Debugging a BCB 1.0 Exe and DLL's and a VC6 DLL

Has anybody done debugging and tracing of an application that has this
flavor? Could you give me some tips on how to trace into the VC6 DLL
from the BCB EXE?

Thanks,

Gani

Re:Debugging a BCB 1.0 Exe and DLL's and a VC6 DLL

Gani,
To my mind the two tools use different debug informations so I see no way
using BCB1 to debug the VC6 DLL. Nevertheless I could imagine a way for
tracing the behaviour of your VC6 DLL:

I assume that you own both development environments. Put a DebugBreak()
statement in your VC++ DLL - that will cause to enter Developer studio if it
can be found on your PC (don't get scared by the message box that looks
similar to a GPF message box)
I would suggest that you debug the program using BCB 1 - if you get to the
debug break Visual studio will open and you can do debugging there.

Another possibility would be -if you just want to debug the VC6 stuff- to
load the DLL project in visual studio, specify the break points. Furthermore
set the BCB generated EXE as the "executable for debug session". Then you
can use the "go" command that will launch the EXE. If one of the breakpoints
is passed you will enter VC6 where you can do debugging.

If the VC6 DLL is native WIndows SDK code you could also try to build it
using BCB and  then do debugging in just one IDE.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

    Alexander

Gani Cortez <Gani_Cor...@troweprice.com> wrote in message

> Has anybody done debugging and tracing of an application that has this
> flavor? Could you give me some tips on how to trace into the VC6 DLL
> from the BCB EXE?

> Thanks,

> Gani

Re:Debugging a BCB 1.0 Exe and DLL's and a VC6 DLL

: Gani Cortez <Gani_Cor...@troweprice.com> wrote:

Gani, please always write a complete text into the message body; it is a
pain to refer to the subject. Thanks.

>Has anybody done debugging and tracing of an application that has this
>flavor?

No, but:

>Could you give me some tips on how to trace into the VC6 DLL
>from the BCB EXE?

You can do it with the CPU Window (which BCB1 may or may not have) at raw
assembler level.

Apart from that, you cannot source-code debug across these different PE
modules, since each compiler has its own format for the debug information.
The best you can get is to debug each module on its own.