IDE CRASH CRASH CRASH

I am using BCB 5.0 with the Patch #1 on WinNT, AMD 1.2Mhz, 512K

My Borland app will poop out and die while compiling, editing, or at other times just using the product.  I do have some custom components, but as far as I can tell they are not interfering with the IDE.  It works most of the time but hangs, disapears, or just quits with exceptions at other times.  a reboot usually puts things in order until the next episode.  Is anyone else having this sort of trouble?  I have 5 projects loaded in a project group (4 packages, 1 exe)  Can borland handle this?  let me know if you have ANY suggestions.

Re:IDE CRASH CRASH CRASH

"Rex Bloom" <r...@rexbloom.net> wrote in message news:3be03319$1_2@dnews...
> My Borland app will poop out and die while compiling, editing, or at
> other times just using the product.

This is pretty much a standard problem.  By massaging the IDE you can rid
yourself of a majority of these crashes.

Close Builder and open 'regedit'.  Open the following key:

    HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\5.0\Known IDE Packages

Remove or move the following two entries:

    $(BCB)\Bin\bcbcxp50.bpl
    $(BCB)\Bin\direct50.bpl

The first is the class explorer ... the package is a good idea but very
buggy.  The second is C++Builder Direct.  You can alternatively disable both
of these in the IDE under "Tools | Environment Options" but I find it better
to remove the packages completely so that the IDE never even loads them.

Next, head to "Tools | Editor Options > Code Insight".  Turn off 'Code
completion', 'Code parameters', and 'Tooltip symbol insight'.  The first two
can still be accessed by pressing 'CTRL+SPACE' but you will avoid some
downtime by turning them off from the start.

Lastly, unfortunately the Project Manager does cause a few problems during
debugging and compiling.  I use it with very few problems but some people
have decided to stop using it completely.  If you continue to have problems
during compiling and debugging you might consider only loading 1 project at
a time and stop using the Project Manager.

HTH,

- Clayton

Re:IDE CRASH CRASH CRASH

thanks for the help, I will try all that you suggested.

-REx

"Clayton Arends" <nospam.claytonare...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Rex Bloom" <r...@rexbloom.net> wrote in message news:3be03319$1_2@dnews...

>> My Borland app will poop out and die while compiling, editing, or at
>> other times just using the product.

>This is pretty much a standard problem.  By massaging the IDE you can rid
>yourself of a majority of these crashes.

>Close Builder and open 'regedit'.  Open the following key:

>    HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\5.0\Known IDE Packages

>Remove or move the following two entries:

>    $(BCB)\Bin\bcbcxp50.bpl
>    $(BCB)\Bin\direct50.bpl

>The first is the class explorer ... the package is a good idea but very
>buggy.  The second is C++Builder Direct.  You can alternatively disable both
>of these in the IDE under "Tools | Environment Options" but I find it better
>to remove the packages completely so that the IDE never even loads them.

>Next, head to "Tools | Editor Options > Code Insight".  Turn off 'Code
>completion', 'Code parameters', and 'Tooltip symbol insight'.  The first two
>can still be accessed by pressing 'CTRL+SPACE' but you will avoid some
>downtime by turning them off from the start.

>Lastly, unfortunately the Project Manager does cause a few problems during
>debugging and compiling.  I use it with very few problems but some people
>have decided to stop using it completely.  If you continue to have problems
>during compiling and debugging you might consider only loading 1 project at
>a time and stop using the Project Manager.

>HTH,

>- Clayton

Re:IDE CRASH CRASH CRASH

"roN" <regg...@baumerelectric.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Hi, i also have the problem that my IDE often crashes.
> most after compiling and linking, just befor i can see my form but only on
> the 2nd time i compile. if i strat my IDE, i can compile it without a
> problem....but the 2nd time it crashes with access violation in Vcl50.bpl.
> That's why i tried this solution:

> > >Close Builder and open 'regedit'.  Open the following key:

> > >    HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\5.0\Known IDE Packages

> > >Remove or move the following two entries:

> > >    $(BCB)\Bin\bcbcxp50.bpl
> > >    $(BCB)\Bin\direct50.bpl

> i removed the keys and started my BCB again.
> after that i didn't see my project-treeview anymore.... it's away...
> i tried to re-implement this two entries in the registry and after that i
> started BCB. BCB tells me now, that i would not find the bcbcxp50.bpl and
> direct50.bpl anymore.

hOOOOOOOOOOOOOps excuse me! it was my fault. i wrote an invalid path in the
String!
sorry.
but if i remove those data-strings, the problem with the CLASS-EXPLORER (now
i know the name ;o) ) is still the same. does anyone have some suggestions?

> what happend?
> what can i do that my BCB won't crash anymore and i also have the
> project-treeview (sorry, i don't know the real name...because i can't see
it
> anymore ;o) )

> thanx for help!!!!

> --
> =:= roN =:=

> mailto:regg...@baumerelectric.ch
> http://www.rideon.ch

Re:IDE CRASH CRASH CRASH

Hi, i also have the problem that my IDE often crashes.
most after compiling and linking, just befor i can see my form but only on
the 2nd time i compile. if i strat my IDE, i can compile it without a
problem....but the 2nd time it crashes with access violation in Vcl50.bpl.
That's why i tried this solution:

> >Close Builder and open 'regedit'.  Open the following key:

> >    HKCU\Software\Borland\C++Builder\5.0\Known IDE Packages

> >Remove or move the following two entries:

> >    $(BCB)\Bin\bcbcxp50.bpl
> >    $(BCB)\Bin\direct50.bpl

i removed the keys and started my BCB again.
after that i didn't see my project-treeview anymore.... it's away...
i tried to re-implement this two entries in the registry and after that i
started BCB. BCB tells me now, that i would not find the bcbcxp50.bpl and
direct50.bpl anymore.

what happend?
what can i do that my BCB won't crash anymore and i also have the
project-treeview (sorry, i don't know the real name...because i can't see it
anymore ;o) )

thanx for help!!!!

--

mailto:regg...@baumerelectric.ch