IDE hangs after splash

I scanned thru the group, and didn't find anything related (but may
have missed something).

I'm running NT 4.0 SP3 with C++ Builder Professional; today when I
tried to start up the IDE, it hangs after painting the splash.  NT task
manager claims the app "isn't responding", and I'm left with the hour
glass when the app is active.  The BCB.EXE process isn't consuming
CPU once it hangs.

I had the same problem from time to time with the trial version, and
was able to work-around the problem by re-installing.  I'd rather not
get into the habit of re-installing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
--Scott

Re:IDE hangs after splash

>>I'm running NT 4.0 SP3 with C++ Builder Professional; today when I

tried to start up the IDE, it hangs after painting the splash.  NT
task manager claims the app "isn't responding"

This won't help, but I'm using BCB under NT 4, SP3 and have never seen
that problem.

Kent (TeamB & TurboPower Software)
----------------------------------
C++Builder Solutions Web Page: http://www.turbopower.com/bcb
BC++ 5.0 FAQ Web Page: http://www.turbopower.com/bcpp
TurboPower Web Site: http://www.turbopower.com

Re:IDE hangs after splash

86 the splash screen using the switch -ns. Not that that is the
problem but it will eliminate a possibilty.

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:32:03 -0800, Scott Wattum

<wat...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>I scanned thru the group, and didn't find anything related (but may
>have missed something).

>I'm running NT 4.0 SP3 with C++ Builder Professional; today when I
>tried to start up the IDE, it hangs after painting the splash.  NT task
>manager claims the app "isn't responding", and I'm left with the hour
>glass when the app is active.  The BCB.EXE process isn't consuming
>CPU once it hangs.

>I had the same problem from time to time with the trial version, and
>was able to work-around the problem by re-installing.  I'd rather not
>get into the habit of re-installing.

>Any thoughts or suggestions?

>Thanks,
>--Scott

Re:IDE hangs after splash

I've done some more "testing" - this appears to be a near boot time
problem.  That is, it only happens after I reboot - eventually the
problem disappears.  I suspect that the IDE is trying to access some
resource (?) that someone else has locked; I've been having a problem
with the computer browser service locking my network database for a
period of time after boot; eventually the service fails to start (for a
still unknown reason), and the network database is unlocked - it's
possible this same service has locked something else that the IDE needs.

The re-instal workaround was probably simply taking me outside of the
time window.

--Scott

Other Threads