Cannonfire, but no stack trace

2004-06-08 09:03:54 AM
jbuilder4
This is probably a dumb question but here goes: When starting my web app I
get that telltale John Bonham sound of an exception, but nothing shows up in
the stack trace. I can't think any cause for this other than one of my
third-party libs is swallowing an exception. But do caught exceptions make
that sound in the IDE? TIA.

Re:Cannonfire, but no stack trace

Steve wrote:
the stack trace. I can't think any cause for this other than one of my
third-party libs is swallowing an exception. But do caught exceptions make
The IDE isn't very smart about when an exception occurs. I believe any
time the it sees the word "Exception" in the output, it will make the
noise. So, for example, if your application prints "Steve's
Stupendously Exceptional Application, version 1" as a banner message,
you'll hear a boom. If you don't see a backtrace, it's probably not a
real exception.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

"Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Steve wrote:
>the stack trace. I can't think any cause for this other than one of my
>third-party libs is swallowing an exception. But do caught exceptions
make

The IDE isn't very smart about when an exception occurs. I believe any
time the it sees the word "Exception" in the output, it will make the
noise. So, for example, if your application prints "Steve's
Stupendously Exceptional Application, version 1" as a banner message,
you'll hear a boom. If you don't see a backtrace, it's probably not a
real exception.
That's a relief, but I gotta say it: That's kind of a lame setup. However,
I'll make sure not to use that word in my log messages. Thanks.

Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

{smallsort}