recompiling a file again and again

Hi, I have posted this question once as: autorebuilding a file that is
not changed.

But I have not solved the problem. I have 1 file that is getting
compiled everytime again and the project has to link again. So if I
debug my app, quit the app and set a bunch of breakpoints, not
changing code than still this file is compiled and the project linked
when I want to run it, taking up a lot of my time.

I have copied this file to a new project, this project has no problem.
I have added the file (without copying) to a new project, no problem.
I use the file in several projects, no problem.
I use the file in my major project, major problem.

So I quess I have some setting wrongly, or maybe it has to do with
precompiled headers or ????

Can anyone help me out here? What I really would like is a utility
that tells me what files would be compiled and why they would. Maybe
there is something like Make -n option (i believe, i don't use Make).
Or maybe I can use a makefile to pre-examine my project.

Any ideas??

Wim

Re:recompiling a file again and again

I have converted my bpr to mak file with bpr2mak. Then using
MAKE -n -f.... will not compile the file but within the IDE the file
is compiled. Probably has something to do with the IDE, but what??

Wim

Wim Bekker <wim@#NOSPAM#divirec.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
3b39a6dc_2@dnews...

> Hi, I have posted this question once as: autorebuilding a file that
is
> not changed.

> But I have not solved the problem. I have 1 file that is getting
> compiled everytime again and the project has to link again. So if I
> debug my app, quit the app and set a bunch of breakpoints, not
> changing code than still this file is compiled and the project
linked
> when I want to run it, taking up a lot of my time.

> I have copied this file to a new project, this project has no
problem.
> I have added the file (without copying) to a new project, no
problem.
> I use the file in several projects, no problem.
> I use the file in my major project, major problem.

> So I quess I have some setting wrongly, or maybe it has to do with
> precompiled headers or ????

> Can anyone help me out here? What I really would like is a utility
> that tells me what files would be compiled and why they would. Maybe
> there is something like Make -n option (i believe, i don't use
Make).
> Or maybe I can use a makefile to pre-examine my project.

> Any ideas??

> Wim

Re:recompiling a file again and again

Hi;
I had this happen to me and what I found was that the dates for 'created',
'modified' and 'accessed' for that file were wonky. Drove BCB nuts!
Check the FILE|PROPERTIES for the offending file. Scandisk -I recall- found
the problem.

Drew.

Re:recompiling a file again and again

I will try this but I believe my problem has to do with assembler
lines in the cpp file. When I remove all asm statements and the pragma
inline everything works fine. Note that exaclty the same file at the
same location in another project gives no problem :o

Wim

D.F.S. <d...@none.none> schreef in berichtnieuws 3b3a7a92$1_1@dnews...

Wim Bekker wrote:

> I will try this but I believe my problem has to do with assembler
> lines in the cpp file. When I remove all asm statements and the pragma
> inline everything works fine. Note that exaclty the same file at the
> same location in another project gives no problem :o

Maybe check that project's dir for an .ASM file (check time
and date of it)? Also, do you specify any intermediate output
directory for the project where the make fails? Also, did
you ever add -B or -S switches (to compile via assembley
or generate assembly)?

--Craig

Re:recompiling a file again and again

> Maybe check that project's dir for an .ASM file (check time
> and date of it)? Also, do you specify any intermediate output
> directory for the project where the make fails? Also, did
> you ever add -B or -S switches (to compile via assembley
> or generate assembly)?

I will check for all associated ASM file's and delete them all, at
least one is there somewhere because the compiler compiles via
assembly because asm statements.
I do have a intermediate output directory for the project that fails.
I will try in the project that didn't fail to use the same
intermediate output directory.
No, I did not use -B or -S switches. I believe the compiler compile
via assembly as soon as it encounters asm statements or as the file
has a pragma inline, which my file has.

Wim.

Craig Farrell <cNO_SPAM.please.farr...@insprise.com> schreef in
berichtnieuws 3B3B7071.A91F8...@insprise.com...

> Hi,

> Wim Bekker wrote:

> > I will try this but I believe my problem has to do with assembler
> > lines in the cpp file. When I remove all asm statements and the
pragma
> > inline everything works fine. Note that exaclty the same file at
the
> > same location in another project gives no problem :o

> Maybe check that project's dir for an .ASM file (check time
> and date of it)? Also, do you specify any intermediate output
> directory for the project where the make fails? Also, did
> you ever add -B or -S switches (to compile via assembley
> or generate assembly)?

> --Craig

Re:recompiling a file again and again

No luck yet whatsoever ;()

Wim Bekker <wim@#NOSPAM#divirec.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
3b403a96_1@dnews...

> > Maybe check that project's dir for an .ASM file (check time
> > and date of it)? Also, do you specify any intermediate output
> > directory for the project where the make fails? Also, did
> > you ever add -B or -S switches (to compile via assembley
> > or generate assembly)?

> I will check for all associated ASM file's and delete them all, at
> least one is there somewhere because the compiler compiles via
> assembly because asm statements.
> I do have a intermediate output directory for the project that
fails.
> I will try in the project that didn't fail to use the same
> intermediate output directory.
> No, I did not use -B or -S switches. I believe the compiler compile
> via assembly as soon as it encounters asm statements or as the file
> has a pragma inline, which my file has.

> Wim.

> Craig Farrell <cNO_SPAM.please.farr...@insprise.com> schreef in
> berichtnieuws 3B3B7071.A91F8...@insprise.com...
> > Hi,

> > Wim Bekker wrote:

> > > I will try this but I believe my problem has to do with
assembler
> > > lines in the cpp file. When I remove all asm statements and the
> pragma
> > > inline everything works fine. Note that exaclty the same file at
> the
> > > same location in another project gives no problem :o

> > Maybe check that project's dir for an .ASM file (check time
> > and date of it)? Also, do you specify any intermediate output
> > directory for the project where the make fails? Also, did
> > you ever add -B or -S switches (to compile via assembley
> > or generate assembly)?

> > --Craig

Other Threads