BCB BUILDER TRIAL EDITION

Hi all,
I just the Trial edition of BCB Enterprise to see if I want to upgrade
from BC++ 5.02(standard) to BCB professional version or if I want to get
the professional version of MS Visual C++.  I wanted to see how easy it
would be to convert my current project to BCB and everytime I try to
import the rc script  from the 5.02 project I get
invalid page faults.
Is the IDE always only a menu bar at top...I would rather have an MDI
interface and cant find anywhere to change it.
Apparently there isnt any way to create 16 bit apps..though it mentions
16 bit  here and there.
Inprise doesnt support 5.02 so apparenty they could care less about
there inherited customer base...do they care about there current
customer base?

The first impressions of the trial edition are all bad so far....
Some one please point out some of the good things about BCB so that Im
not forced to go the (GOD FORBID)Microsoft Route. Ive only ever used
borland since 3.1...but it seems like there is more stability with
support updates etc with MS.

Re:BCB BUILDER TRIAL EDITION

Hi eye

BCB in all versions is 32 bit only. With the distribution Pro and Enterprise versions they
include BC++5.02. FWIW if you are after 16 bit environments, MS is not better off, unless
they've changed things recently. From approximately VC++ 2.0 onward, VC++ has been 32 bit
only too. For a time, they included VC++ 1.5, which as far as I know, is the last 16 bit
version from MS.

Far and away the best way to redo apps for BCB4 is to start BCB4 with a new project,
arrange the include and lib directories as needed (add, don't delete, except under special
circumstances) and add your *.cpp files to this new project. Might be a real good idea to
save at this point, even before you try to make the first time. But note that this is
going to result in a 32 bit *.exe.
perhaps you can use BC5.02 to redefine your rc to 32 bit?

There are many people in this ng that know more than I do. But anything they will add,
will be dressing-up what I've told you above.

HTH

Bob

: I <n...@here.com> wrote:
>I wanted to see how easy it
>would be to convert my current project to BCB

It won't be easy, because BCB4 is a completely new architecture.

>Is the IDE always only a menu bar at top...

Yes.

>Apparently there isnt any way to create 16 bit apps..

Correct. C++Builder only generates 32 bit executables.

>Inprise doesnt support 5.02

Inprise does support Borland C++ 5.02. Please call Borland Developer
Support and ask a question about Borland C++ 5.02. Alternatively, please
have a look at the groups in the borland.public.cpp.* hierarchy.

>The first impressions of the trial edition are all bad so far....

This is a very global statement.

Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB) wrote in message

<3819d5a9.39986...@forums.inprise.com>...

>>Inprise doesnt support 5.02

>Inprise does support Borland C++ 5.02. Please call Borland Developer
>Support and ask a question about Borland C++ 5.02. Alternatively, please
>have a look at the groups in the borland.public.cpp.* hierarchy.

That depends on what you mean by "supported".  It is a discontinued product,
though resources are still available for it for "tech support."

Chris (TeamB)

Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) wrote:
Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB) wrote:

Well thank you for answering.
Still didnt see anything good from anyone.
I have been an amatuer programmer for 5+ years.,...started with turbo 3.1 and
then 4.52 then 5.02.
I want to upgrade to a professional version and that means going to a visual
C++.
At least a 6 month to a year relearning curve,,I just started to become
comfortable with using the OWL.  If I get the professional version does that
have OWL included or is it just the Enterprise Edition? I really dont want to
have to switch to MSVC++ but what I meant about unsupported is ...with 5.02
there are many bugs with it and apparantly there is not any intention on
Borlands/Inprise's part to fix them.
Then I read a whole big discussion on how quirky BCB4 is...well 5.02 is....
apparently (I dont really know because of all the back and forth and I got tired
of reading it) there isnt any intention to fix existing bugs yet alone old ones
in 5.02.

4.52 was such a good product...worked ...dependable and so forth.
5.02 could be, if  I get used to some of the bugs, But I shouldnt have to...I
paid good hard earned cash for a product and it should work.Period.

Never Have I seen such a buggy professionally written/marketed/team wrote
software.
I thought, well there must be some patches to fix all this stuff....well there
were a few patchs and at least the help is now usable.

If I have to go thru such a long relearning curve...I still havent heard One
single good thing about using BCB4.. Unfornately I bought into there way of
doing stuff when they were a company worth "buying into".

Signed Disenchanted Borland Using #98292.

I wrote:

> Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) wrote:
> Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB) wrote:

< snip >

> At least a 6 month to a year relearning curve,,I just started to become
> comfortable with using the OWL.  If I get the professional version does that
> have OWL included or is it just the Enterprise Edition?

The pro version has OWL. MFC too, if you are that {*word*37}ic! <g>

> I really dont want to
> have to switch to MSVC++ but what I meant about unsupported is ...with 5.02
> there are many bugs with it and apparantly there is not any intention on
> Borlands/Inprise's part to fix them.
> Then I read a whole big discussion on how quirky BCB4 is...well 5.02 is....
> apparently (I dont really know because of all the back and forth and I got
> tired of reading it) there isnt any intention to fix existing bugs yet alone
> old ones in 5.02.

The bottom line on that long thread, seemed to me, was that FOR CERTAIN kinds of programs,
(apparently dealing with esoterica like CGI and WinCGI, etc.) BCB4 has some holes in it. I
don't do those things. The only holes that really affect me are the ones in my head. There
are work-arounds for most of the day-to-day, garden variety bugs.

> 4.52 was such a good product...worked ...dependable and so forth.
> 5.02 could be, if  I get used to some of the bugs, But I shouldnt have to...I
> paid good hard earned cash for a product and it should work.Period.

Can't say anything about BC5.02 (or 5.0, for that matter). I did a lot of work with 4.52,
(still have it on my Win3.11 laptop), and I didn't 'graduate' to the modern stuff until I
finally upgraded my computer about 14 months ago. Even then, I didn't bet to BCB until
V3.0 About the time I figured out how to drive it and stay out of the ditches, here come
BCB4. Given the run-of-the-mill not-greatly-demanding nature of my current project -- I'm
afraid I love it! Programming Windows is NOT hard. It is TEDIOUS. BCB4 removes an awful
lot of the tedium.

> Never Have I seen such a buggy professionally written/marketed/team wrote
> software.
> I thought, well there must be some patches to fix all this stuff....well there
> were a few patchs and at least the help is now usable.

> If I have to go thru such a long relearning curve...I still havent heard One
> single good thing about using BCB4.. Unfornately I bought into there way of
> doing stuff when they were a company worth "buying into".

> Signed Disenchanted Borland Using #98292.

Have a good day -- however you #define one.

Bob

Re:BCB BUILDER TRIAL EDITION

    I agree that 4.52 was extremely usable -- I used it for quite some time until,
after skipping 5.x and BCB 1, my team contracted to upgrade a system written in
Borland C 3.1 and Win 3.11 to BCB 3.0 and WinNT4.  Clearly, we have had individual
questions about how to implement specific tasks.  However, we were well up and
programming within a week with this VERY usable tool.

    Give VCL a real chance and you'll likely find that it is logical, flexible, and
powerful.

Curtis.

I wrote:
> At least a 6 month to a year relearning curve,,I just started to become
> comfortable with using the OWL.  If I get the professional version does that

> Signed Disenchanted Borland Using #98292.

Other Threads