automating Word 95 and Word 97

Using BCB4, I have managed to automate Word 95, to paste some text in the
current document, with the commands:
    Variant V=Variant::CreateObject("Word.Basic");
    V.Exec(Function("EditPaste"));
However, since the users of the program could have either Word 95 or Word
97, I thought to also put in the equivalent command for VBA; that is, if
"EditPaste" raises an exception, to attempt also
    V.Exec(Function("Selection.Range.Paste"));
that should be the equivalent in Word 97. However, testing it on a computer
with Word 97 it never works, it always generates an error.

What should I do differently to automate Word 97 that I haven't done to
automate Word 95?

--

Richard Wilson
richardwil...@bigfoot.com