Cannot import controls?

Hi, all.

I'm trying to do some programming in BCB 3 and/or 4 to interact with
Peachtree Office Accounting, which publishes an interface via ActiveX.

It appears to me that it should be a simple matter of selecting the
Peachtree Business Objects in the list under Component/Import ActiveX
Control and it should appear on the pallette.

Except it isn't on the list.

VBA (with Excel) sees it; I can see it in regedit. BCB doesn't see it;
when I try to "add" ptoffice.exe, which is what VBA shows as being the
file containing the control (so far as I can tell; I don't really know
VBA that well) BCB gives a message box with the message "The OLE control
does not support self-registration."

I've been searching the web for an answer to this and am coming up dry.
I'll certainly appreciate any suggestions; if you can CC me via email
any posted responses, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Walt

Re:Cannot import controls?

In article <37BCACDE.C7DE2...@worldnet.att.net>,
Walt Dexter  <wdex...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

From the commandline, try tlibimp -P- -C+ [foo.ocx] where foo.ocx is the
control you wish to import. This should generate the same files thatr
would be generated if you could do it int he IDE, and you can add them to
a package and register as a component.

>VBA (with Excel) sees it; I can see it in regedit. BCB doesn't see it;

BCB makes certain assumptions about the way controls are registered
which turn out to be overly optimistic. (I don't remember what they were:
something about assuming that the version number of the control in one
part of the registry exactly matches the version number of the control in
another part of the registry --- it doesn't do a best fit match if the
version numbers don't match exactly. That changed in D5, but for the meantime,
the command line tool is the best workaround.)

--
Caminante, son tus huellas el camino, y nada mas;
caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar ...

Re:Cannot import controls?

That seems to have done the trick - at least, it creates some rather
huge files that look likely to work. Thanks so much!

Oh, and Borland - how about fixing this?

Best,
Walt

aphr...@magescave.blackforest.org wrote:

> In article <37BCACDE.C7DE2...@worldnet.att.net>,
> Walt Dexter  <wdex...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> From the commandline, try tlibimp -P- -C+ [foo.ocx] where foo.ocx is the
> control you wish to import. This should generate the same files thatr
> would be generated if you could do it int he IDE, and you can add them to
> a package and register as a component.

> >VBA (with Excel) sees it; I can see it in regedit. BCB doesn't see it;

> BCB makes certain assumptions about the way controls are registered
> which turn out to be overly optimistic. (I don't remember what they were:
> something about assuming that the version number of the control in one
> part of the registry exactly matches the version number of the control in
> another part of the registry --- it doesn't do a best fit match if the
> version numbers don't match exactly. That changed in D5, but for the meantime,
> the command line tool is the best workaround.)

> >when I try to "add" ptoffice.exe, which is what VBA shows as being the
> >file containing the control (so far as I can tell; I don't really know
> >VBA that well) BCB gives a message box with the message "The OLE control
> >does not support self-registration."

> >I've been searching the web for an answer to this and am coming up dry.
> >I'll certainly appreciate any suggestions; if you can CC me via email
> >any posted responses, I'd sure appreciate it.

> >Thanks,
> >Walt

> --
> Caminante, son tus huellas el camino, y nada mas;
> caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar ...
> Caminante, no hay camino, sino estelas en el mar.

Other Threads