Builder 5 no more .bpr (make) files?

Why did Borland go and do something stupid like take away makefiles and
replace them
with this XML {*word*99}? Is it possible to override this "feature". I am not
trying to publish my makefile
on the world wide web or export it prettyfied to numerous word
processors.
I would however like to be able to schedule unattended builds that run
overnight.To do this I need makefiles.
I know they included a BPR2MAK.EXE program but that does not help. If I
have to explicitly run this program
to sync up my project with my makefile, the makefile will always trail
the project. My automated builds will fail
to build the latest version of the code.

I would really like to use Builder 5 but this is a *major* impediment.
What possible justification is there for such
a bozo move. Are they seeking to make Borland developers more like
micro-wheenies. I have nothing against
IDE development, I love working in the IDE doing RAD development.
However I also like using the command line
there are times when the IDE is overkill. Plus there is no way to
schedule automated builds from the IDE.

Re:Builder 5 no more .bpr (make) files?

Frank Gleeson wrote:

> Why did Borland go and do something stupid like take away makefiles and
> replace them
> with this XML {*word*99}? Is it possible to override this "feature". I am not
> trying to publish my makefile
> on the world wide web or export it prettyfied to numerous word
> processors.

Right click on the project and select Export Makefile.

> I would however like to be able to schedule unattended builds that run
> overnight.To do this I need makefiles.
> I know they included a BPR2MAK.EXE program but that does not help. If I
> have to explicitly run this program
> to sync up my project with my makefile, the makefile will always trail
> the project. My automated builds will fail
> to build the latest version of the code.

Borland gave you a way to create a make file for the current project settings.
XML gives Borland a lot more power to extend the Project manager in ways people
have been asking for.

Why don't you write your scheduling script to just call bpr2mak and then make
the resulting makefile.  One extra line per project.

> I would really like to use Builder 5 but this is a *major* impediment.
> What possible justification is there for such
> a bozo move.

Please watch the insults.  Since you obviously have no idea why such changes
were made and seem oblivious to the fact you can easily create makefiles from
the project file you seem to be in a poor position to throw insults around.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
The correct way to punctuate a sentence that starts: "Of course it is

Re:Builder 5 no more .bpr (make) files?

why not program your own solution using bpr2mak? It shouldn't be hard unless
I have mis understood the question.

Phil Jackson

Frank Gleeson <fglee...@netzero.net> writes:
> I would however like to be able to schedule unattended builds that run
> overnight.To do this I need makefiles.
> I know they included a BPR2MAK.EXE program but that does not help. If I
> have to explicitly run this program
> to sync up my project with my makefile, the makefile will always trail
> the project. My automated builds will fail
> to build the latest version of the code.

If you can automate your builds, why can't you also automate the
calling of bpr2mak immediately prior to your build?

--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:Builder 5 no more .bpr (make) files?

Perhaps you could make use of OLE Automation to script the IDE <BWG>?

JR

"Frank Gleeson" <fglee...@netzero.net> wrote in message

> Why did Borland go and do something stupid like take away makefiles and
> replace them
> with this XML {*word*99}? Is it possible to override this "feature". I am not
> trying to publish my makefile
> on the world wide web or export it prettyfied to numerous word
> processors.

> I would however like to be able to schedule unattended builds that run
> overnight.To do this I need makefiles.
> I know they included a BPR2MAK.EXE program but that does not help. If I
> have to explicitly run this program
> to sync up my project with my makefile, the makefile will always trail
> the project. My automated builds will fail
> to build the latest version of the code.

> I would really like to use Builder 5 but this is a *major* impediment.
> What possible justification is there for such
> a bozo move. Are they seeking to make Borland developers more like
> micro-wheenies. I have nothing against
> IDE development, I love working in the IDE doing RAD development.
> However I also like using the command line
> there are times when the IDE is overkill. Plus there is no way to
> schedule automated builds from the IDE.

Re:Builder 5 no more .bpr (make) files?

> Right click on the project and select Export Makefile.

In all may projects I have the bug that this command puts double quotes
 at the end of the LIBPATH variable and then the command line make program
does not work (I submitted this as a bug to Borland already).
The problem is solved by removing the quotes and putting a semicolon at the
end
(this could be done automatically with a small awk/pearl script)

Hans

Other Threads