JDK 1.4.2 on Panther: same problem!

2003-11-13 06:58:09 AM
jbuilder13
"Duane Schwartzwald" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

Help!

I was running JBuilder9 from Mac 10.2 and then I updated to JDK 1.4.2. Now JBuilder still runs, but when I try to compile, it says that java.lang is not in the classpath or the bootclasspath.

I've tried adding those specific jars to the Project|Properties|Paths|Required Libraries, but no change.

I'm using Mr. Minnegerodes script to launch (THANKS!).

I'm at a loss. I'm new to JBuilder (I'm evaluating it against Eclipse) so I'm probably missing something really basic.

Anyone help?

Thanks,

duane
Hi Duane,
I'm facing the same situation. Panther, JBuilder9 and I just updated to JDK 1.4.2. I got the same message: fatal error, java.lang missing in the classpath or the bootclasspath.
I already looked for a solution in many forums, but I couldn't resolve the thing.
I often found the indication that JBuilder has to point to the good version of JDK: you can check this in the "Project" menu, "Project properties". There, you can choose between JDK 1.4.1 and JDK 1.4.2 =>choose 1.4.2.
But for me, the problem remains the same after this modification! JBuilder is now pointing to JDK 1.4.2, but I still have error messages: ""WelcomeApp.java" : Erreur fatale : impossible de localiser package java.lang dans le chemin de classes ou le bootclasspath"
So, actually the only help I can give you is: you're not alone! But I didn't find the solution...
Good luck and tell me if you find the good way!
Bye
Gabriel

Re:JDK 1.4.2 on Panther: same problem!

Great! Someone else with exactly the same problem.
Actually, I found the same error message in a post (I searched) from someone
in May or June. No answers or resolution. Just the problem. But not 1.4.2.
I tried switching my CurrentJDK to 1.3.1, but then JBuilder fails to start. Yes,
other programs still worked (ImageJ for example).
It seems so odd that it can't find java.lang, but the program is running.
Anyone got any ideas?
duane

Duane Schwartzwald wrote:
Great! Someone else with exactly the same problem.

Actually, I found the same error message in a post (I searched) from
someone in May or June. No answers or resolution. Just the problem.
Who was that, and what problem exactly? Your messages
have not included the stack trace, which if I'm not
mistaken, always include an error message number.
If you could include that information, it would be
more helpful. Just copy the content of the Message Pane
and post it here as a follow up to this message.
You also haven't responded to my question as to how
you installed JBuilder 9 on Panther. Did you copy
an existing installation from a Windows or Linux
machine, or did you install from the CD using
Tony Piselli's instructions? Did you install to
the default location? Have you tried starting
JBuilder 9 from the icon in the installation folder?
These are all important parts of doing the full
diagnostic work up.
I tried switching my CurrentJDK to 1.3.1, but then JBuilder fails to
start. Yes, other programs still worked (ImageJ for example).
JBuilder versions 8, 9, and now 10, require JDK 1.4.x.
So, it's not surprising that if you switched the JDK
setting in the shell script to 1.3.1, it failed to run.
Lots of other Java programs were written for 1.2 or 1.3,
e.g., your ImageJ (don't know it), JBuilder 6 and 7.
They should run just fine without any monkeying around
with the app bundle, if Apple has handled things correctly
in the 1.4.2 release. (As I said earlier, I don't have
Panther, so I cannot test these things out in 1.4.2.)
It seems so odd that it can't find java.lang, but the program is
running.
Yes, it is confusing. But there's a difference between
running the program itself, and getting all the pieces
together to actually compile. What those differences
are I cannot exactly say. Some have suggested that
it may have to do with environmental settings, yet
I haven't been able to discern any differences.
So, before we go round and round again, please
answer some of my questions.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

{smallsort}

Re:JDK 1.4.2 on Panther: same problem!

Paul,
Sorry about not responding. I've done the research and here is what I think
you are looking for.
Someone else with this problem:
Message 1528, XXXX@XXXXX.COM on 22 June 2003
The message windows says:
"WelcomeApp.java": Fatal Error: Unable to locate package java.lang in classpath or bootclasspath
"WelcomeFrame.java": Fatal Error: Unable to locate package java.lang in classpath or bootclasspath
That's the ENTIRE contents of the message pane. Note that this is the
sample application that shows up on first launch.
There are no error message numbers.
I downloaded the Solaris version of the JBuilder9 Personal from the Borland
web site. I installed it using the installer.
I ran it using Minnegerodes script. Got the error.
I changed to using an app built with Jar Bundler and the Info.plist you
provided (Thanks!). Got the error. But I now have a nice app. I even
created an icon for it. Still can't compile anything.
I at first thought this was a Panther and 1.4.2 problem, but then I found
message 1528 and I now think there is something else going on. I was
using (evaluating, really) JBuilder before changing to Panther. I was almost
to the point of deciding to purchase JBuilder, but Eclipse is starting to look
pretty good again...
Have I missed anything else you may need?
Thanks for any help,
duane

Duane Schwartzwald wrote:
[...]

I have to run for an appointment at the doctor's office,
so I'll just respond quickly with this:
1. can you revert to 1.4.1? I think the release notes for
1.4.2 says something about doing this. If you can, there
is evidence that JBuilder 9 runs on Panther.
2. if you are considering buying JBuilder, you might
consider waiting until JBuilder X Foundation is released.
Since "X" is officially supported for OS X, I expect
that some of these snafus may have been ironed out.
Not guaranteeing, but there's hope. By that time,
Apple's own understanding of how its 1.4.2 interacts
with real-world Java apps will be better, and there
may have been fixes for these kinds of things.
Remember, when 1.4.1 came out, you had to monkey with
your JBuilder 6 and 7 installations to get them to
run. Then, when Apple released the update to 1.4.1
in August or September, JB 6 and 7 "just worked", no
additional monkeying around was necessary.
So, I expect the same thing is going to happen
with 1.4.2.
I'll try to cover more of your last message later.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:
Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?
Thank you.

Re:JDK 1.4.2 on Panther: same problem!

Paul,
Thanks for the help! JBuilder9 now works.
Here's the (edited) history:
I bought a new Mac G5 and installed Jaguar.
JBuilder9 ran fine.
One week later I installed Panther, using their upgrade kit.
I then installed the Java 1.4.1 update.
JBuilder9 quit working with the weird error message.
Much trouble ensued, but you helped keep me from abandoning JBuilder.
I reinstalled Java from CD.
I reinstalled the update.
JBuilder9 works.
Apple really screwed up the Java 1.4.1 installation. In fact, it seems that
Apple has really screwed up Java, and their image, in the last few weeks. I'm
thinking they need some damage control.
I'ts almost enough to drive me to Linux (but not enough to drive me to
Windows!). :-)
Thanks again,
duane