Base form on derived class?

Using BCB3, I'd like to be able to define new forms based upon classes I've
created, which are derived from TForm.  Is there any way to do this directly in
the IDE?  Will I create future IDE problems if I modify the code it created to
modify the parent class, etc.?

Dave Morgenlender
e-mail: dmor...@alum.mit.edu

Re:Base form on derived class?

I am also looking for a written doc or guide on how to extend the
designer, and see my own form's properties in the object inspector.

I did manage to find a BCB.dro file in  the $(BCB)\BIN  directory,
which allows me to manually add my form to the "New"->"Form" page ,
and thereby allow inheritance from it, but - it is still not used like
TForm is used by the IDE.

Any help on finding such documentation will be very helpfull.

Michael Kupferman
Teleknowledge group

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:51:40 GMT, dmor...@alum.mit.edu (David

Morgenlender) wrote:
>Using BCB3, I'd like to be able to define new forms based upon classes I've
>created, which are derived from TForm.  Is there any way to do this directly in
>the IDE?  Will I create future IDE problems if I modify the code it created to
>modify the parent class, etc.?

>Dave Morgenlender
>e-mail: dmor...@alum.mit.edu

Re:Base form on derived class?

Hi, David.

I haven't done this in BCB3, but in BCB 1 it's not that hard. Put your
form in the repository and inherit from it. Changes to the base form get
inherited.

Have a look at my article:

        http://www.geocities.com/~mcashman/workshop/cbuilder/inherit.htm

If you end up inheriting an entire app with forms and data modules, let
me know. There is one thing which hasn't yet made it into that page
which can prevent your having problems with the linkages between those.

--
------
Mark Cashman, creator of The Temp{*word*203}Doorway at

Other Threads