JB9 hangs on file open

2003-10-15 02:02:15 PM
jbuilder12
Hello,
if i try to open a file or project via the file->open dialog, jbuilder 9
hangs without opening any file chooser.
I am running JBuilder 9 Personal on a linux machine with kde 3.1.
Does anybode know a solution to this ?
Best regards,
Stephan Janisch

Re:JB9 hangs on file open

Hallo,
did you start JB from a console ?
if not please do start JB with: jbuilder -verbose
then report any exception that might occur when you open your file
if it just hangs then do ctrl+break and report what you get

--
Ludovic
"Les formes qui differencient les etres importent peu

Re:JB9 hangs on file open

On 10/15/2003 at 2:02:15 AM, Stephan Janisch wrote:
if i try to open a file or project via the file->open dialog,
jbuilder 9 hangs without opening any file chooser.
In addition to what Ludovic mentioned, look at your user.properties
file (in the .jbuilderX directory) to see if it has stored any strange
paths. If it has stored the path to a removable drive that has no
media in it, or perhaps to a network drive that is no longer
accessible, that could cause JBuilder to hang up until the I/O times
out.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]

Re:JB9 hangs on file open

Hello Ludovic,
I tried jbuilder -verbose but no exceptions were thrown. The output
simply tells:
--- Initializing OpenTools-UrlChooser
OpenTool com.borland.primetime.vfs.ui.UrlDirExplorerPage (69+77ms)
OpenTool com.borland.primetime.vfs.ui.UrlFileExplorerPage (13+13ms)
OpenTool com.borland.primetime.vfs.ui.DefaultUrlExplorerCustomizer (4+0ms)
--- OpenTools-UrlChooser initialized (179ms total)
and hangs. If i do a ctrl+break jbuilder gives the following
informations (but no exceptions either):
*** Shutdown request received ***
Attempting to save all open files...
Save succeeded.
and the GUI does not respond to any input any more (as before the
ctrl+break).
Best regards
Stephan

Stephan Janisch a écrit :

>Hello,
>
>if i try to open a file or project via the file->open dialog, jbuilder
>9 hangs without opening any file chooser.
>
>I am running JBuilder 9 Personal on a linux machine with kde 3.1.
>
>Does anybode know a solution to this ?
>
>Best regards,
>Stephan Janisch

Re:JB9 hangs on file open

Hello John,
i had a look at the properties-file but there aren't any strange paths
stored in it. Initially i thought the problem has something to do with
this uncomfortable user/system-prefs implementation in jdk1.4 which
doesn`t work properly if you are running your java on a network drive
where you do not have any write permissions. But the workaround
descriped at
www.allaboutbalance.com/disableprefs/
didn`t fix the openFileChooser/hang-Problem (although it is a solution
for this bothering message on the sys-out "Can`t get File lock ...")
Best regards,
Stephan
John McGrath [TeamB] wrote:
On 10/15/2003 at 2:02:15 AM, Stephan Janisch wrote:

>if i try to open a file or project via the file->open dialog,
>jbuilder 9 hangs without opening any file chooser.

In addition to what Ludovic mentioned, look at your user.properties
file (in the .jbuilderX directory) to see if it has stored any strange
paths. If it has stored the path to a removable drive that has no
media in it, or perhaps to a network drive that is no longer
accessible, that could cause JBuilder to hang up until the I/O times
out.

Re:JB9 hangs on file open

Hallo Stephan,
For some unclear reason, your ctrl+break does not produce what I would
have expected (ie a threads dump) but rather a failled ctrl+C (as I
would have thought that ctrl+C would also exit the JVM).
After some reading
(java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/linux/java.html) it seems
that you need to generate a SIGQUIT to have a thread dump on linux, I
have no idea how though...

--
Ludovic
"Les formes qui differencient les etres importent peu
si leur pensees s'unissent pour batir un univers..."
Yoko Tsuno (in 'Les titans' by Roger Leloup)
[The shapes that differenciate beings are not important
if their thoughts unite to build a universe]

Re:JB9 hangs on file open

Anyway, thank you very much for your efforts.
Best Regards
Stephan