BCB 4.0 upgrade from 3.0

We've just upgaded to BCB4.0 from 3.0, and are having difficulty with our
current projects. The IDE automatically updates them when they're loaded
(though why couldn't it check them, and the BCB environment, when installed,
and set up things like syntax colouring as I had them already?), but
projects containing our own custom components (built with BCB 3.0) don't
update correctly. Nor can I install the components manually (getting an
error saying that the .BPL file is in an incorrect format). This presumably
means that Inprise have changed the format of packages between versions 3.0
and 4.0. On attempting to load the project containing the package in order
to rebuild the components, BCB 4.0 will not read the .BPK files from version
3.0, though it will read .BPG files - unfortunately, it doesn't seem to want
to compile them!

I can find nothing in the documentation about possible problems regarding
packages in upgrading from version 3.0 to 4.0. Can anyone suggest what might
be going wrong, or say where this is documented among the BCB 4.0 manuals,
or better still say how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Pete Barrett

Re:BCB 4.0 upgrade from 3.0

: "DCS Solutions" <dean.oak...@{*word*269}.net> wrote:

>This presumably
>means that Inprise have changed the format of packages between versions 3.0
>and 4.0.

This has always happened and in all likelihood will always be the
case.

>BCB 4.0 will not read the .BPK files from version
>3.0,

For me, BCB4 does read "old" BPKs just find.

>how to fix it?

You need to rebuild all your packages. No more, no less.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister       http://www.econos.de/
No private email, please, unless expressly invited.

Re:BCB 4.0 upgrade from 3.0

Stefan Hoffmeister wrote in message <36d2cf52.3195...@forums.inprise.com>...

>For me, BCB4 does read "old" BPKs just find.

>>how to fix it?

>You need to rebuild all your packages. No more, no less.

Thanks, Stefan - but if it won't read my old BPK files (whatever it will do
with yours <g>), how can I do that?

Pete Barrett

Re:BCB 4.0 upgrade from 3.0

>>Thanks, Stefan - but if it won't read my old BPK files

I've not had any problems opening BCB 3 BPKs in BCB 4.

>>how can I do that?

If you can't open the BPK in BCB 4 then you'll need to create the packages
from scratch in BCB 4.

--
Kent (TeamB and TurboPower Software)

Re:BCB 4.0 upgrade from 3.0

I believe there is some bug when dealing with .bpk packages that were originally
created in BCB3 and that BCB4 has to deal with. I was able to open my BCB3 .bpk
file in BCB4 but when I made it again I received a message that it the linker
was looking for vcle35.lib . I believe my solution was to make sure that the
requires area had only BCB4 vcls, remove any BCB3 vcls in the .bpk file, make
sure my directory path had only BCB4 vcls on it, and finally build the whole
package again. Finally my error regarding vcle35.lib went away.

Amazingly enough when I went to test out my components in my package in another
normal .bpr project I created from scratch, by adding my component files to the
project, the IDE inserted a refeence to my component's import library in this
new project file. I had to manually remove it to build my .bpr project.

I know these problems with BCB3 packages and components really happened to me
but why the IDE acted in the way it did I have no clue about.

DCS Solutions wrote:
> We've just upgaded to BCB4.0 from 3.0, and are having difficulty with our
> current projects. The IDE automatically updates them when they're loaded
> (though why couldn't it check them, and the BCB environment, when installed,
> and set up things like syntax colouring as I had them already?), but
> projects containing our own custom components (built with BCB 3.0) don't
> update correctly. Nor can I install the components manually (getting an
> error saying that the .BPL file is in an incorrect format). This presumably
> means that Inprise have changed the format of packages between versions 3.0
> and 4.0. On attempting to load the project containing the package in order
> to rebuild the components, BCB 4.0 will not read the .BPK files from version
> 3.0, though it will read .BPG files - unfortunately, it doesn't seem to want
> to compile them!

> I can find nothing in the documentation about possible problems regarding
> packages in upgrading from version 3.0 to 4.0. Can anyone suggest what might
> be going wrong, or say where this is documented among the BCB 4.0 manuals,
> or better still say how to fix it?

> Thanks in advance.

> Pete Barrett

Re:BCB 4.0 upgrade from 3.0

I have something llike the same problem.

When I upgraded to BCB4 I did a full clean install.
But BCB4 would not install my old components. Then I tried to
recompile the project files. BCB4 opens the old BCB3 project files just
fine, upgrading them to v.4, but it is not possible to choose
project|Make.....only the compile button in the project manager is
available and that one doesn't seem to create the component .bpl files ?
Wonder why ?

Anyone has a solution ?

DarkWolf
DarkW...@hotmail.com

Edward Diener wrote:

I believe there is some bug when dealing with .bpk packages that were originally
> created in BCB3 and that BCB4 has to deal with. I was able to open my BCB3 .bpk
> file in BCB4 but when I made it again I received a message that it the linker
> was looking for vcle35.lib . I believe my solution was to make sure that the
> requires area had only BCB4 vcls, remove any BCB3 vcls in the .bpk file, make
> sure my directory path had only BCB4 vcls on it, and finally build the whole
> package again. Finally my error regarding vcle35.lib went away.

> Amazingly enough when I went to test out my components in my package in another
> normal .bpr project I created from scratch, by adding my component files to the
> project, the IDE inserted a refeence to my component's import library in this
> new project file. I had to manually remove it to build my .bpr project.

> I know these problems with BCB3 packages and components really happened to me
> but why the IDE acted in the way it did I have no clue about.

Re:BCB 4.0 upgrade from 3.0

>>only the compile button in the project manager is available and that one

doesn't seem to create the component .bpl files ?

It creates the BPLs, you just aren't looking in the correct place for them.
Look in \Cbuilder4\Projects\Bpl.

--
Kent (TeamB and TurboPower Software)

Re:BCB 4.0 upgrade from 3.0

Click on the top most entry in the project window "Contents" with the right mouse
button.  This ERROR must have been brought over from BC 5.0-5.0b
You WILL find build there.
darkwolf wrote:
> I have something llike the same problem.

> When I upgraded to BCB4 I did a full clean install.
> But BCB4 would not install my old components. Then I tried to
> recompile the project files. BCB4 opens the old BCB3 project files just
> fine, upgrading them to v.4, but it is not possible to choose
> project|Make.....only the compile button in the project manager is
> available and that one doesn't seem to create the component .bpl files ?
> Wonder why ?

> Anyone has a solution ?

> DarkWolf
> DarkW...@hotmail.com

> Edward Diener wrote:
> I believe there is some bug when dealing with .bpk packages that were originally

> > created in BCB3 and that BCB4 has to deal with. I was able to open my BCB3 .bpk
> > file in BCB4 but when I made it again I received a message that it the linker
> > was looking for vcle35.lib . I believe my solution was to make sure that the
> > requires area had only BCB4 vcls, remove any BCB3 vcls in the .bpk file, make
> > sure my directory path had only BCB4 vcls on it, and finally build the whole
> > package again. Finally my error regarding vcle35.lib went away.

> > Amazingly enough when I went to test out my components in my package in another
> > normal .bpr project I created from scratch, by adding my component files to the
> > project, the IDE inserted a refeence to my component's import library in this
> > new project file. I had to manually remove it to build my .bpr project.

> > I know these problems with BCB3 packages and components really happened to me
> > but why the IDE acted in the way it did I have no clue about.

Other Threads