linker problem when NT & Win95 share same BCB dir

I have WinNT40 and Win95 in two separate partitions.
On Win95 I installed BCB1.0 on drive D:
On NT I did it again excatly in the same directory in D:, overwriting
the previous files.

On WinNT it works fine.
On Win95 compilation works fine, too. But the linker later on
complains:
 Failed to create state file xxxx.ILC  (error code 0)

There's space enough on the disk, and those files are there when
compilation took place under NT.

Any ideas?

Jurgen

Jurgen Bartels, Taunusstein near Wiesbaden, Germany
jurg...@rheingau.netsurf.de

Re:linker problem when NT & Win95 share same BCB dir

> On Win95 I installed BCB1.0 on drive D:
> On NT I did it again excatly in the same directory in D:, overwriting
> the previous files.
>  Failed to create state file xxxx.ILC  (error code 0)

Be sure to install both patches, as availabe on the Borland web site.

| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:jdarn...@world.std.com)   |
| Programmer                Roger Wagner Publishing |
| http://world.std.com/~jdarnold                    |

Re:linker problem when NT & Win95 share same BCB dir

>> On Win95 I installed BCB1.0 on drive D:
>> On NT I did it again excatly in the same directory in D:, overwriting
>> the previous files.
>>  Failed to create state file xxxx.ILC  (error code 0)

>Be sure to install both patches, as availabe on the Borland web site.

I did and the problem still exist. WHat else can be done?

Jurgen Bartels <jurg...@rheingau.netsurf.de> wrote:
>[installed on both '95 and NT: but now, '95 linker cannot
>create state file]

I had *exactly* this problem. In a fit of frustration yesterday I solved
the problem. I had applied both patches some time ago, but they had no
effect at all. The actual solution is this:

Start|FindFiles, and find every single *.il* on your ENTIRE hard disk, in
all drives, in all directories. Delete every single one of them. (you may
wish to ensure that they really are all borland intermediate linker files
and not essential files from some other application). And I do mean every
single one.

This worked for me and was a tremendous source of relief. Let us know if
the same works for you.

--
Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. ljw1...@cam.ac.uk

Re:linker problem when NT & Win95 share same BCB dir

> >> On Win95 I installed BCB1.0 on drive D:
> >> On NT I did it again excatly in the same directory in D:, overwriting
> >> the previous files.
> >>  Failed to create state file xxxx.ILC  (error code 0)
> >Be sure to install both patches, as availabe on the Borland web site.
> I did and the problem still exist. WHat else can be done?

Here's a message from Sam Azer that talks about it:

> First, you should exit BCB and delete the *.il? and *.csm files in your
> ?\CBuilder\Bin directory.

> It doesn't hurt to delete *.csm and *.#?? files in your ?\CBuilder\Lib
> directory.

> Next, you should delete the *.il?, *.csm and *.obj files in your project
> directory -- they're probably not okay either.

> Before you restart BCB, select "Run" from the Start button, and run this
> command:

> ?\Cbuilder\Bin\Bcb.exe -deflink

> It will recreate the deflink.il? files in the ?\Cbuilder\Bin directory. All
> the other files are recreated automatically.

> This comes up from time to time, so I find it's easier to make a little
> batch file to do the job whenever necessary. You can also put the main
> batch file (to delete your projects' linker files,) in your Tools directory
> (Tools | Configure Tools | Add.) Note that you have to close-all to unlock
> the *.il? files.

| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:jdarn...@world.std.com)   |
| Programmer                Roger Wagner Publishing |
| http://world.std.com/~jdarnold                    |

Re:linker problem when NT & Win95 share same BCB dir

>Start|FindFiles, and find every single *.il* on your ENTIRE hard disk, in
>all drives, in all directories. Delete every single one of them. (you may
>wish to ensure that they really are all borland intermediate linker files
>and not essential files from some other application). And I do mean every
>single one.

>This worked for me and was a tremendous source of relief. Let us know if
>the same works for you.

Great tip!!!  It works!!
OnWin95 I first I deleted all *.il* in the working dir. It didn't
help.
Then I deleted *.il* in Borland\cbuilder\bin. That helped!
I then built a project on NT, went back to Win95, built it there, and
the problem appeared again. Then I killed *.il* again, and it worked.
So I need to deleted *.il* before I compile on Win95.
Strangely even *.il* belonging to other projects in the same dir
result in this problem. Somehow the linker looks at all of them?

Thanks again, I can live with this solution.

Jurgen

Jurgen Bartels, Taunusstein near Wiesbaden, Germany
jurg...@rheingau.netsurf.de

Other Threads