IDE Locks Up on Startup

2004-02-03 09:55:45 AM
jbuilder3
After launching the IDE, the window for the splash screen appears, but it's
all gray. Hourglass cursor and it hangs. Don't even know where to start
looking short of reinstalling. Any clues appreciated. Thx.
JB9 Developer on Win2KProSP4
-Steve

Re:IDE Locks Up on Startup

Nobody wrote:
After launching the IDE, the window for the splash screen appears, but it's
all gray. Hourglass cursor and it hangs. Don't even know where to start
looking short of reinstalling. Any clues appreciated. Thx.

JB9 Developer on Win2KProSP4
Oft-repeated advice: start from command line:
JBuilder9/bin/jbuilder.exe -verbose
Check console for exceptions. If any,
what are they?
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:IDE Locks Up on Startup

"Paul Furbacher" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Nobody wrote:

>After launching the IDE, the window for the splash screen appears, but
it's
>all gray. Hourglass cursor and it hangs. Don't even know where to start
>looking short of reinstalling. Any clues appreciated. Thx.
>
>JB9 Developer on Win2KProSP4

Oft-repeated advice: start from command line:

>JBuilder9/bin/jbuilder.exe -verbose

Check console for exceptions. If any,
what are they?
Didn't see anything like an exception, just stops. Any clues? Thanks!
C:\JBuilder9\bin>jbuilder.exe -verbose
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\jdk1.4\lib\tools.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\activation.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\ant.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\beandt.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\bsf.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\castor-xml.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\dbswing.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\dbswingdt.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\dbtools.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\dt.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\dx.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\EccpressoAll.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\flexlm.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\gnuregexp.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\help.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\internetbeans.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\jakarta-regexp-1.1.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\jbcl.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\jbuilder.jar
Blocking com.borland.jbuilder.wizard.migration.MigrationTool initialization
Blocking com.borland.jbuilder.wizard.vcafeproject.ImportProjectWizard
initializa
tion
Blocking com.borland.jbuilder.enterprise.ejb.DeployPropertyGroup
initialization
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\jdbcx.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\jdom.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\jds.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\jdsremote.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\jdsserver.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\linuxDesktopConfigurator.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\mail.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\optional.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\primetime.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\sanctuary.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\sqltools.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\webserverglue.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\xercesImpl.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\xmlParserAPIs.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\JBuilder9\lib\servers\tomcat-jbsp.jar
Scanning manifest from
C:\JBuilder9\thirdparty\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6-LE-jdk14\com
mon\lib\servlet.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for
JDB
C\lib\mssqlserver.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for
JDB
C\lib\msutil.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for
JDB
C\lib\msbase.jar
OpenTools discovered (230ms)
--- Initializing OpenTools-Core
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.build.BuildCommand (250+0ms)
JBuilder 9 Developer
Borland Products License Owner:
Copyright (c) 1996-2003 Borland Software Corporation. All rights reserved.
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.JBuilderCore (10+2944ms)
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.java.JavacValidator (10+21ms)
--- OpenTools-Core initialized (3235ms total)
--- Initializing OpenTools-PreUI
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.IntlSwing (20+260ms)
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.util.JBuilderNullSecurityManager (50+110ms)
--- Initializing OpenTools-Info
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.info.JBuilderInfo (10+581ms)
--- OpenTools-Info initialized (591ms total)
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.insight.template.JavaTemplateSet (140+731ms)
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.insight.template.HtmlTemplateSet (10+20ms)
OpenTool com.borland.primetime.insight.template.CommonTemplateSet (0+0ms)
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.editor.JavaBasicFormattingSample (20+101ms)
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.editor.JavaColorSet (110+0ms)
OpenTool com.borland.jbuilder.editor.HtmlColorSet (0+0ms)
OpenTool com.borland.primetime.editor.ColorSchemeManager (0+20ms)
OpenTool com.borland.primetime.ide.ProjectTree (420+0ms)
OpenTool com.borland.primetime.teamdev.clearcase.CCProjectInit (30+0ms)
--- OpenTools-PreUI initialized (2042ms total)

{smallsort}

Re:IDE Locks Up on Startup

news:401f06bf$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Check console for exceptions. If any,
>what are they?
Is this a fresh installation, or have you
been using it for a good while and all of
a sudden it refuses to start up?
If it's the former, maybe it's your video
card. Go to the JBuilder installation/bin
folder and uncomment all three lines which
deal with video set up.
If it's the latter, ...
Didn't see anything like an exception, just stops. Any clues? Thanks!

C:\JBuilder9\bin>jbuilder.exe -verbose
Scanning manifest [...]
Scanning manifest from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for
JDB
C\lib\mssqlserver.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for
JDB
C\lib\msutil.jar
Scanning manifest from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for
JDB
C\lib\msbase.jar
Did you install this driver just prior
to the occurrence of this start up failure?
If so, try copying the respective driver JARs
to a directory which has no spaces in its path.
Find the associated library in your <home directory>/.jbuilder9
and throw it in the trash. Restart JBuilder.
Reconfigure that library.
[...]

Nothing odd here that I can see. You don't
seem to have any Open Tools in your lib/ext,
from what I can see in the manifest scan.
If you do have any, remove them from the lib/ext
folder, except maybe the QCClient.jar.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:IDE Locks Up on Startup

Bingo. pcAnywhere was having video trouble. Uninstalled pcAnywhere, JB loads
fine. Reinstall pcA and it locks up again. Looks like there is some
fundamental incompatibility or conflict that needs to be resolved. Thanks!

Steve wrote:
Bingo. pcAnywhere was having video trouble. Uninstalled pcAnywhere, JB loads
fine. Reinstall pcA and it locks up again. Looks like there is some
fundamental incompatibility or conflict that needs to be resolved. Thanks!
And whenever you run into any video trouble, first try to edit
jdk.config (C:\JBuilderX\bin) and uncomment the "vmparam
-Dsun.java2d.noddraw" line (i.e. disable all accelerations) and see if
that fixes your JBuilder problem. It's always worth a shot, as a workaround.

Re:IDE Locks Up on Startup

"Shankar Unni" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Steve wrote:
>Bingo. pcAnywhere was having video trouble. Uninstalled pcAnywhere, JB
loads
>fine. Reinstall pcA and it locks up again. Looks like there is some
>fundamental incompatibility or conflict that needs to be resolved.
Thanks!

And whenever you run into any video trouble, first try to edit
jdk.config (C:\JBuilderX\bin) and uncomment the "vmparam
-Dsun.java2d.noddraw" line (i.e. disable all accelerations) and see if
that fixes your JBuilder problem. It's always worth a shot, as a
workaround.
That worked. pcA happy now. Thanks!