BCB 6 vs BCB 5 compile time

Hi all,

I just upgraded from BCB 5 Pro to BCB 6 Pro.  I have a pretty large
database app that I have converted.  I have always used the pre-compiled
headers strategy from bcbdev.com.  My full compile time in BCB 5 was 57
seconds.  With BCB 6 it has gone up to 122 seconds.  That is more than
double the time.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a known
problem with BCB 6?  Is there anything that can be done to improve the
compile time for BCB 6?

John G

Re:BCB 6 vs BCB 5 compile time

I make no promises of success but try this:

Open the project *.BPR file in another editor when the IDE is not running
and look at directories.

Check that all directories exist, that no directories are mentioned more
than once in the same section or directory string.

Check that no directories are empty and that no directory ends with
backslash quote (\").

Also look for network directories since opening a network directory which is
not currently online takes a LONG time and one which is currently online can
be slow.

While you are at it, check that the system path doesn't also have the old
compiler's path in it.

.  Ed

> John G wrote in message

> I just upgraded from BCB 5 Pro to BCB 6 Pro.  I have
> a pretty large database app that I have converted.  I
> have always used the pre-compiled headers strategy from
> bcbdev.com.  My full compile time in BCB 5 was 57
> seconds.  With BCB 6 it has gone up to 122 seconds.
> That is more than double the time.  Has anyone else had
> this problem?  Is there a known problem with BCB 6?  Is
> there anything that can be done to improve the
> compile time for BCB 6?

Re:BCB 6 vs BCB 5 compile time

Thanks for your suggestions.  I did not have any of the situations you
mentioned.  Actually when I converted the project to BCB 6, I created and
brand new project and added all of the forms, etc. one by one to make sure
I didn't have any conversion junk left over.

That being said, I did some research on google news search and found a
message from last July that mentions if you delete the .hdp files from the
bcb 6 lib or include directory (I forget which one I found the files in) it
will speed up the compile.  Sure enough, one I deleted those files, my
compile time went down to 62 seconds.  Almost as fast as it was before.

Re:BCB 6 vs BCB 5 compile time

John G,

Go into your Builder install directory and find the VCL\ directory.
Remove or rename or relocate all the files with the extension HDP.

These are a form of precompiled header but in my experience they do
nothing but prolong compilation times.
--
Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]

Team Thai Kingdom

Re:BCB 6 vs BCB 5 compile time

John G wrote:
> Hi all,

> I just upgraded from BCB 5 Pro to BCB 6 Pro.  I have a pretty large
> database app that I have converted.  I have always used the pre-compiled
> headers strategy from bcbdev.com.  My full compile time in BCB 5 was 57
> seconds.  With BCB 6 it has gone up to 122 seconds.  That is more than
> double the time.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a known
> problem with BCB 6?  Is there anything that can be done to improve the
> compile time for BCB 6?

> John G

Disable "background compilation" if it is turned on (by default it is on
after installation).

Sam.

Other Threads