linker error

(Linker Fatal Error) Fatal: Failed to create map file... (error code 0)
I started getting this error on compiles of all programs.  Same programs
compiled yesterday just fine.  What is going on?  I have 2 gigabytes of
free space on the drive where this is happening.  I also have nearly 2
gig free on the main drive where Win95 and C++Builder are installed.

Thanks,
Jon

Re:Sudden appearance of linker error

Jon Jacobs  <jqjac...@gte.net> wrote:

>(Linker Fatal Error) Fatal: Failed to create map file... (error code 0)
>I started getting this error on compiles of all programs.  Same programs
>compiled yesterday just fine.  What is going on?  I have 2 gigabytes of

I can't over any advice; only commiseration. This started happening to me
a month ago and I've only been able to develop under NT since.

--
Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. ljw1...@cam.ac.uk

Re:Sudden appearance of linker error

Have you guys tried to delete all the compiler/linker generated files?  Try
copying all the project source files to a clean directory and rebuild-all
there.  Cleaning all the trash out of the directory helped me the time I
got that error.

    Kevin

L.J. Wischik <ljw1...@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote in article
<663kfd$...@forums.borland.com>...

Kevin J. Lang <kjl...@spambasket.gcs-server.jsc.nasa.gov> wrote:

>Have you guys tried to delete all the compiler/linker generated files?  Try
>copying all the project source files to a clean directory and rebuild-all
>there.  Cleaning all the trash out of the directory helped me the time I
>got that error.

Yes. I wiped BCB from the hard disk, removed its registry entry with
regedit, copied the image from the CD-ROM, did File|NewApplication in an
entirely new directory, and go the 'unable to create link file' error.

--
Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. ljw1...@cam.ac.uk

Re:Sudden appearance of linker error

This is a misleading error message that has to do with the Win95 failure to
create a memory-mapped file. A while ago a Borlander posted steps to eliminate
the problem, but I don't remember them :(. Try turning on/off incremental
linker, increasing virtual memory, closing other running apps - that it ! Just
remembered - try closing all other apps that are running.

Alex

L.J. Wischik wrote:

> Kevin J. Lang <kjl...@spambasket.gcs-server.jsc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> >Have you guys tried to delete all the compiler/linker generated files?  Try
> >copying all the project source files to a clean directory and rebuild-all
> >there.  Cleaning all the trash out of the directory helped me the time I
> >got that error.

> Yes. I wiped BCB from the hard disk, removed its registry entry with
> regedit, copied the image from the CD-ROM, did File|NewApplication in an
> entirely new directory, and go the 'unable to create link file' error.

> --
> Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. ljw1...@cam.ac.uk

--
Alex
remove SP_ _AM to mail me

Re:Sudden appearance of linker error

>Kevin J. Lang <kjl...@spambasket.gcs-server.jsc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>Have you guys tried to delete ....

>L.J. Wischik wrote in message <6641ap$...@forums.borland.com>...
>Yes. I wiped BCB from the hard disk, removed its registry entry ...

I posted this in one of the borland groups a few days ago.  This is a common
Win95 problem, not a BCB problem.(Image that, WIN95 has a bug)  Perform a
safe boot, shut down, restart, and everything should work.  It happens to me
about once a month.  When it does a safe boot takes over 5 minutes (on a 200
Pro with 128 meg of ram) and sometimes fails.  When it does you have to
restore a good registry backup, shut down, restart in safe mode again and
then shut down and go again.  I use NT at work and never have this problem.
For some reason WIN95 sometimes looses track of where the registry files are
and fails to read portions of them.  The WIN95 Resources Kit has a cryptic
statement in it about this, something to the effect that a safe boot clears
courrepted device drivers and resorts the registry, what ever that garbage
means.  You might also try a program called CleanX available from the
Borland Web sight.  It proports to do great things but since I got it I
haven't had the problem, but I'm sure I will.  When I do I will let you
know.  There are some advantages to being a MSCE.

Re:Sudden appearance of linker error

> I can't over any advice; only commiseration. This started happening to me
> a month ago and I've only been able to develop under NT since.

Wow!  Bad news indeed.  I do not have access to NT.
Jon

Other Threads