how to change the default icon when use JBX 'native executable builder wizard'?

2005-02-04 01:00:07 AM
jbuilder3

Re:how to change the default icon when use JBX 'native executable builder wizard'?

Don't take this personally, Daniel, but you just tripped my "time for
the lecture" flag.
1. Do NOT place your question in the subject of the message. Place it
in the body of your message.
The question was :
how to change the default icon when use JBX 'native executable builder
wizard'?
2. Use Google to at least try to see if this question has been asked
and answered in the past. In this case it has... numerous times.
www.google.ca/groups&lr=&num=20&hl=en
(watch for wrapping on the URL)
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:how to change the default icon when use JBX 'native executable builder wizard'?

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:41:01 -0700, "Lori M Olson [TeamB]"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
The question was :

how to change the default icon when use JBX 'native executable builder
wizard'?

2. Use Google to at least try to see if this question has been asked
and answered in the past. In this case it has... numerous times.

www.google.ca/groups&lr=&num=20&hl=en

(watch for wrapping on the URL)
There is no really answer to this question. All you can find there is
the advice to hack the executable and to replace the icon.
IMHO this is a true bug of the J-builder.
I want to have it set to my icon each time I create the executable,
because in my case it is not acceptable to hack the executable.
And I don't believe that this is different for any developing process
driven by strict standards, where at the end the customer gets the
source and compiles it to the executables as part of the acceptance
test.
Or would you dare to recommend your customers to hack the file and
replace the icon?
Regards,
Zoran

{smallsort}

Re:how to change the default icon when use JBX 'native executable builder wizard'?

The old option is still valid - use a third party Java launcher or write
your own.
- Alexey.

On 2/4/2005 at 5:16:00 AM, Zoran Pjevic wrote:
There is no really answer to this question. All you can find there is
the advice to hack the executable and to replace the icon.

IMHO this is a true bug of the J-builder.
A bug is an unintended behavior of a program or system. Obviously, there
was no intent to provide the ability to set the icon, so this cannot be
classified as a bug. It is just a feature that you would like JBuilder
to have.
This brings up the question of whether it would make sense to add this
feature to JBuilder. My opinion is that it definitely would not, and I
suspect that you would get the same reaction from Borland. Of course, I
do not speak for Borland, so you will have to talk to them to get their
opinion. In any case, here are some of the reasons that I do not think
it would make sense to include this feature in JBuilder:
First, the idea of embedding an icon within an executable file so that it
will used by a filesystem browser is very system dependent. As far as I
know, other systems I am familiar with only associate the icon with the
file type, and this could depend on the desktop environment and/or the
browser.
But more important, adding this feature would require including all sorts
of operating system-specific code for linking the native executables.
JBuilder is almost all platform-neutral, so adding this feature would be
very costly. Given that you can easily find Java launchers on the net and
build them with your favorite icon embedded, the benefits to adding this
feature are far outweighed by the costs.
--
Regards,
John McGrath [TeamB]

< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>The question was :
>
>how to change the default icon when use JBX 'native executable builder
>wizard'?
>
>2. Use Google to at least try to see if this question has been asked
>and answered in the past. In this case it has... numerous times.
>
>www.google.ca/groups&lr=&num=20&hl=en
>
>(watch for wrapping on the URL)

There is no really answer to this question. All you can find there is
the advice to hack the executable and to replace the icon.

The question was "how to change the default icon".
The REAL answer is YOU CANNOT.
The answer I gave shows the work arounds that let you do this.
IMHO this is a true bug of the J-builder.

I want to have it set to my icon each time I create the executable,
because in my case it is not acceptable to hack the executable.
? Use Ant. Write an Ant task that does this. Set up the Ant task to
run subsequently to the packaging stage. Done.
t.

Or would you dare to recommend your customers to hack the file and
replace the icon?

Who exactly do you think are "my customers"? I don't work for Borland.
Nor do any of TeamB. These newsgroups are peer supported. Borland
employees are not required to read or answer questions in these groups.
www.teamb.com
If you want Borland to do something about this issue, complaining in the
newsgroups is about as effective as whistling in the wind. Use the
official channels Borland provides if you want Borland to address this
issue:
1. Support incidents
2. Quality Central
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:how to change the default icon when use JBX 'native executable builder wizard'?

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 10:37:16 -0700, "Lori M Olson [TeamB]"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Zoran Pjevic wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:41:01 -0700, "Lori M Olson [TeamB]"
>< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>

>>The question was :
>>
>>how to change the default icon when use JBX 'native executable builder
>>wizard'?
>>
>>2. Use Google to at least try to see if this question has been asked
>>and answered in the past. In this case it has... numerous times.
>>
>>www.google.ca/groups&lr=&num=20&hl=en
>>
>>(watch for wrapping on the URL)
>

>There is no really answer to this question. All you can find there is
>the advice to hack the executable and to replace the icon.

The question was "how to change the default icon".

The REAL answer is YOU CANNOT.

The answer I gave shows the work arounds that let you do this.

>IMHO this is a true bug of the J-builder.
>
>I want to have it set to my icon each time I create the executable,
>because in my case it is not acceptable to hack the executable.

? Use Ant. Write an Ant task that does this. Set up the Ant task to
run subsequently to the packaging stage. Done.

t.

>Or would you dare to recommend your customers to hack the file and
>replace the icon?

Who exactly do you think are "my customers"? I don't work for Borland.
Nor do any of TeamB. These newsgroups are peer supported. Borland
employees are not required to read or answer questions in these groups.

www.teamb.com

If you want Borland to do something about this issue, complaining in the
newsgroups is about as effective as whistling in the wind. Use the
official channels Borland provides if you want Borland to address this
issue:

1. Support incidents
2. Quality Central
Thanks for your clarification.