TSNMSMTP error "NULL remote address"

Hi,
    I am trying to use the smtp internet component (cbuilder4) to send
email.  I get a "NULL Remote Address" error, as soon as the program
reaches any TNMSMTP method. For example a call to :

SMTP1->Port->25;

causes the error.
Also, the example that came with CB4 for smtp will not compile (26
errors), so it sounds like I'm missing something. Or I have a
misconfiguration.

    I am connected to the internet via ADSL (verizon).
    I have set and confirmed (pinged) my smtp host.
    I have confirmed the port is correct (telnet to host:25)
    I have verified my account userid is valid on smtp host (telnet to
host and run verify command).
   I have no problem getting out w/ other applications (Web, ftp,
telnet...).

If I understand the process correctly, during the authentication
process, the smtp server should send back its remote ip address to my
client application.  But, the program isn't even getting that far.

I am having a difficult time finding any resources to point me in the
right direction.  I've been stuck at this point for about two weeks, so
any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
sean