BES deployment with security roles fails

2003-12-24 04:05:30 PM
jbuilder3
Hello!
Here I'm reporting a JBuilder X bug.
I have discovered an ugly bug in JBuilderX that prevents you from
deploying EJB module onto BES 5.2.1 if you're using security roles.
Try to do:
1) Create project
2) Assign BES 5.2.1 as server to this project
3) Create EJB module
4) Create empty session bean in this EJB module
5) Open DD editor for this EJB module
6) Add security role "admin" to this EJB module
7) Find ejb-borland.xml file in META-INF subdirectory of this EJB module
8) Right click on ejb-borland.xml
9) Choose Validate
10) JBuilder shows error (so as BES5.2.1)
This ejb-borland.xml error prevents EJB module deployment onto BES.
Well, the problem is in assembling of ejb-borland.xml! Open this file and
you'll find following:
<ejb-jar>
<security-role>
<role-name>user</role-name>
</security-role>
</ejb-jar>
security-role node type shouldn't be child of ejb-jar node type. Wrap
security-role nodes into assembly-descriptor node. You will get something
like:
<ejb-jar>
<assembly-descriptor>
<security-role>
<role-name>user</role-name>
</security-role>
</assembly-descriptor>
</ejb-jar>
This ejb-borland.xml is now valid and EJB module can be deployed onto BES!
Bad news is: JBuilder X regenerates ejb-borland.xml every time you
exit EJB designer and/or DD editor. Every time before you deploy EJB
module onto BES, you'll need to check ejb-borland.xml.
Good news is: If you need security on BES, stay on JBuilder 9 which
doesn't have this bug.
Dalibor.

Re:BES deployment with security roles fails

Dalibor Krleza wrote:
Hello!

Here I'm reporting a JBuilder X bug.
[ ... bug report snipped ...]
Have you filed a bug report at Quality Central
on this issue? Did you include the detailed
instructions which you posted here? If so,
that's great. If not, please do so soon.
Reporting bugs to these newsgroups is good only
if you want to elicit inspection by others as a
means of providing a sanity check. But to have
anyone at Borland become aware of the bug,
you have to report it to Quality Central.
This "report it through the appropriate
channels, not the newsgroup or list" advice
applies to just about any kind of software,
not just JBuilder. With Sun, Microsoft, Apple,
and many other vendors, if you want them to
take note of a bug, you cannot just post
a message to a list or newsgroup. You
have to go to the official bug reporting
site and file a report.
For Borland products, that is
qc.borland.com
Since you have JBuilder X, just go
to Tools>Quality Central, and start
submitting the report.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 06:36:46 -0500, Paul Furbacher wrote:
Dalibor Krleza wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Here I'm reporting a JBuilder X bug.
[ ... bug report snipped ...]

Have you filed a bug report at Quality Central
on this issue? Did you include the detailed
instructions which you posted here? If so,
that's great. If not, please do so soon.
Yep. That was the first thing I've done.
I have posted this here for disscussion only - for people who are
experiencing same problems as I do.
Dalibor.

{smallsort}

Re:BES deployment with security roles fails

And I'm apologizing myself... I didn't mean this will so upset you. I
wanted to help. Sorry...

Dalibor Krleza wrote:
And I'm apologizing myself... I didn't mean this will so upset you. I
wanted to help. Sorry...
It didn't upset me. Rather, I just wanted
to make sure that you reported your bug properly.
Thanks for doing so.