Converting 16-bit BCPP app to 32-bit C++Builder app

I have an application that was written as a 16-bit Windows application
using Borland C++ 4.52 and OWL.  I am thinking of using C++ Builder to
convert it to 32-bits.  How successful can I expect to be?  Sales
documentation seems to indicate that the conversion accommodates
handling 16-bit VBX's and DLL's within the new 32-bit code.  Are there
any "gotchas" to be aware of?  Are the origninal 16-bit VBX's still
used, or are their 32-bit counterparts substituted instead?  How about
the OWL classes -- are they also changed to work in the 32-bit model?
Are there any other tricks or limitations that I need to be aware of?

Thanks, in advance.

--
Kim Skimmons <kims...@idrama.com>
Interactive Drama Inc.

Re:Converting 16-bit BCPP app to 32-bit C++Builder app

You have three choices here:
a) Use BC 5.02 which comes with BCB3 (if you request it [sometimes]) and
rebuild your app as a 16bit/32bit app (5.02 does both (almost)
transparently.
There are some differences between 4.5x and 5.02 but it's not too bad.
This has the added advantage that you can keep your app going as 16bit AND
32bit. (I've done this and it works very well)

b) Port your complete app to builder. If your app is simple, then this won't
be too bad. You may keep your OWL classes but this will still require
porting your app to OWL 5.3 as in (a) above. This process will probably take
longer than (a) above as several users have noticed problems porting OWL
apps to builder.

For existing apps (especially if you want 16bit/32bit versions) I recommend
(a).
For new apps I recommend using builder - it's a much faster development
environment and easier to produce great code with a better UI.

Rgds Pete

>> remove nospam to get real e-mail address <<

Project Leader:Digital Live Sound, Soundcraft Electronics
Home: pete.fra...@frasersoft.clara.n.o.s.p.a.m.net
Work: pete.fra...@soundcraft.nospam.com
WWW: http://home.clara.net/frasersoft
Kim Skimmons wrote in message <3634AC2B.E1F4A...@idrama.com>...
>I have an application that was written as a 16-bit Windows application
>using Borland C++ 4.52 and OWL.  I am thinking of using C++ Builder to
>convert it to 32-bits.  How successful can I expect to be?  Sales
>documentation seems to indicate that the conversion accommodates
>handling 16-bit VBX's and DLL's within the new 32-bit code.  Are there
>any "gotchas" to be aware of?  Are the origninal 16-bit VBX's still
>used, or are their 32-bit counterparts substituted instead?  How about
>the OWL classes -- are they also changed to work in the 32-bit model?
>Are there any other tricks or limitations that I need to be aware of?

>Thanks, in advance.

>--
>Kim Skimmons <kims...@idrama.com>
>Interactive Drama Inc.