BCB4 Toolbar Icons

Hi,

I just got my official copy of BCB4 (tried the trial version from Inprise and
liked some of the new features).

The problem is that most (not all) of the toolbar icons either don't show at all
or show the desktop background color instead of the icon colors.  The trial
version did not do this.  I read through the readme and didn't see anything that
related.

I've seen this kind of thing before (Win3.1), but that was due to lack of
memory.  My system is a Celeron 333 with 64MB.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance..

Ray.

Re:BCB4 Toolbar Icons

: Ray Chermak <bit...@cal.net> wrote:

>BCB4
..
>The problem is that most (not all) of the toolbar icons either don't show at all

Jeff Overcash has prepared this information:

Make sure you are not running in 16 colors.  This is a Win98 bug (and a
bug that usually also stops the BDE Administrator in the Control Panel
from running).  You need to be using at least a 256 colours or more.  Here
is the standard answer for this question:

In all probability, this is a video driver bug.  What follows is the
standard list of fixes; unfortunately several of them are not applicable
under NT.

That's an indication that your video driver has a bug.  This is a bug in
how the driver is handling the ImageList API.  When building an image list
through the API, the driver starts the image in internal memory.  When the
list gets to a certain size it must switch to main memory to finish
building the TImageList.  This is when the freeze happens.  There is very
little Borland can do as this is a driver bug. This has traditionally hit
the S3 drivers.

Please try these work-arounds:

1) Get the latest driver (www.s3.com or your vendor if your vendor's
driver doesn't work, try the generic S3 driver as they tend to be more
compliant with the system specifications)

2) Start the IDE with the -ns switch

3) Under the [display] section of the SYSTEM.INI file add the following
line

    BusThrottle=1 (reboot afterwards)

4) Reduce the hardware acceleration for the card.

5) Reboot in safe mode and start BCB.  Goto the properties of the
component palette and hide all the controls that you rarely use. This will
reduce the size of the imagelist that is getting built and might get you
under the threshold.

6) Play with colour depth/resolution;  1024x768 in 16 bit color seems to
be the worst thing.

7) Get the latest DirectX drivers.

Additionally, BCB4 cannot run in Windows 98 under 16 colour mode.  You
must be at least at 256 colors.

PS: If "BusThrottle" works for you, this is by far the best solution.  All
it does is instruct the driver that it must give a little time slice to
the OS so there is very little impact on performance (so far no one has
reported back to me that they can even tell a difference between using and
not using the "BusThrottle" setting except that Delphi runs).
Unfortunately not all drivers respect this setting.

Re:BCB4 Toolbar Icons

"Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB)" wrote:
> : Ray Chermak <bit...@cal.net> wrote:

> >BCB4
> ..
> >The problem is that most (not all) of the toolbar icons either don't show at all

> Jeff Overcash has prepared this information:

> Make sure you are not running in 16 colors.  This is a Win98 bug (and a
> bug that usually also stops the BDE Administrator in the Control Panel
> from running).  You need to be using at least a 256 colours or more.  Here
> is the standard answer for this question:

Steve,

Thanks for the response.  I am, indeed running on Win98, but at 16K colors and did
not have a problem with either BCB3 or the trial version of BCB4, and BDEAmin works
fine.

Reinstall didn't help.

I'll check out the video driver suggestions, but suspect that won't help, either.

Ray.

Re:BCB4 Toolbar Icons

: Ray Chermak <bit...@cal.net> wrote:

>I'll check out the video driver suggestions, but suspect that won't help, either.

Believe me, it will. If it does not - get a different card. And do stay
clear of Voodoo 3 3000 cards...

Re:BCB4 Toolbar Icons

"Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB)" wrote:
> : Ray Chermak <bit...@cal.net> wrote:

> >I'll check out the video driver suggestions, but suspect that won't help, either.

> Believe me, it will. If it does not - get a different card. And do stay
> clear of Voodoo 3 3000 cards...

You're right.  I cranked down the hardware acceleration to one notch above "None" and
everything's fine.

Thanks!!!!

For anyone else with this problem:

    Dell Inspiron 3500 notebook (not easy to change video card).
    Video Driver version @2.06.02 - 6/99
    Flash BIOS version A12 - 8/99

The latest video and BIOS were no joy.  Adding the BusThrottle line to SYSTEM.INI did
not work.  Reducing the hardware acceleration did the trick.

Ray.

Other Threads