hyperlink fields?

2003-10-24 04:51:00 AM
jbuilder10
Hi,
is there any dbswing component or item, which handles hyperlinks?
I have an access-db with hyperlink fields in it. I would like to bring those
as links on my gui (in a textfield or something similar)- so I don't have to
care about associated applications to the linked files, because the system
itself handles it.
Ralph

Re:hyperlink fields?

In < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >Ralph Steins wrote:
is there any dbswing component or item, which handles hyperlinks?
I have an access-db with hyperlink fields in it. I would like to
bring those as links on my gui (in a textfield or something similar)-
Not that I know of. You mention showing a link in
a textfield -- would that be the only thing in the
textfield? Would the user just click on the textfield?
If the latter, why not use a button and add an ActionEvent
listener to it. The actionPerformed() delegate would
handle firing the open browser event.
so I don't have to care about associated applications to the linked
files, because the system itself handles it.
I don't understand what you mean by the last phrase.
Paul Furbacher [TeamB]
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:hyperlink fields?

Hi Paul,
"Paul Furbacher [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>is there any dbswing component or item, which handles hyperlinks?
>I have an access-db with hyperlink fields in it. I would like to
>bring those as links on my gui (in a textfield or something similar)-

Not that I know of. You mention showing a link in
a textfield -- would that be the only thing in the
textfield? Would the user just click on the textfield?
This is my idea
If the latter, why not use a button and add an ActionEvent
listener to it. The actionPerformed() delegate would
handle firing the open browser event.
Ok, that's possible. The only thing i have to is to handle the right
application for each type of document. That's the reason for:
>so I don't have to care about associated applications to the linked
>files, because the system itself handles it.
I don't understand what you mean by the last phrase.
I think you know the browser functionality: You click on a link and the
browser opens the linked file - independant of the associated application
(ok, app has to be registered). Same behaviour in windows explorer. You
doubleclick on a filename and the program which opens the file is started
with the file as argument. My idea behind is, that I don't have to handle
all this filetype stuff if a can use this browser or explorer functionality.
btw: Not that I am a fan of access, but this hyperlink - functionality is
really nice.
Ralph

{smallsort}

Re:hyperlink fields?

Ralph Steins wrote:

btw: Not that I am a fan of access, but this hyperlink - functionality is
really nice.

Ralph
This would be easy enough to do by simply issuing a java.net.URL call, but
to open a browser, you are going to have to make the code platform
specific.