Some help on pre-compiled headers please...

Hello,

I was having problems with my project not reflecting the recent changes.

I tracked my problem down to using cached pre-compiled headers.

Early on I was foolishly putting things into the pch that should not be there.

I have since told my projects not to use pre-compiled headers until I can
straighten them out.

I was tracing through code the other day, and it was WAY SLOW, especially in
regard to my custom VCL objects.

Is this slowness possibly due to not using pch?  Am I parsing all of my code
when commands execute?

Lastly,

How can I clean my pch up?

I have deleted them from my hard drive.  Do I need to rebuild all code without
pre-compiled headers, then rebuild again using them (and caching them) to get
"everyone" back on the same page?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Dave!
--
Dave Richardson
University of Maryland

Re:Some help on pre-compiled headers please...

Dave Richardson <d...@glue.umd.edu> writes:
> How can I clean my pch up?
> I have deleted them from my hard drive.  Do I need to rebuild all
> code without pre-compiled headers, then rebuild again using them
> (and caching them) to get "everyone" back on the same page?

The best place to start would be the "famous" article on precompiled
headers, by Harold Howe.  (www.bcbdev.com)

Deleting the file will only be a temporary "fix", as a project that
uses precompiled headers incorrectly will suffer bloat and degraded
build times.  (Though it shouldn't affect runtimes.)

--
Chris(TeamB);

Re:Some help on pre-compiled headers please...

> I was tracing through code the other day, and it was WAY SLOW, especially in
> regard to my custom VCL objects.

> Is this slowness possibly due to not using pch?  Am I parsing all of my code
> when commands execute?

I'm not sure what relationship exists between debugging and PCH use. I would think
that the two are not related (ie I don't think pch use makes debugging faster). I
could be wrong though.

In my experience, the de{*word*81} slows down when I have too many breakpoints and
watches.

> How can I clean my pch up?

To turn off pch use, use the -H- flag (or check the right box in the IDE). Delete
your csm files and any #0? files lying around.

> I have deleted them from my hard drive.  Do I need to rebuild all code without
> pre-compiled headers, then rebuild again using them (and caching them) to get
> "everyone" back on the same page?

I don't think a rebuild is necessary. Unless you see something strange.

Harold Howe [TeamB]
http://www.bcbdev.com

Other Threads